Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:46:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26
Author Topic: Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)  (Read 93078 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051105.wxpoll1105/BNStory/National/

People don't believe Martin is totally clean. 60% say Martin should take respoisibility for the scandal. But they don't trust the Conservatives to clean up the government either.

In other news:

The NDP is in the lead in BC (not that surprising given the recent turmoil over the strikes)
NDP has gained ground in larger cities and in Atlantic Canada
Liberal drop is highest outside Quebec, NOT in Quebec
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051105.wxpoll1105/BNStory/National/

People don't believe Martin is totally clean. 60% say Martin should take respoisibility for the scandal. But they don't trust the Conservatives to clean up the government either.

In other news:

The NDP is in the lead in BC (not that surprising given the recent turmoil over the strikes)
NDP has gained ground in larger cities and in Atlantic Canada
Liberal drop is highest outside Quebec, NOT in Quebec

Yeah, the Bloc actually dropped a point. That surprised me, but if what you say is true, then it would make sense.

Both the NDP and the tories have gone up 5 points Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2005, 10:49:05 PM »

If the public continues to believe that Martin is not blameless for this scandal, then this totally shameless and poor excuse for a Prime Minister is toast, and well he should be.

The only principle that man who has no principles lives by is whatever he has to do to stay in power, lie, twist, distort, blame anyone and everyone else, he'll do it.

His motto, and the motto of his government is "Deny, Deny, Deny.  It's anybody else's fault but ours."

Martin is either lying, stupid, or incompetent.  Take your pick. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2005, 11:01:45 PM »

His motto, and the motto of his government is "Deny, Deny, Deny.  It's anybody else's fault but ours."

Martin has ejected ten people from his party and has said absolutely nothing against the Gomery Report.  The Gomery Report essentially absolved him personally of any blame.  Jean Chrétien is, of course, up to his usual antics, but given that he neither is in power anymore nor is Paul Martin, that's not really relevant.

I'm having trouble seeing what Martin is denying.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »

Martin has ejected ten people from his party and has said absolutely nothing against the Gomery Report.  The Gomery Report essentially absolved him personally of any blame.  Jean Chrétien is, of course, up to his usual antics, but given that he neither is in power anymore nor is Paul Martin, that's not really relevant.

Ahh, Gabu. Still supporting the Liberals are we? Cheesy
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »

If the public continues to believe that Martin is not blameless for this scandal, then this totally shameless and poor excuse for a Prime Minister is toast, and well he should be.

The only principle that man who has no principles lives by is whatever he has to do to stay in power, lie, twist, distort, blame anyone and everyone else, he'll do it.

Martin is either lying, stupid, or incompetent.  Take your pick. 

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2005, 01:42:38 PM »

Layton has rejected the Liberal's health care offer.

http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=f10d68e4-fec6-4ac3-8a51-4e59634d403b

We will likely see an election in January.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2005, 02:13:39 PM »

Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2005, 10:59:01 PM »

Did some telephone surveys this evening. Some interesting answers Cheesy
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2005, 10:59:59 PM »

Seems like the Tories and Bloc won't trigger a NCM. They want the NDP to do it.

Will the NDP file a no confidence motion?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2005, 11:31:15 PM »

Seems like the Tories and Bloc won't trigger a NCM. They want the NDP to do it.

Will the NDP file a no confidence motion?

Don't know who will do it. I can't see the NDP doing it, though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2005, 02:21:43 PM »

Layton calls for February elections

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/09/layton-election051109.html
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2005, 06:49:52 PM »

RESPONSIBILITY!

Martin was Finance Minister and the senior minister from Quebec during the time all this rip off of taxpayers dollars by the Liberal Party of Canada was going on.

Like I said, Martin is either lying, stupid, or incompetent.  Take your pick.  You can choose up to three.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2005, 10:14:36 PM »

I really don't get the complaint about a December-January election. It's democracy after all, it's not suppose to be convinient. Besides, supressed turn out only really hurst the Liberals.

Siege
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2005, 10:54:04 PM »

RESPONSIBILITY!

Martin was Finance Minister and the senior minister from Quebec during the time all this rip off of taxpayers dollars by the Liberal Party of Canada was going on.

Like I said, Martin is either lying, stupid, or incompetent.  Take your pick.  You can choose up to three.

Well, the Gomery Report basically said that Martin did not play any part in and was not responsible for what happened.  If you want to dispute that claim, go ahead, but I don't see why Martin should take responsibility for something after a very, very lengthy investigation turned up basically nothing against him whatsoever.  If a judge gives a ruling of "not guilty" in a murder trial, should the accused serve a jail sentence anyway just so we have some clear person to take the fall for what happened?

I more get the sense that you would like Martin to be completely, directly responsible for what happened.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2005, 11:27:10 PM »

Hey everyone,

I will now make my predictions. Not for the election, but for the EKOS poll that will be released later this week. I have been doing some surveying for them, so I have some idea of how it may turn out.

Firstly, the "if the election were held tommorow, who would you vote for" question:

My predictions is:
Liberal: 35%
Conservative: 25%
NDP: 20%
Green: 5%

I left out the Bloc, because I dont think we had any french interviewers, although I could be wrong. I got only one or two Conservatives when I phoned, which I felt to be odd, and many New Democrats, and many Liberals, which I thought to be odd as well. May be because I didn't get many westerners.

Some other questions of interest:

I figure 80% of Canadians want an election within the next 6 months, whith about 50% wanting it after Gomery, and maybe 30% before.

And, one last thing of interest:

Would you be proud if your child grew up to be a politician?

I'd say 60% said disagree, and most strongly disagreed. Many were probably saying that in jest though. (Got many laughs)

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2005, 12:13:20 AM »

Hey everyone,

I will now make my predictions. Not for the election, but for the EKOS poll that will be released later this week. I have been doing some surveying for them, so I have some idea of how it may turn out.

Firstly, the "if the election were held tommorow, who would you vote for" question:

My predictions is:

I left out the Bloc, because I dont think we had any french interviewers, although I could be wrong. I got only one or two Conservatives when I phoned, which I felt to be odd, and many New Democrats, and many Liberals, which I thought to be odd as well. May be because I didn't get many westerners.

I figure 80% of Canadians want an election within the next 6 months, whith about 50% wanting it after Gomery, and maybe 30% before.

I'd say 60% said disagree, and most strongly disagreed. Many were probably saying that in jest though. (Got many laughs)

How do Canadians seem to react to a pollster coming in on the phone? Last year I saw a cartoon showing a man standing in his home looking at his sign on the front lawn that read: "Undecided voter. But support death penalty for pollsters."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2005, 12:48:45 AM »

Hey everyone,

My predictions is:

How do Canadians seem to react to a pollster coming in on the phone? Last year I saw a cartoon showing a man standing in his home looking at his sign on the front lawn that read: "Undecided voter. But support death penalty for pollsters."

hahahaha. Generally, I am more succesful doing a poll than with some of the other surveys we do. Well, for this survey I said in my introduction I was doing a poll, when normally I say I am doing a survey. Monday I talked to 8 people in about 3 1/2 hours which is really good. Today (Wednesday) I talked to 7 people in about 4 1/2 hours, which is probably average.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2005, 12:51:02 AM »

Why does it take you so long to interview one person?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2005, 01:18:39 AM »

Why does it take you so long to interview one person?

It only takes 10 minutes. Of course it takes a while to wade through approximately 20 phone calls (mostly people who arent home, and maybe 5-10 who arent interested) between willing participants.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2005, 03:44:34 AM »

I didn't get interviewed.  I feel so left out. Wink
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2005, 01:03:46 PM »

I hope the NDP don't get blown out in the next election. I don't expect them to, I suspect they'll gain seats in BC but we'll know soon enough.

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2005, 02:04:02 PM »

I didn't get interviewed.  I feel so left out. Wink

Sorry Gabu, maybe next time Wink

On the extremely rare event that I do interview you, listen in for "Earl from Ekos Research" Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2005, 06:39:59 PM »

Here's a link to the article on the poll I did. I was a little off with my prediction, but not much.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1131750620482&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2005, 01:35:43 PM »

The Opposition have ganged together, and will be forcing a January election, most likely.

Here is the CBC's guide to the upcoming election:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/election2005/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies