Julian Castro is on Clinton's,shortlist for VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:53:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Julian Castro is on Clinton's,shortlist for VP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Julian Castro is on Clinton's,shortlist for VP  (Read 5728 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 10:51:57 PM »

I don't get why Castro is talked about so much. He's a young Hispanic guy who was a "pretty good" mayor (as in that San Antonio implemented some good programs under him, though mayor of San Antonio is a position more equivalent to Speaker of the House than Governor or President) and now serves as some unknown cabinet member. I suppose he's similar to pre-Senate Cory Booker just a different minority and in a state where he CAN'T be elected to statewide office so they have to hype him up somehow on the national level.

But seriously what does he bring to the ticket? If Hillary has to pander for Hispanic votes, there's a HUGE problem, especially if her opponent is Trump. Even against Rubio Hillary would have no problem with the Hispanic vote unless she manages to f[inks] things up worse than Jeb has so far. The only real advantages I can see to Castro is if he's known to be a good debater (is he?) or if he's already been confirmed to have a very clean background and no skeletons that'll instantly surface.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »

Castro is not fluent in Spanish at all. What would he add to ticket beside being brown and young? A lot of  Latinos watch Univison/Telemundo its important to be able to go on those networks and communicate your message. Xavier Becerra hands down is the better choice, there's no question about it. The real question is how Julian Castro is even in consideration?

Because the party has been grooming him for the ticket since at least 2012. Castro is young, he's photogenic, he's a good enough orator, and he's part of the fastest-growing slice of the American electorate (and, hopefully, a future bedrock of the Democratic party). It's pretty obvious why he would be in consideration.

Castro could serve as a potential counter to Rubio (as I think he'll win the nomination) or would be a "heat check" pick if the Republicans screw this up and Cruz somehow wins. He's obviously stuck in a cabinet position, so if the Clinton campaign is confident in a win in the general, why wouldn't the party want to elevate him to a position that could lead to a future presidential run? A Clinton ticket won't be lacking in experience regardless of who the Veep is.

It wouldn't be a "good" pick, but with a candidate who would be 69 at the time she would take the oath, you have to think about the bench, too.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 12:43:09 AM »

By the way it doesn't matter at all if Castro can speak Spanish. Hispanics who are Spanish monoglots are 1-not voting in wide numbers and 2-The few that are are solid Demm
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 01:57:24 AM »

By the way it doesn't matter at all if Castro can speak Spanish. Hispanics who are Spanish monoglots are 1-not voting in wide numbers and 2-The few that are are solid Demm

But I thought the whole point was to mobilize these voters?  lol
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »

I wonder if Clinton would win West Virginia with Manchin on the ticket. I think she would but picking Manchin would alienate some Democratic voters (not that they would vote Republican) and would confirm what a lot of Bernie supporters are saying.

I doubt it.  Hillary is making climate change a big part of her platform.  The GOP narrative would be that Manchin "sold out" West Virginia by being on an anti-coal ticket.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

Castro is not fluent in Spanish at all. What would he add to ticket beside being brown and young? A lot of  Latinos watch Univison/Telemundo its important to be able to go on those networks and communicate your message. Xavier Becerra hands down is the better choice, there's no question about it. The real question is how Julian Castro is even in consideration?

Because the party has been grooming him for the ticket since at least 2012. Castro is young, he's photogenic, he's a good enough orator, and he's part of the fastest-growing slice of the American electorate (and, hopefully, a future bedrock of the Democratic party). It's pretty obvious why he would be in consideration.

Castro could serve as a potential counter to Rubio (as I think he'll win the nomination) or would be a "heat check" pick if the Republicans screw this up and Cruz somehow wins. He's obviously stuck in a cabinet position, so if the Clinton campaign is confident in a win in the general, why wouldn't the party want to elevate him to a position that could lead to a future presidential run? A Clinton ticket won't be lacking in experience regardless of who the Veep is.

It wouldn't be a "good" pick, but with a candidate who would be 69 at the time she would take the oath, you have to think about the bench, too.

Rubio can speak Spanish, Castro cannot that's not much of a counter. Xavier Becerra is the best counter to Rubio, his parents were undocumented migrants, he came from a very poor background, and can speak perfect Spanish. Not to mention Becerra has been in Congress since 1993, plenty of experience.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »

Clinton-Castro legimitately scares me. Julian Castro is more inexperienced than Sarah Palin...

WTF?!

Geographic Region     Population
Alaska                          736,732
San Antonio               1.409 million

Castro was mayor of San Antonio for half a decade and he is currently a cabinet secretary.  Sarah Palin didn't even finish one term as governor.

Isn't San Antonio one of the "weak mayor, strong city council or manager" cities? Because if he had little power as mayor, that undercuts the argument of him having extensive experience.

It is.  He's basically a figurehead/spokesperson for the city who casts a vote among many on the council.  It's probably more or less equivalent to being in your party's leadership in the state legislature in terms of experience.

I do think Democrats need to get more comfortable with running mayors for congress and statewide offices in general, but for VP I'd want them to be the mayor of a much larger city.  The problem is that only a few mayors will have experience running against serious R's.  A place like Houston/San Diego/Charlotte that's routinely R-contestable would be a good place to look for a high quality statewide candidate, but again, VP out of city hall is pushing it. 
To be fair, Castro isn't just a mayor. He does have a cabinet post, and is head of the HUD department.
bobloblaw
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »

Totally unqualified and will be a debate and campaign embarrassment
bobloblaw
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »

Quoted from the article:

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), a Clinton backer, offered another set of criteria he hopes will guide the search. Pascrell said the Democrats should be eyeing a more moderate figure — perhaps even a Republican — who can build bridges in regions where support for the Democrats has eroded.

This would be an interesting scenario.  Go for it.

and which moderate GOPer would accomplish this?
bobloblaw
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »

Castro shows that the only qualified hispanics for the Presidential tickets are GOP, not Dem
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 08:11:42 PM »

Quoted from the article:

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), a Clinton backer, offered another set of criteria he hopes will guide the search. Pascrell said the Democrats should be eyeing a more moderate figure — perhaps even a Republican — who can build bridges in regions where support for the Democrats has eroded.

This would be an interesting scenario.  Go for it.

and which moderate GOPer would accomplish this?

Former Secretary of Defense William Cohen
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 08:22:51 PM »

Rubio can speak Spanish, Castro cannot that's not much of a counter. Xavier Becerra is the best counter to Rubio, his parents were undocumented migrants, he came from a very poor background, and can speak perfect Spanish. Not to mention Becerra has been in Congress since 1993, plenty of experience.

That may be, but isn't he more interested in becoming Nancy Pelosi's successor as leader of the House Democratic caucus? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »

Clinton-Castro legimitately scares me. Julian Castro is more inexperienced than Sarah Palin...

WTF?!

Geographic Region     Population
Alaska                          736,732
San Antonio               1.409 million

Castro was mayor of San Antonio for half a decade and he is currently a cabinet secretary.  Sarah Palin didn't even finish one term as governor.

As long as we're having a discussion about possible Hispanic running-mates, Hilda Solis is far more qualified than either of them.  
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »

Castro shows that the only qualified hispanics for the Presidential tickets are GOP, not Dem

You've laid the bait, now will anyone fall for the trap?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »

As a Latino, I'd definitely advise Hillary to avoid picking a token Latino VP nominee; that's stupid, she doesn't need to do that to energize/mobilize the Latino vote and it's doubtful that it would make a difference. It could alienate some swing voters though.

If the Clinton campaign wants a qualified Hispanic VP nominee, she should choose Hilda Solis. She has a very impressive/inspiring backstory and has been a dedicated public servant for decades; she's a career politician but a very atypical career politician who comes across as an activist/advocate rather than as a hack. It's worth noting that Hilda Solis has very strong ties with immigration rights organizations, environmental activist groups and labor.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »

You've laid the bait, now will anyone fall for the trap?

I strongly disagree with this statement. It was Trump who fell into the Clinton trap when he talked about mass deportation.  Rubio isnt going to be nominee, only VP. And none of the GOP up there will look good running with Trump

Castro will be VP.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »

Who cares? Mexican-Americans are not going to gravitate towards a turncoat Cuban Republican over one of their own because Rubio speaks Spanish, that's ridiculous. "wow this Cuban politician can speak Spanish, therefore, I relate to him more than I relate to the Mexican politician who reminds me of my own nephew and shares my views on all of the important political issues!" Rubio would probably be well-positioned to improve on Romney's performance but the idea that Latinos would flock to his campaign is inane, he stabbed immigrants in the back because it was politically expedient and he's a Republican. He'd probably do remarkably well in the Miami metro area but I'm skeptical about his ability to pull many voters away from Clinton who come from communities with a big presence of undocumented immigrants.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2015, 08:54:56 PM »

WTF?!

Geographic Region     Population
Alaska                          736,732
San Antonio               1.409 million

Castro was mayor of San Antonio for half a decade and he is currently a cabinet secretary.  Sarah Palin didn't even finish one term as governor.

Isn't San Antonio one of the "weak mayor, strong city council or manager" cities? Because if he had little power as mayor, that undercuts the argument of him having extensive experience.

Yes, yes it is. Julian Castro is less experienced than Susan Rice, Gavin Newsom, Hilda Solis, Dan Boren, Joaquin Castro, Antonio Villagoroiso, Eric Garcetti, and any other young, inexperienced, and mainstream possible running-mates.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »

Whoever Clinton picks, it is the GOP who are divided over immigration reform. It is a real chance, Trump, not Rubio will be nominee. Giving Clinton the green light to chose even Julian Castro as her running mate. Given, that Trump has a mass dePortation plan that wont work.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2015, 10:15:35 PM »

Whoever Clinton picks, it is the GOP who are divided over immigration reform. It is a real chance, Trump, not Rubio will be nominee. Giving Clinton the green light to chose even Julian Castro as her running mate. Given, that Trump has a mass dePortation plan that wont work.
Rubio-Christie is a lot more appealing to independents than Clinton-Castro.

"Rubio-Christie 2016: The American Future"

"Clinton-Castro 2016: Obama Again"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2015, 01:02:44 PM by OC »

Rubio-Christie is a lot more appealing to independents than Clinton-Castro.

"Rubio-Christie 2016: The American Future"

"Clinton-Castro 2016: Obama Again"

Not if Trump wins and Rubio isnt in lead in polls. If it is Trump, Castro will be selected. She must refute mass deportation.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2015, 10:23:59 AM »

If you google search 'Hillary's VP' Castro's Wikipedia page comes up.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/259604-dems-debate-clinton-vp-pick

As expected, to go after NV& CO, Julian Castro, not Martin Heinrich, which will put 55 Senate GOPers with Martinez successor, in control of senate.
Huh?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/259604-dems-debate-clinton-vp-pick

As expected, to go after NV& CO, Julian Castro, not Martin Heinrich, which will put 55 Senate GOPers with Martinez successor, in control of senate.
Huh?

CASTRO is one of many VP candidates mention. But, if Trump is nominated, she will have more liberty to chose Castro, due to his mass deportation plan.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »

Who told you this matters? Stop listening to that person.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies