What would it take for the South to vote Dem again - NOW
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:30:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would it take for the South to vote Dem again - NOW
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What would it take for the South to vote Dem again - NOW  (Read 5508 times)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

I only consider the states that seceded to be Southern.  Missouri, Kentucky, and Oklahoma have some Southern characteristics, but I would not classify them as Southern.  As a Northern Kentuckian I can assure you that there is a line that divides Kentucky between the Southern and Midwestern parts.  The majority of Kentuckians do not live in the Southern part.

I know people from both Lexington and Louisville who are very Southern.

Sure, there are some, but they aren't the majority of people North of Bowling Green.  Most people in SC wouldn't consider Louisville Southern.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »

Well, I'll give my best shot at "Southern vs. Non-Southern," based on my experiences:

>90%, >80% Green - Deep South (MS & AL are slightly darker than AR, LA, GA & SC)
>70% Green: Southern beyond debate, but not Deep South
>60% Green: I definitely consider them Southern, but some people don't, and they have pockets of non-Southern areas
>50% Green: Historical ties to the Confederacy, but only parts are still culturally Southern
>40% Green: I do not consider these to be Southern states (KS, IL & IN are without a doubt NOT Southern), but they clearly have parts that are culturally Southern (rural MD & DE, southernmost IL & IN, southeast KS)

In other words:

>90% Green: AL, MS ... >80% Green: AR, LA, GA, SC
>70% Green: TX, TN, NC
>60% Green: OK, KY, WV
>50% Green: FL, VA
>40% Green: MO
>30% Green: KS, IL, IN, MD, DE
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 10:35:45 PM »

I'd say that IL, IN, OH, PA, and CA all have or have had at one point substantial Southern cultural regions too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »

The Dems dont need the South & the South is solid. This can be the first election, in which the Rockies, NV, CO, NM will piut Dems in WH, including Rust belt, without OH.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 11:29:22 PM »

The best states for Democrats: Maryland, Delaware, New Mexico, Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Missouri. With eighteen states existing, a majority of the South is ten. That's 8, with three being needed. I rate LA and TX as the nest most likely. TE & AR would probably flip in Harold Ford Jr./Jason Carter v. Thom Tillis/Mick Mulvoney with Obama at 47/49 approval/disapproval ratings.

To accomplish this, high Minority turnout is necessary.

I think the Souh votes Democratic if Cruz becomes President, and Ted Nugent wins the GOP nomination for Senate. Joaquin Castro narrowly defeats him as George P. Bush primaries Abbott an narrowly beats the Democratic ticket of Marc Veasy/Cecile Richards in the general. Joaquin Castro wins the Democratic nomination for President in 2020, with Governor of Georgia Kasim Reed remaining in until April 15, and Newsom managing to keep going until May 3. Castro/Reed allows Governor of Louisiana John Bel Edwards to give the keynote rallying Blue Dogs in the New Orleans convention site. On the Republican side, Cruz retires to "be ready in the future when America needs to return to true conservatism again."

355: Sen. Joaquin Castro(D-TX)/Gov. Kasim Reed(dD-GA) 53.6%
183: Vice Pres. Rand Paul(R-KY)/Rep. Justin Amash(R-MI) - 45.3%
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »

There is literally nothing they could do. My area had a democrat as a rep until the 90s, hasn't voted for one since, and hasn't vote for a democrat not the presidential level since 1960, Thats right we didn't vote for Jimmy Carter much less any democrat no a days...there is no hope for southern democrats unless they face gosh awful candidates like vitter and are democrats more conservative than some republicans (IM LOOKING AT YOU SENATOR MARK KIRK) but back to the topic at hand, whites are growing MORE republican not less. There isn't hope for democrats in the south, but there is hope for republicans in the midwest...
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:02 AM »

States like NC and GA aren't red anymore; purplish red. FL has always been center-right since 1976, but typically votes for the winner.  In a nail biter it would go red regardless. VA is now the most purple state according to the last two elections regarding distance from center. It's the deep south that can't be turned. Social conservatives are now Republicans similar to New England moderates now being Democrats. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »

There is more hope for the Democrats in the deep South minus Alabama than in the outer South at this point. That is largely because of the growth in minorities in places like Georgia, whereas states like TN, AR, KY and WV have only one direction for the Dems to go and that is down.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies