Julian Castro is on Clinton's,shortlist for VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:47:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Julian Castro is on Clinton's,shortlist for VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Julian Castro is on Clinton's,shortlist for VP  (Read 5748 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/259604-dems-debate-clinton-vp-pick

As expected, to go after NV& CO, Julian Castro, not Martin Heinrich, which will put 55 Senate GOPers with Martinez successor, in control of senate.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »

We get it
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »

Quoted from the article:

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), a Clinton backer, offered another set of criteria he hopes will guide the search. Pascrell said the Democrats should be eyeing a more moderate figure — perhaps even a Republican — who can build bridges in regions where support for the Democrats has eroded.

This would be an interesting scenario.  Go for it.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:47 AM »

Quoted from the article:

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), a Clinton backer, offered another set of criteria he hopes will guide the search. Pascrell said the Democrats should be eyeing a more moderate figure — perhaps even a Republican — who can build bridges in regions where support for the Democrats has eroded.

Clinton/Powell for the ultimate 90s throwback ticket.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »

I don't think there is a single Republican that would run with Clinton on her ticket.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:11:32 PM »

Lol. What a complete and utter joke.
Krago
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »

I don't think there is a single Republican that would run with Clinton on her ticket.

True, though if Cruz becomes the Republican nominee then John McCain will definitely be on stage in Philadelphia at the DNC to endorse Hillary.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »

Was there any doubt that Castro would be on her shortlist? He may not be chosen for VP, but it's the worst kept secret (and not even a secret) that he's been groomed as a potential running mate.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »

Quoted from the article:

Not happening.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

Quoted from the article:

This would be an interesting scenario.  Go for it.

Clinton/Powell for the ultimate 90s throwback ticket.

Yes, the 69 year old Clinton and the 79 year old Powell.

The dynamic duo to lead America into the future.  
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »

Quoted from the article:

Maybe Clinton/Huntsman?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:52 PM »

I like the idea of Xavier Beccera being the VP choice; he's Latino, and though he's 58 or so, he looks quite young, and has a lot more experience in elections than Castro. Plus he speaks Spanish, which I don't think Julian Castro does.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »

As expected, to go after NV& CO, Julian Castro, not Martin Heinrich, which will put 55 Senate GOPers with Martinez successor, in control of senate.

It is an age old political tactic for a prospective Presidential candidate to have made up a very diverse list of potential Vice Presidential candidates, minorities, black, Hispanic, women, young, to give the illusion the Presidential candidate is open to all possibilities, and to give the voters the best public impression of the Presidential candidate.

In reality, the Presidential candidate generally has their own idea of the type of Vice Presidential candidate they want.

Most of this leaking of potential Vice Presidential possibilities is mere window dressing.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »

I like the idea of Xavier Beccera being the VP choice; he's Latino, and though he's 58 or so, he looks quite young, and has a lot more experience in elections than Castro. Plus he speaks Spanish, which I don't think Julian Castro does.

Well, if Castro does not even speak Spanish, I fail to see any logic in his selection.

He really does not have the political heft required of a Vice Presidential candidate in this day and age, and if he does not speak Spanish, he would not be of any use at all to the ticket.

I would think that he does speak Spanish though.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »

If Castro doesn't speak Spanish then he should start learning now.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

Well, if Castro does not even speak Spanish, I fail to see any logic in his selection.

He really does not have the political heft required of a Vice Presidential candidate in this day and age, and if he does not speak Spanish, he would not be of any use at all to the ticket.

I would think that he does speak Spanish though.

A couple of articles, including this one, say that he doesn't very good Spanish, worse than Tim Kaine (who knows Spanish from spending a year in Honduras). He might be getting better at it though, since he knows he's a top pick for VP and that speaking Spanish would be a good selling point.

I'm still a bigger fan of Beccera because of his greater experience and fluent Spanish skills.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »

The California Attorney General and 2016 Senate candidate is rumored to be on Clinton's shortlist. This reminds me of 2008, when Mark Warner, the then former Va. governor was on Obama's shortlist while he was running for Senate to replace then-Sen. John Warner (R-Va.). Can you see a Clinton/Harris ticket, and would it be in play?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hillary-2016-vice-president-options-politico
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »

I agree Becerra strictly dominates Castro as a VP choice for Clinton.  He's also the child of undocumented immigrants which would make his life story even more interesting.  Other options:

Generic Obama Coalition Dems ("Safe" picks):

Kaine: Probably the strongest in this category- early Obama endorser + history of winning VA + speaks Spanish+ D Gov to appoint successor.  He also retained greater white working class support than Obama (albeit against a weaker opponent).  He's not particularly young and there's the whole vulnerable 2017 special election thing, though.

Heinrich: Young + widely considered handsome + from a diverse former swing state + environmental activist cred.  The major downside is Martinez would get to R+1 an otherwise Likely D seat.

Hickenlooper: Only Dem governor reelected in a swing state in 2014 + passed Walker-style aggressively partisan state agenda during 2013-14 trifecta and lived to tell about it + gun control cred.  He's implemented Obama's entire 2nd term agenda in a swing state, something basically no one else has yet accomplished and retained some moderate cred while doing it.  Of course, he's also a 63 year old white guy. 

Klobuchar: mainstream left woman + landslides in lean D MN + help with midwestern swing voters + D Gov to appoint successor Downsides: not charismatic + doesn't add anything novel to ticket 

Latinos

Becerra: Proven political success + presumably already heavily vetted by former opponents + aggressive progressive + powerful life story.  Downsides: from CA + would be very polarizing + not young

Castro: Young + unique (1st mayor as VP) + background.  Downsides: very untested politically (Palin risk) + has made substantial gaffes in the past + from TX

Populists

Warren: aggressive progressive + great at fundraising + help with base turnout + woman with compelling life story.  Downsides: the whole fake Indian controversy + potentially too far left for many swing voters + from MA + R+1 in senate from normally safe D state (but veto-proof legislature could prevent this

Bullock: held conservative-trending ancestrally D state + worked with R legislature to get Medicaid expansion + considerable white working class appeal.  Downsides: The whole John Walsh thing + likely R pickup of governorship + untested outside of small, idiosyncratic electorate (some Palin risk)

Warner: repeatedly successful in VA + D Gov to appoint successor + moderate populist persona  Downsides: nearly lost in 2014 after coasting + white working class appeal may have evaporated + seat not up until 2020 if he stays in Senate + pretty much strictly dominated by Kaine now

Manchin: has uniquely strong white working class appeal + held ancestrally D right trending state during 2010/12 + tried for gun control in very inhospitable place + can retire in December to assure D appointee  Downsides: likely too conservative for national D's + very independent streak from national party (if senate was 50/50, he would probably break some ties for Republicans) + turnout risk from environmental groups

Then there's the remote possibility of a coup de grace like getting Sandoval or Martinez to switch parties after Trump clinches the nomination, but beyond that scenario, there's nothing to gain IMO from choosing a Republican/former Republican.

I want to see Kaine, Warner, Manchin, Becerra on the ticket. Becerra would be the ultimate pit bull attack dog. Rubio or Haley would be destroyed in a debate with Becerra. Thune can debate Becerra with style.
Zache

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »

I really don't see that happening. And I doubt there has been any serious consideration for that ticket.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »

Becerra, probably will like to stay in House and be Speaker designate, in 2022. By, then Pelosi & Hoyer will be out of leadership.

Castro is really smart pick, she is strong in Va or OH anyways, and got Strickland running for Senate, who is more of a progressive anyways. And she made it clear she doesnt support Fast track, Kaine supported. Castro is unifying force.

I think the decision is all but made, Castro will be chosen.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 03:15:17 PM by OC »

Probably will be presidential material, at some point down the road, if Joseph P Kennedy III isnt a star by 2024, who will likely run if he is elected to senate in 2018.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »

I wonder if Clinton would win West Virginia with Manchin on the ticket. I think she would but picking Manchin would alienate some Democratic voters (not that they would vote Republican) and would confirm what a lot of Bernie supporters are saying.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »

I wonder if Clinton would win West Virginia with Manchin on the ticket. I think she would but picking Manchin would alienate some Democratic voters (not that they would vote Republican) and would confirm what a lot of Bernie supporters are saying.

Stahp.

k.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »

As long as Rubio isnt on the ticket as the nominee, Clinton will seal the deal with Latin voters either against Carson or Trump. Carson who said he supports Puerto Rico statehood, wont really be an issue. Since the R House wont move on DC statehood, when it passed the Senate. Since DC or Puerto Rico will give Dems more electors. It was blocked in conference.

Puerto Rico, will remain a commonwealth.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2020, 01:07:25 AM by bagelman »

Here's a bizarre scenario where that would actually be critical. Of course it's critical because Oregon liberals stay home.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies