Democrats and Republicans, have you ever voted for the opposition?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:35:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats and Republicans, have you ever voted for the opposition?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Democrats and Republicans, have you ever voted for the opposition?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Democrats and Republicans, have you ever voted for the opposition?  (Read 6642 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »

In my case as a registered Democrat I've voted for left-wing third parties quite a bit but never for a Republican. I did vote Libertarian once but only because the independent left-wing candidate had for some reason been endorsed by both the Greens and Libertarians.

There are certain instances though where among major party candidates i'd consider the Republican to be the lesser of two evils. In 2014 Astorino was almost preferable to Cuomo just because I think that Cuomo has been very bad in terms of moving the New York Democrats to the right and just a bad governor in general. I also didn't really mind seeing Baker defeat Coakley in MA because I have a personal hatred of Coakley given her past involvement in the day care scandal and her being involved in the prosecution of Aaron Swartz. Also Rand Paul defeating Jack Conway in 2010 I think was for the best since Conway would offer nothing other than being a blue dog whereas at least Paul is good on civil liberties.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »

I voted for a Libertarian state senator last year in an election where the only candidates were him and a Republican. Does that count? Tongue
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »

Voted for a Republican to replace my congressman (who I had previously interned with his campaign that got him elected).
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »

Voted for a Republican to replace my congressman (who I had previously interned with his campaign that got him elected).

some stance he took that you didn't like?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »

No, he was a Mayor before becoming Congressman, and it turned out after he left that he had been hiding a lot of the city's financial problems.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »

No, he was a Mayor before becoming Congressman, and it turned out after he left that he had been hiding a lot of the city's financial problems.

understood, that's pretty sleazy.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 06:30:52 PM »

Voted for four parties, but none of them were even remotely left-wing, so I guess I'll vote "No (R)".
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

I've voted for a lot of parties, candidates and coalitions, all of them (but one) ranging from left wing to centre
The one exception was Sergio Massa for president, as the candidates I preferred didn't stand a chance and he seemed the most honest of the three who could've gotten to the runoff
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »

I had the choice of voting between two conservative Republicans in a 2014 legislative race because of the "top-two" primary system we have. Went with the non-incumbent.
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »

Well at the local level such as mayor before since LA is all Democrats running...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »

I voted for a Liberal for Mayor last time.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »

Several Democrats in Iowa City run unopposed, so I guess I've *voted* for them.  I also voted for a friend's mom (a Democrat) for state senate over her Republican opponent, because who really gives a sh^t?  LOL.

I've never voted for a Democrat in a national or gubernatorial election, though.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »

Well I generally have to locally as Republican candidates stopped running for mayor and my district, even though its non-partisan races if you are supported by R's or are one you instantly lose 80% of your  support because voting Republican in my city is tantamount to being a racist hillbilly in the eyes of the populace here so I generally vote for the least liberal candidates
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 10:17:30 PM »

I mean, as a Democrat now I would still vote for Dewey Bartlett over Kathy Taylor.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »

Yes - when I was registered in NC, my State Rep. was (is) the most moderate Republican in the House and is a big advocate for nonpartisan redistricting.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 02:45:18 AM »

Yep. I voted for McKenna (R) in 2012 against Inslee, and for the Republican in one of the other down-ticket races, but I can't remember if it was State Attorney General or State Auditor. I've also voted left-wing third party in a few local races with no Republican running.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 04:02:57 AM »

The one Republican I've voted for was my neighbor/good family friend for Mayor of West Jordan, Utah in 2013. And West Jordan is both nonpartisan in municipal races and ridiculously Republican overall, so I would have had to vote for a Republican anyway.

I guess I voted for my incumbent city council member this year, and she's probably Republican.

But in partisan races, I'll never vote Republican. Libertarian, Constitution, Green, Justice, whatever, just never Republican.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »

I voted Republican for Agriculture Commissioner in 2011.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »

It'd be funny to hear the responses of Lief or King or Nagas.

"Yes, every single time I vote!"
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 03:14:05 PM »

It'd be funny to hear the responses of Lief or King or Nagas.

"Yes, every single time I vote!"

Those two are obvious Democrats with ironic Trump supporting avatars. King is the only one that's actually a Republican.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 07:54:17 PM »

I would have voted for Bob Consley in 2008, Mark Clayton in 2012, and Travis Childers in 2014.  I might have considered voting for Beshear in 2007 and Mark Pryor in 2014.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 08:35:21 PM »

Not old enough to vote, but in 2016, I'm voting for State Sen. Carolyn McGinn. She's fought consistently for schools and the environment, which I really respect. Also, I have a theory that we need moderate GOPers to serve as liaisons between parties.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »

I guess you could consider me a de-facto Republican; I frequently vote for Democrats in (non-partisan) local elections (albeit usually because only Dems are running and/or fewer non-Dems are running than seats to be filled). I also voted in the Democratic primary election last year (registered indies can vote in either primary).

As for partisan elections, I voted for Sec. of State Bill Galvin over his no-name Republican opponent (whose main campaign idea was holding elections by internet) last year. And I voted for my district's moderate Dem Governor's Councillor over her independent opponent who was mostly running to her left.

And while it's not voting for the opposition, I did pass over our DINO but dubiously-qualfied Auditor Suzanne Bump (endorsed by the conservative-populist Boston Herald) in favor of her Republican opponent, who was endorsed by the very liberal Boston Globe. That was the first time since the 1990 gubernatorial election* that both papers backed the "opposite" party's candidate.

*Between Pat Buchanan-esque Dem John Silber and Charlie Baker's mentor Bill Weld.

Voted yes (R).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »

Yes - when I was registered in NC, my State Rep. was (is) the most moderate Republican in the House and is a big advocate for nonpartisan redistricting.
Could you tell us who it is to primary Thom Tillis?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »

I have indeed. I voted Republican for State Rep in 2014, the only time I've voted for a Republican against a Democrat.

I've also voted Third Party before.

I also voted in the GOP primary in Illinois in 2014. There were no contested Dem primaries and I wanted to save my moderate Republican State Rep (different one than I described above, actually, as I moved in between the primary and the general).

Looking ahead to 2016, I'm really unsure if I will be casting a vote for any Republican. I will vote D for President and I will vote for Tammy Duckworth. I will vote for Brad Schneider in IL-10. Both State Senate and State Rep will be on my ballot. The presumed GOP nominee for Senate is a tea party nut, so I'll vote D. The presumed GOP nom for State Rep seems more reasonable, but we'll see. As for local races, we'll see. I haven't looked at them yet.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies