Paris Attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:47:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paris Attacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: Paris Attacks  (Read 34824 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 15, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
« edited: November 15, 2015, 10:19:48 AM by Famous Mortimer »

We've raised a generation of college students to automatically blame White people for everything. When Brown people kill innocent people for no good reason, it causes their brains to overheat.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #251 on: November 15, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2015, 10:54:55 AM by Grumps »

Please don't. It's irritating and people are just doing to say they care when they've forgotten about it almost immediately.  But the latte liberals have to show they care. 
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #252 on: November 15, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »

Last I checked Paris isn't a warzone while Lebanon is directly next to one, not to mention the extremely heated ethnic divisions that not too long ago culminated in one of the most bloody civil wars.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #253 on: November 15, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »

Many updates today. Here are a few:

1. A presumed getaway car has been found; it contains several AK-47s. It is being speculated that, therefore, some of the terrorists got away and are at large.

2. There are (like right now) reports coming in of an international arrest warrant for an individual in direct connect to the attacks.

3. The identity of one of the terrorists (a French national identified almost immediately due to fingerprint records: seems he had a record as a petty criminal) has been officially confirmed and a bunch of people associated with him have been arrested.

4. Two deceased terrorists are said to have been French nationals living in Belgium. Some people have been arrested there as well.

5. Media reports (so this is the usual unconfirmed careful-now stuff) suggest that three of those involved were brothers.

6. The Egyptian passport found at one of the scenes apparently belonged to a victim (alive but critically injured) not to one of the terrorists.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/live/paris-attacks-live-updates/shots-heard-in-marais-neighborhood-of-paris/

Gunfire reported in the Marais neighbourhood of Paris.
FDRfan1985
Rookie

« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

JUST IN: French jets have begun bombing the defacto ISIS capital of Raqqa, dropping 20 bombs and targeting a terrorist training camp, a command center and a weapons warehouse, French defense ministry says: http://abcn.ws/1SuzFn2
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »

I just learned someone that I spent time with during my last trip to Paris and kept in touch with was one of the victims and he was in the bar where we would all go... Ugh.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »

I just learned someone that I spent time with during my last trip to Paris and kept in touch with was one of the victims and he was in the bar where we would all go... Ugh.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #259 on: November 15, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »

Call me a fanatic, but as an American I feel weak when France and Russia are blowing up the terrorists better than America. We have a leader who isn't pushing full force. He has one year left as President, Obama has an opportunity to blow the hell outta ISIS. We could unite the world against terror.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »

Call me a fanatic, but as an American I feel weak when France and Russia are blowing up the terrorists better than America. We have a leader who isn't pushing full force. He has one year left as President, Obama has an opportunity to blow the hell outta ISIS. We could unite the world against terror.

I don't know what sort of radical gay agenda you're into nowadays, but Obama isn't going to be blowing any terrorists.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2015, 05:57:46 AM »

The civilized world cannot let these murders go unanswered. It's already pretty clear that the strands of connections for these terrorists run through France, Belgium, Greece, and Syria.

I've heard a number of people state this weekend that Assad is key to addressing the ISIS problem. Should the U.S. back off from having a position of wanting to oust Assad, in order to allow Syrian forces into the battle against ISIS?

Also, don't these attacks bolster the argument of those who say that taking in Syrian refugees in the numbers being spoken of by the President represents a serious threat to American security?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2015, 05:58:26 AM »

Also, don't these attacks bolster the argument of those who say that taking in Syrian refugees in the numbers being spoken of by the President represents a serious threat to American security?

no.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2015, 06:48:38 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2015, 07:31:25 AM by Alex 🐺🎴🌀 »

The three identified suspects are:
Bilal Hafdi, a Belgian-born individual who previously fought in Syria with ISIL.
Ahmed Almuhamed, a 25-year-old who entered France posing as a Syrian refugee.
Omar Ismaël Mostefai, a 29-year-old from the Paris suburb of Courcouronnes
Ibrahim and Salah Abdeslam, three Belgian-born French brothers
Samy Amimour: Born in Paris in 1987, Samy was already known to authorities because of a previous terrorism case
We must stop those dirty Belgian immigrants 👅
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2015, 07:13:24 AM »

One border check would have prevented them from getting to Paris. There might have been a shoot out with border guards at most. Schengen needs to be suspended
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2015, 07:38:06 AM »

The immigrant crisis was already threatening Schengen. This attack has only made it worse.
rob in cal
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »

I wonder how deep the connections are between the French Moslem and Belgian Moslem communities.  Do many families have people living in both countries?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

Here's an important issue that has not been mentioned much but which you have to hope the relevant authorities are looking seriously at: where did they get their weapons from? Even in a state as dysfunctional as Belgium you can't just go out and buy an AK-47.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

Bilal Hafdi, a Belgian-born individual who previously fought in Syria with ISIL.
Samy Amimour: Born in Paris in 1987, Samy was already known to authorities because of a previous terrorism case

Sure, we don't have to worry much about Belgian immigrants here in the U.S., but given the porous nature of our southern border, there may in fact be legitimate concerns about terrorists entering in that way. However, the real issue is that if we plan on welcoming 10,000 Syrian refugees to our shores, how many of them will share the views of another "refugee", Ahmed Almuhamed? He and others like him represent the threat I'm most concerned about, and it only takes a handful of them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »

Can't you troll elsewhere?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »

Here's an important issue that has not been mentioned much but which you have to hope the relevant authorities are looking seriously at: where did they get their weapons from? Even in a state as dysfunctional as Belgium you can't just go out and buy an AK-47.

Honestly it's not that hard to get access to weapon in most European countries, and it's even easier if you have connection to criminals, which you often find among Islamist groups. You can't do a lot about it, except throwing the book after the people who sold them to them. After the attack in Copenhagen the   Danish judicial system began to go after the people who got the weapon to El-Hussein, and they have decided to use the terror law against them.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »

Call me a fanatic, but as an American I feel weak when France and Russia are blowing up the terrorists better than America.

Fortunately, life is not a video game, so we won't lose if we don't get the high score in blowing up terrorists.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »

Call me a fanatic, but as an American I feel weak when France and Russia are blowing up the terrorists better than America.

Fortunately, life is not a video game, so we won't lose if we don't get the high score in blowing up terrorists.

Besides, the USA has the high score anyway.  It's not even close.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »

The big problem with this situation is NOT with refugees at all.  Thousands of young men from The West have gone to Syria to fight for ISIS and related groups.  The refugee crisis is a nice smokescreen for these men to come back to their country of origin and commit acts of terrorism. Many of these men are already known to western intelligence agencies and will not be able to fly back commercial to CDG. Fake Syrian docs are better than their legit French or Belgian passports.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »

Sure, we don't have to worry much about Belgian immigrants here in the U.S., but given the porous nature of our southern border, there may in fact be legitimate concerns about terrorists entering in that way. However, the real issue is that if we plan on welcoming 10,000 Syrian refugees to our shores, how many of them will share the views of another "refugee", Ahmed Almuhamed? He and others like him represent the threat I'm most concerned about, and it only takes a handful of them.

They are feeling for their lives? Why would they support the folks that want to kill them?  Its like saying no we can't take in any Jews during the Holocaust, which we unfortunately didn't do enough of, because they might be Nazis.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies