Should Christian denominations refuse to accept converts from Judaism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:03:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Should Christian denominations refuse to accept converts from Judaism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Christian denominations refuse to accept converts from Judaism?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Should Christian denominations refuse to accept converts from Judaism?  (Read 2496 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »

Of course not, and I don't think anyone who has argued that proselytization to Jews is any worse than any other type of proselytization has considered that this is the only logical conclusion, which creates all sorts of issues and that fundamentally it's an anti-Semitic policy ("We have a social grouping here, and membership is open to all people who are interested in joining...except for Jews.")
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:19:03 PM »

No, and practically nobody but you thinks that this is the 'only logical conclusion' to saying that it's in poor taste for them to actively proselytize.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:41:02 PM »

No, what would even prompt such a question? Surely our friends on the Sola Scriptura side of things didn't find that in the Acts of the Apostles.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »

No, what would even prompt such a question? Surely our friends on the Sola Scriptura side of things didn't find that in the Acts of the Apostles.

BRTD is taking some Jewish posters' statements to the effect that proselytizing Jewish people is in poor taste to a ridiculous extreme. Sasuga BRTD.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:16:01 AM »

I sure don't. (I'm marrying a girl who has Jewish family roots but many of them believe Jesus is Messiah)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 12:48:38 PM by DavidB. »

No, and practically nobody but you thinks that this is the 'only logical conclusion' to saying that it's in poor taste for them to actively proselytize.
Nailed it. I couldn't have said it better.

This poll probably relates to my comments in the thread on proselytization, but I never argued that Christians should refuse these people; however, they shouldn't actively engage in proselytization efforts among Christians.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »

The Jewish converts were the first Christians.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:11:37 PM »

Nailed it. I couldn't have said it better.

This poll probably relates to my comments in the thread on proselytization, but I never argued that Christians should refuse these people; however, they shouldn't actively engage in proselytization efforts among Christians.

The first folks that the early Christians prosletyzed were fellow Jews, so I don't see why we shouldn't continue this practice today.  The Gospel applies to the whole world.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »

Accidentally voted yes but meant no considering how Christianity started.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 05:39:32 PM by DavidB. »

The first folks that the early Christians prosletyzed were fellow Jews, so I don't see why we shouldn't continue this practice today.  The Gospel applies to the whole world.
Roll Eyes

Are you really going on with this, dude? Question: do you simply lack any knowledge of the history of Judaism in Europe, which is characterized by a quasi-continuous pattern of Christian oppression in which Jews had it "good" when they were treated as second-class people (only because they were necessary for the rulers/for trade) and bad when they were simply killed or deported? Many Jews remember this vividly, some of them have lived it. Some of my family who are still alive have lived it.

If you do have knowledge of this history, then you just don't care about this history and seek to perpetuate this pattern of injustice, which is quite mindboggling and immoral. In that case I can proudly say that my people is currently in a process of becoming stronger than ever before, and numerous organizations are active in bringing Jews back to Judaism, as opposed to leading them astray.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »

The first folks that the early Christians prosletyzed were fellow Jews, so I don't see why we shouldn't continue this practice today.  The Gospel applies to the whole world.
Roll Eyes

Are you really going on with this, dude? Question: do you simply lack any knowledge of the history of Judaism in Europe, which is characterized by a quasi-continuous pattern of Christian oppression in which Jews had it "good" when they were treated as second-class people (only because they were necessary for the rulers/for trade) and bad when they were simply killed or deported? Many Jews remember this vividly, some of them have lived it. Some of my family who are still alive have lived it.

If you do have knowledge of this history, then you just don't care about this history and seek to perpetuate this pattern of injustice, which is quite mindboggling and immoral. In that case I can proudly say that my people is currently in a process of becoming stronger than ever before, and numerous organizations are active in bringing Jews back to Judaism, as opposed to leading them astray.

I know about the treatment many so-called Christians in Europe  dealt to the Jews, but that doesn't negate my main point:  a basic fundamental point of Christianity is that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven:   "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).  I completely agree that those Europeans who oppressed the Jews were absolutely in the wrong, but I believe that proselytizing to Jews is just as much of a Biblical imperative as proselytizing to any other group.   I don't see how my belief that Christians should lovingly present the Gospel to the Jewish people means that I am somehow defending past injustices against Jews.  We're talking about two completely different things, and your implication that I am being "immoral" or somehow supporting past injustices by believing in the Great Commission is just baloney. 

Look, the difference comes down to our worldview.  I believe the Bible, in the Old and New Testaments, is the word of God.  As such, I believe in the duty of the Great Commission as described in the New Testament, and I also believe that those who knowingly reject the Gospel of Jesus Christ will not inherit eternal life.  So yes, I don't consider proselytizing to Jews to be evil, and I hope you accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. 
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »

Obviously not, but they really should stop trying to change Indian culture and Nepalese culture and stop mass proselytize everyone, wherever in the world.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »

Acknowledging the Holocaust and past antisemitism has nothing to do with trying to get Jews to voluntarily convert of their own free will.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »

Obviously not, but they really should stop trying to change Indian culture and Nepalese culture and stop mass proselytize everyone, wherever in the world.
Why?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »

Because it's kinda neocolonialist and disrespectful.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »

If you are of the belief that people need saving, it's downright immoral not to "save" them though.

Although I do think the world's cultural heritage is weakened by the loss of interesting local and ancient religions in favour of Salafi Islam and boilerplate evangelical Christianity, the McDonalds of religions.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »

Although I do think the world's cultural heritage is weakened by the loss of interesting local and ancient religions in favour of Salafi Islam and boilerplate evangelical Christianity, the McDonalds of religions.
Agree, though it has probably been inevitable due to globalization Sad
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »

If you are of the belief that people need saving, it's downright immoral not to "save" them though.

Evangelical Christianity is hardly uniform in any way, you're thinking of the megachurch type stuff obviously, but a lot is more equivalent to a recently opened but still independent and unique restaurant.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »

More like the sort of coffee shops that are designed to look like Independents but which are actually owned by Costa, Starbucks or whoever.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »

Evangelical Christianity is hardly uniform in any way, you're thinking of the megachurch type stuff obviously, but a lot is more equivalent to a recently opened but still independent and unique restaurant.

No she's directly referring to your form under that umbrella too. Surely not the worst offender, but CrabCake expresses my views on the matter flawlessly. Thank you fellow authoritarian.
zs4321
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »

So we should let them burn in Hell, so we don't hurt there feelings? makes sense...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

Saying that "the logical conclusion" of proselytization towards Jews being discouraged is refusal of Jews into the group is ridiculous, and there's a very easy counterexample: Judaism does not proselytize -- at all -- but it still embraces sincere converts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »

Saying that "the logical conclusion" of proselytization towards Jews being discouraged is refusal of Jews into the group is ridiculous, and there's a very easy counterexample: Judaism does not proselytize -- at all -- but it still embraces sincere converts.

That's...actually a pretty good point.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »

So we should let them burn in Hell, so we don't hurt there feelings? makes sense...
The fact that you think everyone who doesn't believe the same as you will go to hell doesn't make it true, it only makes you a bigot.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »

Whether someone is Jewish should be irrelevant to proselytization/missionary activity. The idea of specifically excluding Jews, even if it were desirable, would be unworkable. To consider why, picture a group handing out pamphlets about Jesus on the street corner (whether they are doing so respectfully or not is another matter). Just imagine them starting off by asking "Are you Jewish?" to whoever walks by and only giving them a pamphlet if they say no. This scenario would be incredibly silly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies