Slovenia referendum on teh gays, Dec 20th (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:14:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Slovenia referendum on teh gays, Dec 20th (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slovenia referendum on teh gays, Dec 20th  (Read 6717 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« on: November 09, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »

Eh, I'd not be too sure of the results of that. It's true that if any former Yugoslavian nation does the right thing, to put it in David's words, Slovenia obviously is that one; but I'm generally very iffy about things like this - maybe it's just my own pessimistic self wanting to be proved better. A referendum giving same sex civil partnerships the same rights as heterosexual marriages - so not even about gay marriage - failed in 2012 by, I guess ten percent, though, so keep that in mind.

I don't suppose we have any early polling on that?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »

Let's hope your predictions are right, Steelers and David. I'm not so sure about that just yet, but maybe that's just me hoping to be positively rather than negatively surprised Tongue

What is the quorum for the referendum to gain effect?

However, this is still better than nothing at all, and in 2016, Slovenia will likely have same-sex marriage -- as opposed to all of its neighbors, including Italy and Austria...

Yes, Central Europe has for some reason been pretty crap on that record.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »

Where do you get your results, David? Wikipedia and some Slovenian newspaper website linked from it have 52% for, 47% against.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »

Where do you get your results, David? Wikipedia and some Slovenian newspaper website linked from it have 52% for, 47% against.

Slovenian newspaper Delo. Apparently it has become even worse (61-39 against), but it is also clear that this result isn't final.

Okay. Results aren't final though, so there is still hope Tongue
I see from the regional map on that site you linked that the region Maribor is in has 70.4% no, which seems a heavily unlikely result to me, so maybe the cities come in last?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »

Why do you think it is unlikely for Maribor to vote against SSM heavily, Cranberry?

It's the second-biggest city, and seemed to me as, well, quite Austrian when I was there Tongue
Generally though, I assumed the big cities were going to vote more for SSM as the rural countryside.

This is bad news for sure, but at least I was right with my early prediction, so that's that Tongue

Seriously though, this is really crap. The most depressing thing about it is that it already was law, that people there already had equal rights, and now it's taken from them by some intolerant bigots. It is worse than just a normal referendum against SSM in that it is actually a step backwards.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies