Opinion of Ho Chi Minh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:10:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ho Chi Minh
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Ho Chi Minh?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Ho Chi Minh  (Read 3849 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2015, 11:03:40 PM by Intell »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh

I'll say an extremely flawed character but definitely better than the French.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:36:01 PM »

HP. Let's not get so caught up in condemning American involvement in Vietnam (which, for the record, was immoral and stupid) that we forget that the North Vietnamese regime was truly horrible.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:48:05 PM »

HP. Let's not get so caught up in condemning American involvement in Vietnam (which, for the record, was immoral and stupid) that we forget that the North Vietnamese regime was truly horrible.
^^^^
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:21:25 AM »

HP, though probably the least bad of any Communist dictator.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:10:07 AM »

HP
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »

The lesser evil, but still a Marxist-Leninist dictator. HP.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »

Communist=HP
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

HP. Although I did get to see his body when I was in Hanoi, and even in death he is still a pretty awe-inspiring figure, even if for the wrong reasons.
Hydera

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »

I think its funny how Lenin, Mao and Ho. Despite fighting for communism for their whole lives. Their countries eventually adopt capitalism

All they get in the end is being literally forced to become semi-wax zombies. I could be wrong but i did remember when i went to Beijing years ago you had to pay for a ticket which was ironic.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »

Yeah, it's really horrible to make sure that people have a place to sleep, food to eat, adequate medical care, and a job. Roll Eyes

I think its funny how Lenin, Mao and Ho. Despite fighting for communism for their whole lives. Their countries eventually adopt capitalism

Interestingly enough, the USSR was never capitalist at any point during it's 70 year lifespan and capitalism itself was not restored there until the USSR was overthrown by internal counterrevolutionary elements among the Stalinist bureaucracy and external economic and military pressures. Likewise, both Vietnam and China retain state-owned, state-directed economies, in spite of adopting market-oriented reforms since the 1970s. Neither of those countries are capitalist, however.

As for the OP, Ho Chi Minh was a Stalinist despot who purged the Trotskyists (i.e. the actual Marxists) that made up the majority of the Indochinese Communist Party in the 1940s and set back the struggle for independence by making deal after deal with the Western powers and only moving to actual resistance whenever popular opposition pushed him in that direction. That said, the Vietnamese struggle for independence and unification was a progressive historical struggle that wiped out capitalism in Indochina (where allied communists came to power in Laos, and later (after the stamping out of the primitivist Khmer Rouge by the Vietnamese) Cambodia) and uplifted the poor peasantry of the country, greatly enhancing social welfare for the masses of these countries, improving literacy, and opening up equal opportunity for women.

That his Stalinist forebears have moved away from all these things in an attempt to pursue 'peaceful coexistence' with Western imperialism is not surprising given it's unstable social position and need to balance itself against a (growing) Vietnamese working class with social power that could threaten its ability to rule. Nonetheless, Vietnam remains a (bureaucratically deformed) workers' state today, one in need of a political revolution to oust  Ho's heirs and place the workers and poor farmers of Vietnam in power.

Voted FF in the poll in protest of the anti-communist garbage in this thread.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 01:28:17 AM »

He was a dictator who killed a lot of people, but was better than the South Vietnamese leaders, and at least at the beginning supposedly modeled his independence movement on America's (complete with a Declaration of Independence, I think). So FF, I suppose.

I don't know what TNF is talking about, but I do agree that in many ways, the Vietnamese are better off then they were before Ho Chi Minh. The dictatorial stuff wasn't the best way to go about it, however.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »

Yeah, it's really horrible to make sure that people have a place to sleep, food to eat, adequate medical care, and a job. Roll Eyes

Interestingly enough, the USSR was never capitalist at any point during it's 70 year lifespan and capitalism itself was not restored there until the USSR was overthrown by internal counterrevolutionary elements among the Stalinist bureaucracy and external economic and military pressures. Likewise, both Vietnam and China retain state-owned, state-directed economies, in spite of adopting market-oriented reforms since the 1970s. Neither of those countries are capitalist, however.

As for the OP, Ho Chi Minh was a Stalinist despot who purged the Trotskyists (i.e. the actual Marxists) that made up the majority of the Indochinese Communist Party in the 1940s and set back the struggle for independence by making deal after deal with the Western powers and only moving to actual resistance whenever popular opposition pushed him in that direction. That said, the Vietnamese struggle for independence and unification was a progressive historical struggle that wiped out capitalism in Indochina (where allied communists came to power in Laos, and later (after the stamping out of the primitivist Khmer Rouge by the Vietnamese) Cambodia) and uplifted the poor peasantry of the country, greatly enhancing social welfare for the masses of these countries, improving literacy, and opening up equal opportunity for women.

That his Stalinist forebears have moved away from all these things in an attempt to pursue 'peaceful coexistence' with Western imperialism is not surprising given it's unstable social position and need to balance itself against a (growing) Vietnamese working class with social power that could threaten its ability to rule. Nonetheless, Vietnam remains a (bureaucratically deformed) workers' state today, one in need of a political revolution to oust  Ho's heirs and place the workers and poor farmers of Vietnam in power.

Voted FF in the poll in protest of the anti-communist garbage in this thread.
You have been missed, dear Comrade Smiley
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »

There's no such thing.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 02:44:18 PM »

How can a communist be anti-communist?
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

filth
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »

Well, one must be careful throwing around absolutes! I can name a few fairly unsavoury anti-communists that I would label as garbage.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »

How about these guys?

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »

Reagan, and Thatcher were amazing leaders
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »

Amazing if you weren't an air traffic controller, black person (what with the CIA funneling crack-cocaine into the ghetto for the whole of the 1980s!), Nicaraguan peasant, miner, Afghan woman, etc, etc.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »

Amazing if you weren't an air traffic controller, black person (what with the CIA funneling crack-cocaine into the ghetto for the whole of the 1980s!), Nicaraguan peasant, miner, Afghan woman, etc, etc.

Reagan did the correct thing in firing the Air Traffic Controllers, black unemployment was cut in half and their wages went up between 1980 to 1988. Lol at blaming the Afghan women condition at Reagan as they were in great condition , before THE SOVIETS INVADED AND OVERTHREW THEIR STABLE GOVERMENT,  Nicargua  was horrible but it never would have happened if the Commies didnt overthrow their government in the 1970s which destabilized the country.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 02:41:08 AM »

The point being, as long as Superman thinks that at least one of those people is garbage, his point makes no sense.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »

Lets cut that down to "if you weren't a rich white American (or Briton in Thatchers case) it was amazing".
Hydera

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2015, 07:52:33 AM by Hydera »

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:59 AM »

The point being, as long as Superman thinks that at least one of those people is garbage, his point makes no sense.
They're either great or communists themselves as far as I'm concerned. I mean, it's not like communists have ever fought one another, right?

We don't talk about Trotsky.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies