Ouija Board Rape On America's Campuses - Liberal Spiritualism Gone Too Far.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:30:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ouija Board Rape On America's Campuses - Liberal Spiritualism Gone Too Far.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ouija Board Rape On America's Campuses - Liberal Spiritualism Gone Too Far.  (Read 1665 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »

An excellent and horrifying piece from the New York Times here about a deeply disturbing case in which a (white, liberal) professor raped a (black) disabled man by using a ouija board scam known as "facilitated communication".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But the important quote here?

The worst/best part is she was a Professor in Ethics.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »

What does this have to do with race or liberalism?!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »

What does this have to do with Spiritualism?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »

This is a tremendously disturbing story isn't it? Not unlike (but even worse given, well, rape) all of that unpleasantness with 'recovered memories'. Why does this happen?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:51:18 PM »

Facilitated Communication is a complete hoax.  When the person facilitating communication doesn't know what question is being asked, it fails every time.  In addition, facilitated communication requires the communicator to believe that it will work.  So someone who is impartial will never get results. 

The facilitators, either consciously or subconsciously, are the ones speaking here.  I don't know if this woman is lying to the world or herself, but she's lying.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »

My favorite part, one of the few parts that made me feel any emotion other than horror and disgust:

Get wrecked, Anna.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:27:14 PM »

Could someone with more knowledge explain to me how popular "facilitated communication" is?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »

Could someone with more knowledge explain to me how popular "facilitated communication" is?

I have autism and grew up in an environment with a lot of other people with autism and cerebral palsy and I had never heard of it until an hour ago.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

This is a tremendously disturbing story isn't it? Not unlike (but even worse given, well, rape) all of that unpleasantness with 'recovered memories'. Why does this happen?

I think the answer here is 'social workers'. In the 1970s social workers working in mental health cottoned on to the truly insane double bind theory of schizophrenia and the refrigerator mother theory of autism. While I don't know enough of the history to declare anything with great confidence, I do know that these theories had a great advantage from a social workers pov - they gave more power to social workers and declared that they could save their patients while the patients' family and 'society' had failed.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »

What a disgusting and truly horrible situation.  It's extremely upsetting that anyone is still using facilitated "communication", let alone for something like this.

Psychology classes aren't required in primary or secondary education, so that every person in this country could learn the rudiments of how people work? Tongue  Or, in this case, hear the phrases "Clever Hans" or "double-blind experiment" every once in a while.  (With regard to "recovered memories", looking at all of the reactions to Ben Carson, the phrase "false memories" would be really relevant for people to know right now.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »

WTF
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2015, 10:11:41 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

WTF IS THIS S***?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »

Some people have mental disabilities so severe that they can't communicate with the outside world.  Proponents of facilitated communication believe that many of these people are actually quite intelligent, but are 'trapped' inside of their own minds, their bodies physically incapable of communicating. 

In order to fix this, the facilitator attempts to stabilize the person's arm or hand, in order to allow them to point to or type letters out.  Just like with Ouija boards the facilitator will end up, either consciously or subconsciously, spelling out what they hope the hear.

Facilitated communication has been completely discredited by a vast number of studies.  If the facilitator can't hear what the patient is being asked, no result is ever obtainable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies