Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:19:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?  (Read 4555 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »

There are exactly two black Republicans in the House: Will Hurd and Mia Love.

What's insane about Elijah Cummings? This is an honest question; I don't know much about him.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »

Because the GOP has successfully driven almost all but the most insanely right-wing black Republicans into the Democratic Party. You can read more about that here.

Also, it's not like the Republican Party's very (and increasingly) white base wants a "credible conservative politician" of any race. Many of them don't even want a politician in the typical sense. Hence, Trump and Carson.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

There are exactly two black Republicans in the House: Will Hurd and Mia Love.

What's insane about Elijah Cummings? This is an honest question; I don't know much about him.
I'm not much of a Love fan. I've always felt like her message was "I'm black but don't worry, I'm not like those other black people". Will Hurd represents a Hispanic area in Texas on the Rio Grande.

Cummings had some tirades in House committee sessions that made him look pretty bad. I don't know specifics. I'll just admit right now that I follow the Senate a lot more closely than the House. It's just a lot harder to follow 435 people who are up every two years than 100 people who are only up every 6 years, and anything the House passes must make it through the Senate anyway.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

How exactly is Tim Scott not credible? I'm obviously not a fan of his views, and I'm even less of a fan of how conservatives use him to claim that the Tea Party can't possibly be racist, but he at least holds federal elected office, isn't scandal-tainted, and isn't just a random far-right activist.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »

Establishment
STEELE
CONDI Rice moderate
Kenneth Blackwell
POWELL McCain conservative

Tea Party
JC Watts
Herman Cain
Dr Carson

It's a shame that someone like Condi Rice or Colin Powell hasn't been convinced to run. To imply that the GOP doesn't have "credible African-American conservative politicians" is kind of silly. It all depends on what one believes to be "credible", right? Perhaps the most qualified folks are smart enough not to want the job...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »

One of the top ten most powerful people in the world from 2005-2009 was a black Republican named Condi Rice. She was perhaps our greatest Secretary of State, she didn't use her position to be a U.N. puppet but instead sought to bring health to those in underdeveloped countries and she sought to bring our allies to the table in an effort to work to defeat our enemies.

Even for you, implying that Condi was a more competent SoS than, say, Madison or JQA or Seward Or Fish or Webster or Dulles or Acheson or Hughes or Jefferson (to name but a few!) is remarkably blinkered.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »

Establishment
STEELE
CONDI Rice moderate
Kenneth Blackwell
POWELL McCain conservative

Tea Party
JC Watts
Herman Cain
Dr Carson

It's a shame that someone like Condi Rice or Colin Powell hasn't been convinced to run. To imply that the GOP doesn't have "credible African-American conservative politicians" is kind of silly. It all depends on what one believes to be "credible", right?

No it depends on has this person even won a local election for dog catcher.  Let's see Colin Powell or Condi climb the Republican ranks of elected officials and then we'll talk about the presidency.  President Obama ran for multiple offices and worked his way up.  I have a feeling if Condi or Powell attempted that in the Republican party they wouldn't get far.  It's just the nature of that electorate.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

Other than Obama, the only ones the Left really has are Loretta Lynch and Cory Booker.

Are we defining credible as "potentially able to win the Presidency"? Because that's a really high threshold for anyone. If we're talking about sane, elected politicians with substantial accomplishments, the Dems have plenty of others. Just look at the House alone.
I meant "nationally-known and credible". I can't think of a single one in the House that meets this standard. But I don't know much about James Clyburn or the guy that represents Kansas City. I do not count Charles Rangel or Elijah Cummings as "sane", though Cummings is more sane than Rangel by a long shot. I imagine there are some "credible" black Republicans in the House out of a 245-member caucus as well.

Actually, I forgot Jeh Johnson. He is a real pragmatist in an era of insane idealism, in the cabinet position where a guy like that is probably needed the most.
Charlie Rangel is just really old though. I think he should have retired a few years ago.
hopper
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »

Because the GOP has successfully driven almost all but the most insanely right-wing black Republicans into the Democratic Party. You can read more about that here.

Also, it's not like the Republican Party's very (and increasingly) white base wants a "credible conservative politician" of any race. Many of them don't even want a politician in the typical sense. Hence, Trump and Carson.
The Republican Base is no more white than it was in 1980 though. The only minority group that Republicans had in the 1980's that the Dems now have is Asians. The Hispanic Vote has mostly been static in terms of PVI since 1988 except for a bump up during the 2000's with Bush W. and McCain on the ballot.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »

Colin Powell: Too liberal, connected to one of the greatest foreign policy blunders of all time.

Condoleeza Rice: Too liberal, connected to one of the greatest foreign policy blunders of all time.

Michael Steele: Actually an idiot.

T.W. Shannon: Who?

Tim Scott: Stands a strong chance to win the nomination in 2020.

J.C. Watts: Didn't want to be president.

Steele's not an idiot, but he' not a "movement conservative".  He's really a moderate.

Allen West was an example, but he's now a pundit.

Rice is pro-choice.

Powell is a self-described Rockefeller Republican who endorsed Obama both times
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »

It's a shame that someone like Condi Rice or Colin Powell hasn't been convinced to run. To imply that the GOP doesn't have "credible African-American conservative politicians" is kind of silly. It all depends on what one believes to be "credible", right?

No it depends on has this person even won a local election for dog catcher.  Let's see Colin Powell or Condi climb the Republican ranks of elected officials and then we'll talk about the presidency.  President Obama ran for multiple offices and worked his way up.  I have a feeling if Condi or Powell attempted that in the Republican party they wouldn't get far.  It's just the nature of that electorate.

My point exactly. For you, a credible candidate is one that has been elected to public office. By your criteria, Rice and Powell would not be credible candidates. Many people, myself included, would respectfully disagree.
bobloblaw
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 11:21:46 AM »

Who are the credible black Dems? None in the senate, no govs. Just racially gerrymandered incompetents and criminals ( Alcee Hastings) in the House
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »

There are far more well-known black Republicans than there are in the general public.
bobloblaw
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

Who are the credible black Dems? None in the senate, no govs. Just racially gerrymandered incompetents and criminals ( Alcee Hastings) in the House
??
Who are the qualified black Dems?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 11:51:43 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2015, 11:53:21 PM by Zioneer »

??
Who are the qualified black Dems?

How about Deval Patrick, two-term governor of Massachusetts? Cory Booker, two-term Mayor of Newark (which has improved significantly since he became mayor) and now Senator from New Jersey? Val Demings, the well-regarded (and relatively moderate) Orlando Florida police chief and likely next Congresswoman from Florida's 10th district?

Hakeem Jeffries, a well-regarded two-term Representative (though he is from a black majority district?)Anthony Foxx, the former Mayor of Charlotte and now Secretary of Transportation? Kasim Reed, Mayor of Atlanta and possible statewide candidate? Kamala Harris, Attorney General of California and likely next Senator from California? Karen Bass, former Speaker of the California House and now member of Congress?

So what was that about no credible black Dems?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 01:19:18 AM »

I'm honestly amazed that there are any black Republican politicians at all.

Also, bobloblaw is a racist old man and should probably best be ignored.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies