Canada 2006 (23rd Jan) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:39:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2006 (23rd Jan) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)  (Read 93048 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: June 08, 2005, 11:02:44 PM »

Gay marriage has been going on and on and on for something like two years now. Can't we talk about something else? Like all those Liberal scandals?

NO

YOU SAW NOTHING
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 04:01:47 AM »

It's a darn shamed. The Liberals aren't much better. Canadians should wake up and smell the NDP Cheesy

Oh, I've been smelling the NDP for a long time; the scent is very distinct. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 11:01:45 PM »

His motto, and the motto of his government is "Deny, Deny, Deny.  It's anybody else's fault but ours."

Martin has ejected ten people from his party and has said absolutely nothing against the Gomery Report.  The Gomery Report essentially absolved him personally of any blame.  Jean Chrétien is, of course, up to his usual antics, but given that he neither is in power anymore nor is Paul Martin, that's not really relevant.

I'm having trouble seeing what Martin is denying.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 10:54:04 PM »

His motto, and the motto of his government is "Deny, Deny, Deny.  It's anybody else's fault but ours."

I'm having trouble seeing what Martin is denying.

RESPONSIBILITY!

Martin was Finance Minister and the senior minister from Quebec during the time all this rip off of taxpayers dollars by the Liberal Party of Canada was going on.

Like I said, Martin is either lying, stupid, or incompetent.  Take your pick.  You can choose up to three.

Well, the Gomery Report basically said that Martin did not play any part in and was not responsible for what happened.  If you want to dispute that claim, go ahead, but I don't see why Martin should take responsibility for something after a very, very lengthy investigation turned up basically nothing against him whatsoever.  If a judge gives a ruling of "not guilty" in a murder trial, should the accused serve a jail sentence anyway just so we have some clear person to take the fall for what happened?

I more get the sense that you would like Martin to be completely, directly responsible for what happened.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 03:44:34 AM »

I didn't get interviewed.  I feel so left out. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 03:54:14 AM »

Newmarket-Aurora.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 05:11:17 AM »

she's gonna run in a tory seat (granted, one she won?)

Wouldn't the liberals move her to a safe riding?

Well, her re-election website displays Newmarket-Aurora as the riding in question.  That's all I know.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 04:57:44 AM »

My reasoning is that the NDP will be caught in the squeeze between the Conservatives and the Liberals, voters knowing the NDP cannot win, and mostly either voting Conservative for a change in government, or voting Liberal to keep the Conservatives out.

Why would the unlikelihood of an NDP victory make voters not vote NDP?  It's never stopped them before.

I predict the NDP to gain seats for one simple reason: the Liberal party is essentially the centrist party in Canada.  That means the ridings that a Liberal currently represents can go one of two ways: either more conservative (Conservative) or more liberal (NDP).  The more conservative places that previously voted Liberal are likely now to be won by the Conservative Party and the more liberal places that previously voted Liberal are likely now to be won by the NDP.

The people who voted NDP in the last election are not likely to change their votes: they knew that the NDP wasn't going to win last election, and a Tory minority was possible there, as well.  That means that the NDP voters' numbers can only go up from what they were in 2004.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 02:55:01 AM »

It seems that, given current polling, the Tories will likely form a minority government...how possible is it, if at all, that they could take a narrow majority...

what sort of polling numbers give that result?

Mulroney's PCs got 43% of the vote in 1988 when they got 160-ish seats.  I'd say that Harper is right on the cusp of where he'd need to be to get a majority.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 12:23:40 AM »

I can't seem to get why the NDP is losing support in BC.

I don't really know why, but BC has come to have an amazing ability to utterly defy and even openly revolt against basically any trends emerging in the rest of Canada.  I'm almost 100% sure that if the Conservatives got, say, a 200-seat majority, BC would give every last seat to the Liberals.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 01:28:57 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2006, 01:43:24 AM by Senator Gabu »

I can't seem to get why the NDP is losing support in BC.

I don't really know why, but BC has come to have an amazing ability to utterly defy and even openly revolt against basically any trends emerging in the rest of Canada.  I'm almost 100% sure that if the Conservatives got, say, a 200-seat majority, BC would give every last seat to the Liberals.

That's not what happened in 1984 Tongue

Yeah, but that was 1984, so the entire country turned to the dark side in homage of George Orwell.  They got back into the swing of things in 1988 when they were like "we're going with the mothaf***in' NDP, and you can't do a thing about it".  Then in 1993, when the Liberals got a 177-seat majority, BC was like "NOPE SORRY BACK TO THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY FOR US LOL".  Then the Liberals lost a considerable amount of support in 2004, so naturally, the Liberals got more seats in BC in that election than they had ever gotten under Chrétien.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 02:56:04 PM »

The good news: A good chance of the Liberals becoming the third party.
The bad news: If that happens probably a Conservative MAJORITY government Sad

This is basically my problem.  I think it's time for the Liberals to have a time-out in the corner, but the only other party with any chance of forming a government is the Conservatives.  If we get a Conservative minority, it'll be out within a year.  If we get a Conservative majority... well, we get a Conservative majority, which needs no further explanation.

Canada is basically screwed as far as this election goes.  There is basically no possible good outcome.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:50:05 AM »

Well, he's got somewhat of a point, really, even if the headline words it in a way that makes it sound funny.  This entire election is happening basically due to Layton, and if the Conservatives do get a majority government out of it, the NDP will have lost a ton of power compared with what they had under the minority Liberal government.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 03:10:21 AM »

Regardless of the slight inaccuracy regarding the position of Layton and Duceppe (at least in terms of projected number of seats), I feel absolutely compelled to post this here for comic relief.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 10:16:28 PM »

Very interesting poll from B.C... more useful than any regional breakdown methinks...

http://www.mustelgroup.com/pr/20060119.htm

I liked the part where 4% of respondents said that NDP has the best chance of winning. Cheesy
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 11:36:15 PM »

Anyways, I shall say this now, I cannot by law comment on election results until all the polls have closed. (f**k you Gabu Wink )

I'M HAULING YOU INTO THE BIG HOUSE MISTER
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 12:07:47 PM »

I can't wait for tomorrow night. I'll probably be depressed and dissapointed, but I still can't wait. It'll be Canada's 1980 election Sad

Please don't go too far Canada........

The Liberals won a majority in the 1980 election.  I think you're thinking of the 1984 election, in which the Conservatives won a much larger victory than they're likely to get in this election.  The country wasn't demolished after that election; somehow I get the sense it will survive this one.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:32:49 PM »

I watching CBC on CSPAN, and they mentioned that in 1993, the Conservative Party was reduced to two seats.  I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I saw the election, but still two seats.  TWO SEATS!!!  Maybe I'm just a simplistic American, but can someone explain this to me?

The Reform Party under Preston Manning basically sucked off all of the PC's support.  It wasn't that the right wing of Canada got only two seats, it was just the PC (to whom Brian Mulroney did a rather large disservice).
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »

I watching CBC on CSPAN, and they mentioned that in 1993, the Conservative Party was reduced to two seats.  I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I saw the election, but still two seats.  TWO SEATS!!!  Maybe I'm just a simplistic American, but can someone explain this to me?

The Reform Party under Preston Manning basically sucked off all of the PC's support.  It wasn't that the right wing of Canada got only two seats, it was just the PC (to whom Brian Mulroney did a rather large disservice).

Thanks.  If the whole Right only got two seats that would have been really amazing.  I have another question too, on CBC, they keep mentioning Senators, what is this title?

Canada has senators just like America, but they're appointed by the federal government (kind of like judges), not elected.  Stephen Harper wants to make them elected (probably because they currently strongly favor the Liberals, but never mind that).
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 10:48:19 PM »

Thanks.  If the whole Right only got two seats that would have been really amazing.  I have another question too, on CBC, they keep mentioning Senators, what is this title?

Canada has senators just like America, but they're appointed by the federal government (kind of like judges), not elected.  Stephen Harper wants to make them elected (probably because they currently strongly favor the Liberals, but never mind that).

Ok, do they have any real power, or are they like the House of Lords?

I believe that bills need to go through the Senate, but another Canadian poster may want to confirm that; I'm not actually well-versed in how the Senate goes about its business.

It's largely regarded as "the place where politicians go to die", however.  I wouldn't mind making it elected.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 12:25:58 AM »

That's quite possibly the most unholy alliance I've ever seen. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 08:21:42 PM »

Is this Harper a good speaker/performer or charismatic? I have seen him only few times on TV, but he seems to be fairly cold and unsympathetic guy. Look his eys!!! I think I see him like I think leftist people see conservative politicians generally and I am a conservative myself. What hell is happening to me?!?

Look at my signature to see what I think of him.  He's one of the most uninspiring politicians I've seen yet.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 09:53:59 PM »

How that Martin's resigned, who will be the next liberal leader?

I don't really know.  I'm personally hoping it'll be Keith Martin or Belinda Stronach or someone like that, but I have no idea who actually is a serious contender.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »

And people are seriously suggesting her as a Liberal leader already? (shakes head)

No.  I just happen to like her.  I have no real clue who the actual frontrunners for the Liberal leadership are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies