It's all over. It's November, and Hillary leads 59-32.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  It's all over. It's November, and Hillary leads 59-32.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It's all over. It's November, and Hillary leads 59-32.  (Read 5948 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »

Bernie Sanders is not Barack Obama. 2016 is not 2008. She is going to the White House for two terms. Feel free to dig this post up in November 2020.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »

Glad you're finally coming to your senses jfern. I just hope HILLDOG is as forgiving as I am.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »

Come on man, you know this is a silly comparison.  First, by this time in 2007, Obama was already out-raising Hillary, which Bernie Sanders has not done.  Furthermore, you conveniently leave out John Edwards's candidacy by only including that one-on-one matchup, which shows that Hillary's total base of support was smaller in 2007 than it is now.  Hillary gets similar levels of support now when faced with an array of opponents rather than just one as is put here.
kansasdemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »

The Sanderistas really are unhinged. Go back to your medicine cabinets!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 11:03:22 PM »

Come on man, you know this is a silly comparison.  First, by this time in 2007, Obama was already out-raising Hillary, which Bernie Sanders has not done.  Furthermore, you conveniently leave out John Edwards's candidacy by only including that one-on-one matchup, which shows that Hillary's total base of support was smaller in 2007 than it is now.  Hillary gets similar levels of support now when faced with an array of opponents rather than just one as is put here.

Not to mention, Obama could appeal to a far larger portion of the Democratic base than Bernie Sanders' narrow sliver.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »

I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 11:09:40 PM »

I think you're right. It looks like Hillary has the nomination locked down. I take solace, however, in the fact that she is unelectable.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »

I think you're right. It looks like Hillary has the nomination locked down. I take solace, however, in the fact that she is unelectable.

I am saving this quote for next November.....  
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »

I am saving this quote for next November.....  
Thank you.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 11:24:08 PM »

Versus a traditional nominee, yes. Versus the nominee of the Republican Party in 2016... I think she has a pretty good shot, unless her health or the economy take a nosedive.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »

Differences between Obama and Sanders:

-Obama actually had significant establishment support.  Sure, Clinton had more endorsements, but Obama (and Edwards) still had a solid base of support, and weren't getting blown out in the hilarious way Sanders and O'Malley are.

-Obama had a unique ability to appeal to African Americans.  At first, AA's supported Clinton, but once Obama proved himself the historic nature of his candidacy became very powerful.  There's no chance of Sanders matching Obama's appeal with African Americans.

-Obama was (and still is) a much more eloquent speaker than Sanders.  Sure, Sanders' message is powerful to many people, but the delivery is only average, and honestly fairly repetitive.  In general, Obama is much more charismatic than Sanders, also younger and 'cooler'.

-Finally, its a myth that Clinton was seen as inevitable in 2008.  She was never thought of as the defacto nominee by a significant number people.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2015, 12:42:34 AM by I support Sanders »

Versus a traditional nominee, yes. Versus the nominee of the Republican Party in 2016... I think she has a pretty good shot, unless her health or the economy take a nosedive.
You're underestimating the ability of virtually every Republican candidate currently running to excite their base.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 11:46:12 PM »

It ain't over 'til it's over. One way or another. Granted, it's far more likely that Hillary will pound Sanders so hard that they'll make what's left of him into a beach along the shores of Lake Champlain.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 11:47:53 PM »

Differences between Obama and Sanders:

-Obama actually had significant establishment support.  Sure, Clinton had more endorsements, but Obama (and Edwards) still had a solid base of support, and weren't getting blown out in the hilarious way Sanders and O'Malley are.

-Obama had a unique ability to appeal to African Americans.  At first, AA's supported Clinton, but once Obama proved himself the historic nature of his candidacy became very powerful.  There's no chance of Sanders matching Obama's appeal with African Americans.

-Obama was (and still is) a much more eloquent speaker than Sanders.  Sure, Sanders' message is powerful to many people, but the delivery is only average, and honestly fairly repetitive.  In general, Obama is much more charismatic than Sanders, also younger and 'cooler'.

-Finally, its a myth that Clinton was seen as inevitable in 2008.  She was never thought of as the defacto nominee by a significant number people.

I was going to post a response, but this basically sums it up.

If Sanders had support among minorities and some establishment backing, he could be a legitimate threat to Clinton.  But if I had a million dollars I'd be a millionaire.

Sandernistas continue to be comically delusional.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 11:55:11 PM »

Sanders cannot win. He does not have the grassroot support that Obama had, and his supporters are mostly white liberals. It's impossible to win the Democratic primaries without both moderates and non-whites.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 11:59:42 PM »

Note the downward Clinton trajectory... she's back where she was before the Sanders surge in late Summer.

This is NOT 2008 redux, Sanders is not Obama.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 12:07:55 AM »

Not to mention, Obama could appeal to a far larger portion of the Democratic base than Bernie Sanders' narrow sliver.

This.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »

Yes, and please remember that the FBI might have something important to say on the subject...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2015, 07:52:46 AM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

Yes, and please remember that the FBI might have something important to say on the subject...

...and if they don't?

'unelectable'? Please from the person who voted for Romney over Obama. Hillary is plenty electable, it's just the Atlas fanatics who refuse to accept reality.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »

Hillary is the clear favorite, but yeah too many people act as if there is a single national primary or something.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »

Hillary is the clear favorite, but yeah too many people act as if there is a single national primary or something.

Which makes the comparison to '08 more disillusion. Even if the distance between Clinton and Sanders is the same as between Clinton and Obama at the same time in '08, Clinton is clearly in a stronger position in Iowa this time than she was in '08. If Sanders can't score some early victories the same way Obama did his momentum will pretty quickly fizzle.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 07:51:50 AM »

We must also mention that at this point of the cycle Obama has posted his first leads in Iowa and South carolina, whereas Sanders is currently competitive only in New Hampshire.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:31 AM »

I guess we have a Bernie IceSpear.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »

Which makes the comparison to '08 more disillusion. Even if the distance between Clinton and Sanders is the same as between Clinton and Obama at the same time in '08, Clinton is clearly in a stronger position in Iowa this time than she was in '08. If Sanders can't score some early victories the same way Obama did his momentum will pretty quickly fizzle.

When DMR had Sanders within 7 in Iowa and his polling average was ahead of her in NH, I thought he had a small but not insignificant chance. The effect of Sanders defeating her in IA and NH both is unpredictable. His support level from minorities could change since it's mostly driven by them not knowing who he is. There's not the same kind of room for growth that Obama had with black voters- and Hillary handily beat Obama with Latinos- but they don't dislike him or anything.That said, I'm more bearish now that she has widened her lead in Iowa. The House Republican Benghazi Committee set out to destroy Hillary's campaign and ended up destroying Sanders.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies