Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:55:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Author Topic: Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)  (Read 92641 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 02:46:38 PM »

Hey -  the increase has to come from somewhere. I hope they don*t gain uniformly again...disproportionate gains from First Nations might put Athapasca (sp?) on the agenda...

Not sure about Athabasca. Fort McMurray dominates the riding, and while I've never been there or know much about the city, i think it's very conservative. I think the NDP would have to win more than 4 seats provincially to get more than 0 federally. By the way- all 4 NDP seats in Alberta are in Edmonton.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2005, 02:51:09 PM »

You're probably right of course, I`m not denying that at all. You know that? Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »

You're probably right of course, I`m not denying that at all. You know that? Smiley

Rule #1: I'm always right Wink

So, do you have any predictions up your sleeve? I know the election is likely 10 months away, but it is still fun!
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 06:05:12 PM »

Prediction: Despite the predictions of pundits and hopeful New Democrats such as myself the NDP only pick up 3 seats nation wide bringing them to 22.

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 06:32:22 PM »

Prediction: Despite the predictions of pundits and hopeful New Democrats such as myself the NDP only pick up 3 seats nation wide bringing them to 22.

Siege

That's quite possible, but if you look at the numbers, it would be difficult. Remember: the NDP lost 12 seats by less than 1,000 votes. Also, Paul Martin had a big influence in those 12 seats not going NDP. I think the NDP can easily win 30+ seats. Where it won't happen is every province but Ontario and B.C. and NWT. (and maybe Saskatchewan)
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 09:29:43 PM »

Siege

That's quite possible, but if you look at the numbers, it would be difficult. Remember: the NDP lost 12 seats by less than 1,000 votes. Also, Paul Martin had a big influence in those 12 seats not going NDP. I think the NDP can easily win 30+ seats. Where it won't happen is every province but Ontario and B.C. and NWT. (and maybe Saskatchewan)

I have a feeling that the Cons will con more votes away from the Libs than the NDP will... sadly.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2005, 02:49:53 PM »

Grewal tapes were altered – forensic physicist

At the request of the Canadian Press (CP), Canada’s multimedia news agency, a top forensic sound analyst studied Grewal’s secretly recorded tapes and told CP that a conversation has been altered.

It appears a 46 second section of a conversation between Grewal and Dosanjh has an abnormal break indicating that a portion has been edited out.

Pausak, a physicist and MIT trained forensic scientist says "It appears to be altered. This brief segment at the beginning shows that it's not continuous, and it should be."

Pasauk identified a discontinuity where he confronted a zero-signal gap of about 0.3 seconds and then the conversation resumed.

The tapes have created a controversy within Parliament. Dosanjh, one of two Liberals that were secretly recorded by Grewal, has contended the tapes were altered because sections are missing by his recollection of how the conversation progressed.

In addition, half of the Conservative caucus apparently is opposed to making secret recordings, and have shown disdain for Grewal’s actions, some suggest Grewal’s career could be at risk.

Suspicion surrounding the authenticity of the recordings grew following Grewal's release of only portions of conversations. Fourteen days elapsed before the entire tapes were made public.

Repeatedly addressing the media Grewal claimed he was approached by the Liberals but this has been contradicted by Sudesh Kalia, a member of the Liberal Party, who says it’s the other way around. Kalia was approached by Grewal to propose a deal to jump parties in return for a cabinet post.

Since Kalia’s revelation Grewal has been relatively silent.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »

Odder and odder... I'm surprised that these games are still being played, it looks like they have to play nice together til about February... that or the longest election in Westminister Parliamentary history.

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2005, 11:05:58 PM »

Hey, did you hear Landry has decided to step down as PQ leader. That means Duceppe may replace him. Very interesting.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2005, 09:06:26 AM »

Hey, did you hear Landry has decided to step down as PQ leader. That means Duceppe may replace him. Very interesting.

I think Duceppe wants to take the government down before he leaves, he may change his mind though and go into Provincial politics, not that the BQ is Federal politics. I only wish that were funny...

Siege
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 06:07:05 PM »

And just when you thought the Liberal government might have an easy time of it, now it looks like same sex marriage might be the issue that brings it down.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/national/2005/06/07/martin-samesex050607.html
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 07:47:42 PM »

Hmm... odder and odder...

Siege
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 10:37:39 PM »

Gay marriage has been going on and on and on for something like two years now. Can't we talk about something else? Like all those Liberal scandals?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 11:02:44 PM »

Gay marriage has been going on and on and on for something like two years now. Can't we talk about something else? Like all those Liberal scandals?

NO

YOU SAW NOTHING
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »

Grewal tapes were altered – forensic physicist

At the request of the Canadian Press (CP), Canada’s multimedia news agency, a top forensic sound analyst studied Grewal’s secretly recorded tapes and told CP that a conversation has been altered.

It appears a 46 second section of a conversation between Grewal and Dosanjh has an abnormal break indicating that a portion has been edited out.

Pausak, a physicist and MIT trained forensic scientist says "It appears to be altered. This brief segment at the beginning shows that it's not continuous, and it should be."

Pasauk identified a discontinuity where he confronted a zero-signal gap of about 0.3 seconds and then the conversation resumed.

The tapes have created a controversy within Parliament. Dosanjh, one of two Liberals that were secretly recorded by Grewal, has contended the tapes were altered because sections are missing by his recollection of how the conversation progressed.

In addition, half of the Conservative caucus apparently is opposed to making secret recordings, and have shown disdain for Grewal’s actions, some suggest Grewal’s career could be at risk.

Suspicion surrounding the authenticity of the recordings grew following Grewal's release of only portions of conversations. Fourteen days elapsed before the entire tapes were made public.

Repeatedly addressing the media Grewal claimed he was approached by the Liberals but this has been contradicted by Sudesh Kalia, a member of the Liberal Party, who says it’s the other way around. Kalia was approached by Grewal to propose a deal to jump parties in return for a cabinet post.

Since Kalia’s revelation Grewal has been relatively silent.

maybe this is evolving into Canada's Rathergate... Grin
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »

Did any of you hear the recent poll numbers?

Liberals - 38%
Conservatives  - 23%
NDP - 21%

OUCH
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2005, 01:36:36 AM »

Liberals - 38%
Conservatives  - 23%
NDP - 21%

OUCH
Whoa!! That translates into about 140 Liberals right!! The Tories are still angry though...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2005, 01:42:34 AM »

Liberals - 38%
Conservatives  - 23%
NDP - 21%

OUCH
Whoa!! That translates into about 140 Liberals right!! The Tories are still angry though...

I think that's close to a majority for the Liberals- may 150 or 155 seats. That's about 70-80 seats for the tories and around 40 for the NDP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2005, 04:36:55 AM »

The poll in question: Lib 37/Con 23/NDP 21 is by Decima Research and was published yesterday, not sure who for. Can't find any breakdowns.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2005, 11:42:09 AM »

The poll also showed the NDP in #2 place in Ontario. Cheesy
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2005, 02:11:14 PM »

Sadly, I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of this poll now...

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2005, 10:19:32 PM »

Sadly, I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of this poll now...

Siege

LOL, obviously. It's Decima research! They tend to overstate the NDP. Ipsos-Reid I find is the most accurate.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2005, 09:36:31 AM »

Does anyone remember who the Globe & Mail endorsed in the 2004 Canadian Election? A while ago someone told me that the paper was usually centrist. Do they endorse only by riding or did they choose between Harper and Martin?

I was also told that the Toronto Star reflected my personal beliefs, but I felt the Globe had much better election coverage last summer.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2005, 11:10:44 AM »

Fairly recent Ipsos Reid poll

Ontario:
Conservative Party - 31%
Liberals - 44% *****
NDP - 16%
Green Party - 7%

Quebec:
Conservative Party - 9%
Liberals - 22%
NDP - 12%
Bloc Quebecois - 51% *****
Green Party - 4%

British Columbia:
Conservative Party - 29%
Liberals - 35% *****
NDP - 23%
Green Party - 11%

Alberta:
Conservative Party - 60% *****
Liberals - 19%
NDP - 10%
Green Party - 10%

Saskatchewan/Manitoba
Conservative Party - 33%
Liberals - 35% *****
NDP - 27%
Green Party - 3%

Atlantic Canada
Conservative Party - 38%
Liberals - 42% *****
NDP - 17%
Green Party - 0%

Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2005, 11:38:55 AM »

The NDP really should be gaining ground in Ontario from the Liberals, not losing ground as a whole. Lunatic strategic voting.

Siege
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies