What do you think of this video?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:50:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What do you think of this video?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What do you think of this video?  (Read 2691 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 05:18:19 PM »

It's been more than 30 years since my college days, so I have no experience with the current college life. Many of our forum members are college students though, so what do you say?

As I said above, I'm currently in university as we speak in a country that is, on the whole, substantially more liberal than the United States is, and, it's, from everything that I've seen so far, exactly what a university should be: a place to go and learn things.  I don't know of any communists on campus; while this doesn't mean that they don't exist - they probably do - it does mean that they're not exactly all that prominent.  I know of no classes whatsoever where a teacher out of nowhere started bashing Bush or something along those lines.  There's a Young Liberals club, a Young NDP club, and, yes, also a Young Conservatives club at my school, and I can't say that any one of them is held in higher regard than any of the others by those not in any of the clubs.  Certainly there are no blatant attacks on the Young Conservatives club.

Personally, I think that universities are liberal simply because that's the type of people that academic institutions (or at least the liberal arts departments thereof) generally attract, not because there's some vast academic conspiracy where students are brainwashed into communism through systematic oppression from students and administrators.  I recently had a class with the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, and he was a very moderate, reasonable guy, not some left-wing loony who spends 45 minutes of each class ranting about Bush.  I think that any accusations that universities somehow make people liberal are confusing cause and effect.
Gabu you are attending college in Canada. Its just my impression but I think Canadians tend to be somewhat less psychotic than Americans. They seem to be more business-like and not as prone to irrational emotionalism, except maybe at hockey games. So maybe you don't have the same situation there as here.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies