Paris Attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:12:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paris Attacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Paris Attacks  (Read 35146 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »

I hear a lot of talk about ISIS but they haven't claimed responsibility. Don't they always claim responsibility? I think maybe this could be Al Queda or AQAP.

Yeah they haven't but the guys speaking on media don't always care about those little 'details'.

Also, 4 policemen would have been killed during the assault on Bataclan.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »

First off, what happened in France today is absolutely awful, and my condolences and prayers go to the victims, their relatives, and those close to them.

Second off, it is absolutely integral that we do not derive the wrong lessons from this tragedy. It would be wrong to blame or retaliate on refugees (as, unfortunately, might be happening in Calais, in what -- if it is happening -- is just as deplorable an attack as the one that happened in Paris), many of whom are running to escape this very sort of terror, and it would be wrong to blame or retaliate on Western Muslims as a whole, who, as a bloc, absolutely do not condone this sort of violence. At the same time, it would be wrong to forget who is responsible (terrorist groups of Muslim Middle Eastern origin), and it would be wrong to let them and their friends go unpunished for over 100 deaths.

Last off, I hate to agree with Donald Trump on anything at all, and now is probably the wrong time. Nevertheless, it must be said that if the French government took the first word of Liberté, egalité, fraternité more seriously, 4 people might not have murdered 80.

That is all.

Get stuffed, you little creep.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »

First off, what happened in France today is absolutely awful, and my condolences and prayers go to the victims, their relatives, and those close to them.

Second off, it is absolutely integral that we do not derive the wrong lessons from this tragedy. It would be wrong to blame or retaliate on refugees (as, unfortunately, might be happening in Calais, in what -- if it is happening -- is just as deplorable an attack as the one that happened in Paris), many of whom are running to escape this very sort of terror, and it would be wrong to blame or retaliate on Western Muslims as a whole, who, as a bloc, absolutely do not condone this sort of violence. At the same time, it would be wrong to forget who is responsible (terrorist groups of Muslim Middle Eastern origin), and it would be wrong to let them and their friends go unpunished for over 100 deaths.

Last off, I hate to agree with Donald Trump on anything at all, and now is probably the wrong time. Nevertheless, it must be said that if the French government took the first word of Liberté, egalité, fraternité more seriously, 4 people might not have murdered 80.

That is all.

There's anything wrong with what he said.Huh
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »

That is all.

You read the last paragraph? And you've read Trump's tweet?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2015, 09:14:52 PM »

That is all.

You read the last paragraph? And you've read Trump's tweet?

Well, Trump's tweet was ridiculous, dumb and deeply moronic, but that doesn't discredit everything he says.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »

3 of the 4 terrorist guys of the Bataclan died by suicide bombing.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:53 PM »

I should have put the last paragraph in bold. But it still stands, an armed populace is no insurance against these acts. None.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

It now appears that the four police officers thought to have died may have been a mix up by the media, and could actually have been referring to the four attackers that died instead.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »

It now appears that the four police officers thought to have died may have been a mix up by the media, and could actually have been referring to the four attackers that died instead.

Maybe, the itélé reporter said it wasn't confirmed but that it really seemed what it was meant.

Anyhow, 3 terrorist guys died close to Stade de France.

Which makes a team of at least 7 terrorists confirmed by police.

And apparently still 2 groups, the Bataclan one, which would have other Parisian shootings before taking the Bataclan, really pro if so, but a source told to itélé that one of the terrorist was quite young too, and the Stade de France group.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »

I should have put the last paragraph in bold. But it still stands, an armed populace is no insurance against these acts. None.

Of course it isn't (and can actually facilitate/worsen situations), but that doesn't stop the emotional appeal it has to some people.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2015, 09:59:51 PM »

Hey thank u Montréal too:

Apparently they sung the Marseillaise there too, I wasn't comfortable with the ambiance when people singing it in Charlie gathering, but well, when some people sing it for you, might be different...

Nice tribute from Obame to the city of Paris too, more than a 'standard mourning'.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »

I hear a lot of talk about ISIS but they haven't claimed responsibility. Don't they always claim responsibility? I think maybe this could be Al Queda or AQAP.

Most likely Wahhabi jihadists regardless of which group.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #187 on: November 13, 2015, 10:22:21 PM »

The tactics here seem a lot more organized than ISIS usually is in their brutality. Again, this feels much more like the London and Mumbai attacks than ISIS' style.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:46 PM »

It does feel more like Al Qaeda... but ISIS is still young, it doesn't really have a "style" yet on how they attack people beyond their territory because they usually haven't yet.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »

IndiaToday says death toll is 153 so far, in case someone hasn't reported that.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2015, 11:07:48 PM »

According to a French reporter on MSNBC, there were 8 attackers.

7 were suicide bombers, first time suicide bombers were in France and the worst loss of life in France since WW II. Most pf the attackers died at the stadium or theater, one was shot to death.

200 injured, 80 lost limbs or have another serious injury, in addition to the 120+ dead.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2015, 11:18:07 PM »

It is sad. My condolences go out to the people of France.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2015, 12:00:02 AM »

Disgusting. France is literally one of the most innocent countries in the whole clusterfuck that is the Middle East, seeing as they refused to intervene in Iraq and aren't involved in the stupid actions that led to the destabilization and rise of ISIS to begin with.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »

By the way, I sincerely hope the French actually do something in response other than a "unity march."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2015, 12:50:26 AM »

God this is horrendous.

Btw, mods plz filter out anybody sharing posts from Twitter.  I like to get my news from actual sources sharing verified, non-totally-made-up facts in over 140 characters thx.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2015, 02:35:32 AM »

Terrible.

I was watching the France-Germany football game yesterday and there were 2 loud explosions in the first half of the game.

I thought it was the usual crackers that some fans set off, but then the commentator said that there "was no smoke" (like usual when these things are set off in a stadium) and I got a weird feeling that something must have happened outside the stadium.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2015, 02:54:37 AM »

Oh God, not again.....  Sad

The terrorists must really have it in for France, even more so than other European countries, even the United States. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2015, 03:24:59 AM »

Austrian politicians (Faymann, Mitterlehner, Fischer, Kurz, Strache, Glawischnig etc.) have offered condolences to the French people and victims families.

Also, security measures in Austria have been stepped up significantly today - especially because the Syria conference starts in Vienna today.

http://orf.at/stories/2309869/2309867

http://www.wsj.com/articles/kerry-arrives-in-vienna-for-talks-on-syria-1447442385
swl
France

« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2015, 06:02:40 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2015, 06:15:24 AM by swl »

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks.

https://ia801505.us.archive.org/32/items/CommuniqueAudio/communique%20audio.mp3
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2015, 06:13:31 AM »

RIP to the victims
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length