Minorities and Transplants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:29:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Minorities and Transplants
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minorities and Transplants  (Read 831 times)
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »

With a lower life expectancy, should black men be considered as strongly for organ transplants as white people who statistically live longer?  I know Democrats love numbers and statistics to the point that a normal, regular person would feel cold.  So, how about it for those of you who love cold numbers?  Should blacks be allowed to have the same consideration as whites for organ transplants?  Or should we ignore data?
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:30 PM »

what
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »

what
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »

Huh? Are you asking for affirmative action for organ transplants? Pushing people up because of race on organ transplants would do little to increase life expectancy as people dying from not getting an organ in time, plus is racial discrimination of no basis. I really hope this is a troll and I am feeding it.
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »

Huh? Are you asking for affirmative action for organ transplants? Pushing people up because of race on organ transplants would do little to increase life expectancy as people dying from not getting an organ in time, plus is racial discrimination of no basis. I really hope this is a troll and I am feeding it.

Well no I'm suggesting the opposite of affirmative action in this particular situation.  Whites live longer than blacks so should whites be moved up the priority list; is another way of asking the question.  My intent isn't to sound racist though so I used better wording to sell the idea.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »

I think non-Christians should be moved to the too of the list so there is more time to save their souls. Would only be fair.
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:43:49 PM »

I think non-Christians should be moved to the too of the list so there is more time to save their souls. Would only be fair.

You would think Obama would consider race in his Obamacare.  He threw in everything else.  Do you guys think Obama would support making blacks wait longer than whites for transplants on account of life expectancy issues?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 03:18:59 AM »

I would need to see data. Lower life expectancy can be determined by a lot of factors other than genetically-tainted organs. Your idea might be better broken down with samples other than just race. This article explains the high rate of heart disease in southerners due to Civil War related famine. Malnourishment during pregnancy can affect the genetic coding of fetuses and lead to generations of negative health effects, including improper organ function.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/04/the-lingering-health-effects-of-the-civil-war/
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »

mods pls ban, obama pls drone
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2016, 07:27:04 PM by President Griffin »

There's only one problem with your underlying premise based on statistics: they're horribly, horribly wrong. The most detailed life expectancy data we have by race and by state is from Kaiser in 2010, which shows that blacks have a life expectancy four years lower than whites (74.6 to 78.9, respectively).

The CDC numbers (which don't break it down by state, as far as I know) show life expectancy at birth in 2013 being 79.1 for whites and 75.5 for blacks. The same data-set shows that black male life expectancy at birth in 2013 is 72.3, and white male life expectancy at birth in 2012 is 76.7. Female life expectancy between the two races, however, is at near parity (black females at 78.4; white females at 79.1).

Just to recap:

GenderBlackWhite
Male72.376.7
Female78.479.1
Total75.579.1

You're confusing the recent spike in middle-aged white male deaths with the notion that white male life expectancy is suddenly lower than it is among blacks. Mortality rates for whites as a whole is still lower than for non-whites. A recent spike among one sub-set of whites is not ideal, of course, but that still has not closed the gap between white and black (or white and non-white) mortality rates or life expectancy - let alone reversed it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies