Do you support common core?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:07:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support common core?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you support common core?
Yes (Right-Wing)

No (Right-Wing)

Yes (Left-Wing)

No (Left-Wing)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Do you support common core?  (Read 3429 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »

I have very little respect for people who oppose Common Core. It's one of those things where opposition signals that you're an ignorant who is easily swayed by rambling conspiracy theorists on the Internet.

Yea, because let's just take away the rights of students and teachers to learn at that classroom's pace. Because the government is better than the teacher in judging her students and what they need to learn. Standardized Testing is also BS, because you spend months studying for a test, while learning nothing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

I have very little respect for people who oppose Common Core. It's one of those things where opposition signals that you're an ignorant who is easily swayed by rambling conspiracy theorists on the Internet.

Yea, because let's just take away the rights of students and teachers to learn at that classroom's pace. Because the government is better than the teacher in judging her students and what they need to learn. Standardized Testing is also BS, because you spend months studying for a test, while learning nothing.

Students don't have rights and employees have to do what their employer says.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 11:22:31 PM »

Concerns about "teaching the test" are so stupid. Every test has to be taught for. Or do you propose testing people on random information they never learned? Or do you oppose tests in general? How will we know if people are qualified or not, if we just give everyone a gold star for attendance.
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2015, 11:58:35 PM by Extrabase500 »

Concerns about "teaching the test" are so stupid. Every test has to be taught for. Or do you propose testing people on random information they never learned? Or do you oppose tests in general? How will we know if people are qualified or not, if we just give everyone a gold star for attendance.

Lol. Standardized testing is PROVEN to be a failure.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »

Actually they are extraordinarily legitimate concerns. Schools that teach to a test learn absolutely nothing. America is at a loss for critical thought. The vast majority of honors students have little ability to analyze anything in depth, fail to intuitively understand what they are actually doing (just repeatedly following "a process"), and are very poor at developing original and creative thoughts. The education system is a joke, and it is because we give everyone a gold star for attendance. That's what these tests do. Even in college, grade inflation had made getting an A absolutely meaningless. People don't know how to think in the abstract. Only to repeat exactly as they are shown. And I ironically repeat - that is just the elite students. Can you imagine the other 95%?

(Please note, this is not necessarily an indictment of the thread topic.)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »

No, but I would support it if federal money wasn't attached. I have nothing against the idea of states coming together to write a common curriculum, but if it is truly state-led, as its proponents would defend, the federal government ought to be neutral to its implementation.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 11:59:20 PM »

No, but I would support it if federal money wasn't attached. I have nothing against the idea of states coming together to write a common curriculum, but if it is truly state-led, as its proponents would defend, the federal government ought to be neutral to its implementation.

Again, 2+2 does not change based on what state you're in. Why should it be taught differently by state? You're just knee jerk opposing something because it involves the federal government but the federal government's involvement is totally rational and justified. Also, it would lead to less bureaucracy. You're literally proposing 50 different systems all at once vs. a single one.
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »

Common core is teaching kids (well public education in general) to be complete dumbed down idiots who can barley even talk.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 02:14:06 AM »

Yes (Right-Wing)

Common core is teaching kids (well public education in general) to be complete dumbed down idiots who can barley even talk.

Which one of the standards does this?
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »

Yes (Right-Wing)

Which one of the standards does this?

http://www.thenationalpatriot.com/tag/225/

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/22What-Parents-Rail-Against-Common-Core-Math-259363861.html

Welcome to "Obamas" America.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 03:00:31 AM »

Because bush didn't do anything like this..
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »

Bush did and was a total failure. No child left behind is a total scam. I just say welcome to "Obamas" America because he's the current puppet in charge.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »

Yes (right-wing)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »

No, not propaganda or misinformed media reports, an actual standard.  Which one of the standards at http://www.corestandards.org/read-the-standards/ do you have a problem with?

Common Core was an initiative of the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers.  President Obama is not a member of either of those organizations.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »

I support the concept, but not the implementation.  While I believe that there needs to be some federal oversight of education, I generally believe that standards should be handled by states.  I certainly don't get all uptight about it like a lot of right-wingers do, and I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies