Canada 2006 (23rd Jan) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2006 (23rd Jan) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)  (Read 93067 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: June 15, 2005, 09:36:31 AM »

Does anyone remember who the Globe & Mail endorsed in the 2004 Canadian Election? A while ago someone told me that the paper was usually centrist. Do they endorse only by riding or did they choose between Harper and Martin?

I was also told that the Toronto Star reflected my personal beliefs, but I felt the Globe had much better election coverage last summer.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 02:17:59 AM »

This is the first time I've used the Hill & Knowlton calculator, its really cool Smiley
It looks like nationwide, we'll be seeing about an 8-11% swing from Liberal to Conservative Sad

I realize that the Liberals have been in power 12 years and that its not good to have 1 party in power that long, so I guess I'm resigned to a Tory victory.

Will Steven Harper ban gay marriage?

Reading through this thread its funny that the Liberals are called the Grits, why? Grits are a food from the Southern U.S. I thought.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:13:52 AM »

What is a dipper?

Poor Paul Martin Sad 

I wonder if people in the UK in 1979 were like this, so mad at the incumbents but oblivious to the horrible leader they were about to elect.

Harper and Merkel are going to be Bush's you-know-whats even more than Blair, ugh (and Blair at least is still left wing, by American standards).

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:19:35 AM »

I can't wait for tomorrow night. I'll probably be depressed and dissapointed, but I still can't wait. It'll be Canada's 1980 election Sad

Please don't go too far Canada........

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 09:34:06 PM »

I can't wait for tomorrow night. I'll probably be depressed and dissapointed, but I still can't wait. It'll be Canada's 1980 election Sad

I am very disappointed that you decided to support corruption, lies, broken promises and Canada's other Conservative Party instead of positive change (for the NDP)

Ouch.

Please remember how little I know of Canadian Politics compared to some of you. Come to think of it, the Kids in the Hall never did anything about politics, I don't remember any Mulroney jokes.

A) I'm afraid of Change in this case
B) I have one issue riding (no pun intended) on this election, and the Liberals were the ones that got the job done.
C) Earl as I've said before, if I was Canadian, I'd be in your party (NDP) I don't have the same perspective down here. Its either one party or a polar opposite.

The Liberals won a majority in the 1980 election.  I think you're thinking of the 1984 election, in which the Conservatives won a much larger victory than they're likely to get in this election.  The country wasn't demolished after that election; somehow I get the sense it will survive this one.

I suspect the 1980 election that Pym was referring to was the American election, not the Canadian.

That is correct. Not just a regular conservative victory but the beginning of 26 years of Republican dominance.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »

The Liberals won a majority in the 1980 election.  I think you're thinking of the 1984 election, in which the Conservatives won a much larger victory than they're likely to get in this election.  The country wasn't demolished after that election; somehow I get the sense it will survive this one.

I suspect the 1980 election that Pym was referring to was the American election, not the Canadian.

What happened in the 1980 US election... ?

Didn't you yanks elect some old fool who took naps and told jokes all the time.

Other than winning the cold war, ending the arms race, freeing hundred of millions of people from communism, starting the longest economic expansion in US history, cutting unemployment from 10% to 5%, dropping inflation from 18% to 2%, cutting interest rates from 20% to 5%, and reducing income taxes 25% across the board I can't think of a single meaningful thing he did...

Given the way you yanks reacted in 2004 when he died, (damn near shutting down the nation for a week, 100s of thousands waiting in line to pay respects and all), you might have thought THE GREATEST PRESIDENT OF THE 20TH CENTURY had does or something...

<<this post is, of course, not related to this thread, so please ignore Smiley >>

When I first read this I was like "Wow! Vorlon hates Reagan too, cool! Then I read it again and I picked up the sarcasm.

Very clever
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies