Missouri/Yale protests
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:10:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Missouri/Yale protests
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Missouri/Yale protests  (Read 5845 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:13:41 AM »
« edited: November 13, 2015, 08:57:42 AM by Famous Mortimer »

I'm surprised there's no discussion of this already. Are people just burnt out from discussion Black Lives Matter? Even though posters will probably fall along the same lines they always do, I still think this topic calls for discussion. It's a huge news story and who knows? Maybe some posters will surprise us with home they come down.

I won't though. I think the protests are either massively overplayed or totally unwarranted. With regards to Missouri, apparently the whole thing started because someone used poop to draw a swastika on a Black dorm. That's obviously really bad. I don't see why the president had to resign over that though. It's not like he said it was good. Nobody wanted Obama to resign because Charleston happened when he was in office. Later, you had a guy making anonymous threats on social media. Also obviously bad but the guy was found and arrested for them. That there is literal proof that racism, at least in this case, isn't systematic. The system literally put a person in jail for being violently racist (as they should).

Yale seems even weirder, because it seems like there's even less reason for them to be upset. The incidents there started when someone wrote an e-mail telling people not to wear offensive Halloween costumes (I'm sure it was pretty groan worthy although I would have just deleted it) and then someone wrote a response telling people to stop being babies (also I think pretty groan worthy but again nothing to get upset over). Then the whole campus started going crazy over a claimed culture of racism on campus. There were claims that a sorority party had turned away Black girls. Then it turned out the sorority (of course) had Black members and Black people were actually at the party. The activists then turned around and said it didn't matter if the party story was real or not, it was symbolic of institutional racism. As far as I can tell though, it was the only example they had of institutional racism. They've apparently been holding giant meetings where students go on for hours and hours about all the examples of discrimination they have faced. Predictably though, none of these examples were offered to the media or consisted of micro aggressions like being asked if they needed help finding anything. They expect that people should just automatically accept any claim of racism, because that's what they're taught to do in their social science classes.

Now I'm seeing a movement on Facebook for Blacks to boycott "PWIs" (that's Predominantly White Institutions ie normal colleges) in favor of Historic Black Colleges. So now we see the intersectionalist movement reaching the end goal it was already headed to, calling for voluntary re-segregation.

On the other hand, apparently the main goal of a boycott would be to punish PWIs (again, for what?) by denying them Black students for their football teams. If such a movement does gain traction and ends up causing the collapse of the college football system, well then at least one good thing will have come about as a result of all this.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »

Yeah at Purdue University President Daniels sent out an email saying that Purdue believes in free speech and now there is a student protest planned for later today. It doesn't make any sense to me but it's probably just because of my white privlege.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »

All I know is that pc is really out of control; it's getting to where honest hardworking Americans can't even deface property with nazi imagery or send out racist death threats anymore without a bunch of sensitive SJWs whining about it!
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »

All I know is that pc is really out of control; it's getting to where honest hardworking Americans can't even deface property with nazi imagery or send out racist death threats anymore without a bunch of sensitive SJWs whining about it!

The person who made the death threats was arrested. Again, that proves the system is not racist and is working as it should.

Again, the swastika was bad but what does that have to do with the president of university?
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »

Again, the swastika was bad but what does that have to do with the president of university?

You are leaving out a lot of the story.  I don't know if it is out of ignorance or agenda.

I'm surprised there's no discussion of this already. Are people just burnt out from discussion Black Lives Matter? Even though posters will probably fall along the same lines they always do, I still think this topic calls for discussion. It's a huge news story and who knows? Maybe some posters will surprise us with home they come down.

It's better to not discuss something if you don't know all the facts.  You made a long post but there were only two facts in it about the Missouri story.  The rest of the post was denigrating the student protesters.  That's more of an opening for a hit piece than an honest attempt at starting an unbiased discussion.  I haven't taken a side in this discussion but what you are doing is really appalling.  It was better when there was no thread about this.

I've lost track of how many threads on this forum I had to come into on page two to debunk the BS in the OP.  It's like posters throw some read meat out there and the savages pour in without even bothering to properly read the link the story came from... assuming a link is even provided... from a reliable unbiased news source.  Something you obviously are not a fan of.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »

If I'm leaving out parts of the story, offer up those parts of the story.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »

Ban student demonstrations imo. Clearly they have too much time on their hands. No wonder 4-year (let alone 6-year) graduation rates are absurdly low.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »

It's your thread.  You should have posted a reliable source or sources and quotes that back up what you are saying.  It's not our job to do your research for you.  If you think that everything was just peachy at this university and then one swastika went up and the next day students demanded the system president resign you are delusional.  It's up to you to prove you aren't.  How is that my job?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »

This is the email that sparked the Yale protests.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »

I hope this doesn't become the left-wing Tea Party. Whining about free speech and safe spaces
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »

It seems like the protests at Missouri stemmed out of legit issues that caused students to fear for their safety. It's quickly being co-opted at other universities by radical left-wing groups with weak grievances and ridiculous demands, though. This isn't really an offshoot of BLM, more a spin-off of Occupy combining with them.

The college campuses were always going to be the weak spot for the radical left to take on. It's the one place where they have legitimate numbers.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2015, 07:34:13 AM by Famous Mortimer »

It's your thread.  You should have posted a reliable source or sources and quotes that back up what you are saying.  It's not our job to do your research for you.  If you think that everything was just peachy at this university and then one swastika went up and the next day students demanded the system president resign you are delusional.  It's up to you to prove you aren't.  How is that my job?

"It's not my job to educate you!" the last refuge of someone who has no argument.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »

"I'm posting on a politics message board! I don't have time to discuss politics!"
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »

It's your thread.  You should have posted a reliable source or sources and quotes that back up what you are saying.  It's not our job to do your research for you.  If you think that everything was just peachy at this university and then one swastika went up and the next day students demanded the system president resign you are delusional.  It's up to you to prove you aren't.  How is that my job?

"It's not my job to education you!" the last refuge of someone who has no argument.

Your thread is ludicrous.  A big long post and only two facts about the Missouri protests.  You need to learn to debate.  Just because you make an assertion doesn't make it true.  You have to provide proof.  It's not up to the people you are trying to convince to prove your case for you.  You're lazy.  Or have no case.  I can't decide which.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

"It's not my job to education you!" the last refuge of someone who has no argument.

Your thread is ludicrous.  A big long post and only two facts about the Missouri protests.  You need to learn to debate.  Just because you make an assertion doesn't make it true.  You have to provide proof.  It's not up to the people you are trying to convince to prove your case for you.  You're lazy.  Or have no case.  I can't decide which.

This is a discussion, not a debate. If you feel key information is lacking from the conversation, provide it yourself.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »

It's your thread.  You should have posted a reliable source or sources and quotes that back up what you are saying.  It's not our job to do your research for you.  If you think that everything was just peachy at this university and then one swastika went up and the next day students demanded the system president resign you are delusional.  It's up to you to prove you aren't.  How is that my job?

Your thread is ludicrous.  A big long post and only two facts about the Missouri protests.  You need to learn to debate.  Just because you make an assertion doesn't make it true.  You have to provide proof.  It's not up to the people you are trying to convince to prove your case for you.  You're lazy.  Or have no case.  I can't decide which.

This is a discussion, not a debate. If you feel key information is lacking from the conversation, provide it yourself.

I've already provided key information.  No black student is going to stick their neck out and demand the system president resign because one anonymous swastika went up.  And no system president is going to resign simply because that guy asked him to over a single incident like that.  What the OP is saying is ridiculous.  He's left out massive amounts of the story and created this bizarre caricature.  I haven't been following the story and even I know the OP is garbage.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »

Your thread is ludicrous.  A big long post and only two facts about the Missouri protests.  You need to learn to debate.  Just because you make an assertion doesn't make it true.  You have to provide proof.  It's not up to the people you are trying to convince to prove your case for you.  You're lazy.  Or have no case.  I can't decide which.

I've already provided key information.  No black student is going to stick their neck out and demand the system president resign because one anonymous swastika went up.  And no system president is going to resign simply because that guy asked him to over a single incident like that.  What the OP is saying is ridiculous.  He's left out massive amounts of the story and created this bizarre caricature.  I haven't been following the story and even I know the OP is garbage.

None of that is information. Those are called assumptions. University presidents can resign over huge losses in revenue on account of football. And what exactly do you think it going on in Ithaca? The OP is more accurate than anything you have falsely said, and he is under no obligation to provide a full story. He provided a huge chunk of it to start a discussion.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »

The Missouri President pissed people off by going after grad students' healthcare and cutting the University's ties with Planned Parenthood.  When that was combined by his flatfooted response to racist incidents, it was a PR failure.  Like it or not, at least 50% of a University President's job is PR. 

As for Yale, they're just Ivy League marxist babies who want to be activists about something.  They go to a school where they have every advantage and nothing to complain about.  Scratch that, they have their annoying rich kid classmates to complain about.  But, guess what?  They deserve each other. 

And, as for the rest of these protests, I think it is getting out of hand.  A college can't solve individual-level racism or create some magical environment where social issues like racism don't exist.  They can only treat their students fairly and give them an education. 
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »

This is the email that sparked the Yale protests.

*snip*

I love how everyone keeps missing the joke I added at the end (we were talking on AAD about how the student protesters were claiming it affected their sanity to read it).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »

Having seen pictures of the "poop swastika", it has to be one of the most underwhelming things I've ever seen on the internet. Have people even seen the inside of public bathrooms before?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2015, 12:42:19 PM by Thinking Crumpets Crumpet »

The Yale incident is a long time coming. It's not just the e-mail, but a series of minor (and moderate) incidents against both minorities and women that have been building for months if not years. Honestly, though, my only observation is that my school (UW) hasn't seen any protests. We're definitely better than a lot of schools in terms of systemic racism and sexism, but everyone knows it's still there. And yet, as far as I know there haven't been any protests or strikes, just a few Facebook postings that have gone around.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »

The Yale incident is a long time coming. It's not just the e-mail, but a series of minor (and moderate) incidents against both minorities and women that have been building for months if not years. Honestly, though, my only observation is that my school (UW) hasn't seen any protests. We're definitely better than a lot of schools in terms of systemic racism and sexism, but everyone knows it's still there. And yet, as far as I know there haven't been any protests or strikes, just a few Facebook postings that have gone around.

Can you give concrete examples.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »

Can you give concrete examples.

Of incidents at Yale? Sure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/02/students-accuse-yale-sae-fraternity-brothers-of-having-a-white-girls-only-policy-at-their-party/

http://www.salon.com/2010/10/15/yale_fraternity_pledges_chant_about_rape/

http://koin.com/ap/yale-urges-discussion-on-renaming-college-honoring-racist/

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/10/15/yale-investigates-racist-graffiti-schools-african-american-studies-dept/

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/02/13/breaking-sae-banned-from-campus-after-violating-sexual-misconduct-policies/
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »

This is also an issue, from what I've heard:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/06/news/yale-diversity-faculty-pledge/index.html

I don't really know about the 22.5% minority statistic, though, since that's pretty much on par with Connecticut as a whole.
GOP732
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »

When historians study the fall of the United States, these insane PC protests will be part of the narrative. I don't know if it will be the beginning, middle, or end of the story, but it will be in there.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies