Italians and Jews in NY/NJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Italians and Jews in NY/NJ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Italians and Jews in NY/NJ  (Read 3509 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »

They're pretty evenly split, probably a bit more Democrat than Republican outside the New York metro, but maybe 60/40 R in the New York metro.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 12:25:10 AM »

Looking back to 1960, it appears that Italian and Irish Catholics were more right-wing than their counterparts elsewhere, particularly New England.  According to Kevin Phillips (The Emerging Repulican Majority) perhaps 40% of the Catholic vote in the 1960s in NYC was Republican.

Certainly by 1980, New York Jews moved from being from the left of American Jews generally to the right of them.  In the 50s, Eisenhower did significantly worse in Jewish areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx than the 35-40% he got with Jews generally.  But by the 1960s, the outer borough Jewish population that remained (largely Orthodox and working class/lower middle class) was turning rightward.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

I thought Italian-Americans were pretty solidly Democrat.  Did something change?

They were, but then they had children, and those children collectively "broke through" for the large part.

I thought Italian-Americans were pretty solidly Democrat.  Did something change?

I don't think that's ever been the case.

In the 20s and 30s they were overwhelmingly D until LaGuardia came along (and that honestly wasn't the end of it). They were certainly voting majority Democratic federally well into the 60s.
I think Humphrey overwhelmingly won the Italian-American vote in 1968.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 07:33:20 PM »

Is Assembly District presidential voting data available?  I recall it being shared here some years ago.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »

To answer my own question, here's Assembly District data for 2012 in NYC:

http://vote.nyc.ny.us/html/results/2012.shtml

Romney got 65% in Staten Island's Assembly District 62 - presumably this is the mostly Italian South Shore - as well as 54% in Assembly District 64.

In Brooklyn, Romney got 75% in AD 48 and 59% in AD 45 which are (I'm pretty sure) Hasidic and Russian Jewish respectively.

Obama won every Assembly District in Queens but not sure if he carried the Jewish vote in Forest Hills/Rego Park (are there still a lot of affluent liberals there anymore?)

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies