Slovenia referendum on teh gays, Dec 20th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:11:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Slovenia referendum on teh gays, Dec 20th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Slovenia referendum on teh gays, Dec 20th  (Read 6674 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

Where do you get your results, David? Wikipedia and some Slovenian newspaper website linked from it have 52% for, 47% against.

Slovenian newspaper Delo. Apparently it has become even worse (61-39 against), but it is also clear that this result isn't final.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »

Where do you get your results, David? Wikipedia and some Slovenian newspaper website linked from it have 52% for, 47% against.

Slovenian newspaper Delo. Apparently it has become even worse (61-39 against), but it is also clear that this result isn't final.

Okay. Results aren't final though, so there is still hope Tongue
I see from the regional map on that site you linked that the region Maribor is in has 70.4% no, which seems a heavily unlikely result to me, so maybe the cities come in last?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

I think that such score is/will be rather effect of better mobilization of "no" option supporters, although it was still too little to get quorum.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2015, 02:24:09 PM by DavidB. »

Well, as equal rights should not depend on the popular vote, I really have no problem with "no" winning the referendum yet not reaching the quorum, thus leading SSM to be introduced.

Why do you think it is unlikely for Maribor to vote against SSM heavily, Cranberry?
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »

Well, as equal rights should not depend on the popular vote, I really have no problem with "no" winning the referendum yet not reaching the quorum, thus leading SSM to be introduced.

What equal rights? Homosexuals can enter marriage union like normal people.
As for the introducing, why so? There is no quorum - there is no implementation. Govt. don't need such result to implement any changes if they support so called "SSM" and if they wanted to do that they would introduced that earlier, especially that Slovenia now have centre-left cabinet.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »

You are not seriously arguing that because of the fact that gay people can marry someone of a different gender, there are equal rights, are you?

As for the introducing, why so? There is no quorum - there is no implementation. Govt. don't need such result to implement any changes if they support so called "SSM" and if they wanted to do that they would introduced that earlier, especially that Slovenia now have centre-left cabinet.
I don't understand what you mean. If there are not enough "no" voters, then SSM will automatically be introduced, because parliament already passed a law to do so. This referendum was triggered by people who wanted to prevent that, but if the "no" quorum is not reached, SSM will be introduced.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »

You are not seriously arguing that because of the fact that gay people can marry someone of a different gender, there are equal rights, are you?

I don't understand what you mean. If there are not enough "no" voters, then SSM will automatically be introduced, because parliament already passed a law to do so. This referendum was triggered by people who wanted to prevent that, but if the "no" quorum is not reached, SSM will be introduced.

1. Yes I am.
2. Didn't know, my bad.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »

It is actually going to be close. 343k need to vote against in order to prevent SSM from being introduced; Delo now says 323k did so, and these are not yet the final results.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »

1. Yes I am.
2. Didn't know, my bad.

Then you're a dumb ass.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »

1. Yes I am.
2. Didn't know, my bad.

Then you're a dumb ass.

:')

354.004 voted no, as for 93.40% counted votes.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »

Yes, it seems that SSM won't be introduced because the quorum has been reached. Cranberry was right.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »

Why do you think it is unlikely for Maribor to vote against SSM heavily, Cranberry?

It's the second-biggest city, and seemed to me as, well, quite Austrian when I was there Tongue
Generally though, I assumed the big cities were going to vote more for SSM as the rural countryside.

This is bad news for sure, but at least I was right with my early prediction, so that's that Tongue

Seriously though, this is really crap. The most depressing thing about it is that it already was law, that people there already had equal rights, and now it's taken from them by some intolerant bigots. It is worse than just a normal referendum against SSM in that it is actually a step backwards.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2015, 03:01:10 PM by DavidB. »

The most depressing thing about it is that it already was law, that people there already had equal rights, and now it's taken from them by some intolerant bigots. It is worse than just a normal referendum against SSM in that it is actually a step backwards.
I don't think that's true. It wasn't introduced yet, even if parliament had voted for it. It would be introduced only after the referendum. No marriages will be annulled.

Still very bad, of course. I hereby invite all Slovenian gay people to come to the Netherlands Smiley
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »

Eh, today butthurt is on the liberal side. Although maybe govt if it already have been planning to implement that they will ignore result (350k is not that much) or make some legal loophole for gayunions? They have majority, but probably that is not so important issue for them to risk so much.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »

The point is that they cannot ignore the result; it is binding. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Slovenian institutional design, but I am pretty sure a new parliamentary vote would be needed in order to introduce SSM, which opens up the possibility for a new referendum. This would likely be organized, lead to a similar outcome, and make the government look bad/undemocratic. No, I think the introduction of SSM will sadly be shelved for the next, say, 5 years.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 03:19:18 PM »

The point is that they cannot ignore the result; it is binding. I am not very much up to date as to Slovenian institutional design but I am pretty sure a new parliamentary vote would be needed in order to introduce SSM, which could trigger the same referendum procedure. This would likely lead to a similar outcome and make the government look bad/undemocratic. No, I think the introduction of SSM will sadly be shelved for the next, say, 5 years.

It is binding because of Slovene constitution? Organizing referendum is costly from the financial point of view, probably even if they would be able to renew whole legislation process in this Slovene parliament term they wouldn't do that soon. I guess as you say there will be 5 years without such initiatives.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »

Time to cut grants to organisations/churches that caused the referendum, then.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2015, 03:56:03 PM by TDAS04 »

According to Reuters, after 96% of votes being counted, it's 63-37 against SSM.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-slovenia-rights-idUSKBN0U30BS20151220

Disgusting.  
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2015, 04:07:07 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

Noooo Voldemort won. At least I can take solace that people who oppose gay marriage are more likely to be massive losers that vote in some moronic referendum five days before Christmas while everyone else parties and eats.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »

Noooo Voldemort won. At least I can take solace that people who oppose gay marriage are more likely to be massive losers that vote in some moronic referendum five days before Christmas while everyone else parties and eats.

Roll Eyes
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »

Lel there is still advent, not Christmas. Also, there is Sunday so probably a lot of people opposing could vote after/before Sunday mass. While gluttonous part of society were eating and "partying".
And Voldemort was also magician (maybe even liberal), wasn't he? (actually I am not 100% sure as I don't know Harry Potter well)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »

Voldemort is a a conservative magician, of course. He nose nothing about progressivism.
PetrSokol
Rookie
Czech Republic

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »

It's the second-biggest city, and seemed to me as, well, quite Austrian when I was there Tongue
Generally though, I assumed the big cities were going to vote more for SSM as the rural countryside.

This is bad news for sure, but at least I was right with my early prediction, so that's that Tongue

Seriously though, this is really crap. The most depressing thing about it is that it already was law, that people there already had equal rights, and now it's taken from them by some intolerant bigots. It is worse than just a normal referendum against SSM in that it is actually a step backwards.

It is not Maribor - city (only), it is whole region which is traditionaly the most conservative and the most cristian in all the country....
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »

Very disappointing.
swl
France

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 04:50:29 AM »

It's only a matter of years before the same question is asked again, and SSM is accepted.

Central and eastern european countries are a few years behind western or nordic Europe on this topic, but the trend is in the same direction everywhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies