How impressed are you that Alexander the Great invaded Tajikistan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:17:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How impressed are you that Alexander the Great invaded Tajikistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Incredibly impressed

Mildly impressed

Indifferent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: How impressed are you that Alexander the Great invaded Tajikistan  (Read 1240 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Eschate

Considering the logistical challenges of the era and the immense geographic distance his armies had to cover to get there, I am incredibly impressed.

I would honestly list it as one of the most incredible military feats in history.

Again, the technology of the day made such a trip incredibly difficult relative to later empires: they were literally pushing the boundaries of the (western) Earth at that point. It's simply mind blowing that an army in 300 BC could make it to one of the most inaccessible places on Earth with the transportation and communication limitations placed on it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »

I am more amazed his empire stretched all the way to India, considering how far from his native Macedon the Indus river valley is. 
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »

I am more amazed his empire stretched all the way to India, considering how far from his native Macedon the Indus river valley is. 

Geographically I would argue his expansion into Central Asia was more difficult.

A few hundred more miles and Macedon would have bumped up against the Chinese sphere.....in 300 bc.

When did the Europeans get back to military interaction with China? 1600?

Thats mind boggling.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 01:38:15 AM »

Geographically I would argue his expansion into Central Asia was more difficult.

A few hundred more miles and Macedon would have bumped up against the Chinese sphere.....in 300 bc.

When did the Europeans get back to military interaction with China? 1600?

Thats mind boggling.

It was India -not Central Asia- that Alexander dreamed of conquering, and India was always the more difficult target given its dense population and military readiness, more so than even Persia.  
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »

Yes and no.

Yes because it shows how powerful the Greek empire could be.

No because it was prophesied in The Bible. The Greek Empire was going to happen and was the center of the statue.

(Of course, some conspiracy guys have a similar theory regarding modern empires, with the British Empire being the Greek, the Spanish being Babylon, The French being Medo-Persia, and the United States being Rome)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2015, 04:21:29 PM by Clarko95 »

I'm more impressed that he did this all in less than 10 years, and before he died at the age of 32.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »

Yes and no.

Yes because it shows how powerful the Greek empire could be.

No because it was prophesied in The Bible. The Greek Empire was going to happen and was the center of the statue.

(Of course, some conspiracy guys have a similar theory regarding modern empires, with the British Empire being the Greek, the Spanish being Babylon, The French being Medo-Persia, and the United States being Rome)
Uh... the Bible was written after Alexander the Great died...

The Old Testament/Torah was given its current form during the Post-Exilic/Persian period, and its earliest writings could be dated as far back as the Monarchic period (8th to 7th centuries, BC), or early Iron Age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:42:32 PM »

I was referring to Daniel, it's where the passage comes from. It's part of the OT/Jewish stuff.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2015, 05:52:15 PM by Frodo »

I was referring to Daniel, it's where the passage comes from. It's part of the OT/Jewish stuff.

Which dates to the Maccabean period (or Hellenistic era).  

So ssuperflash was right (sorta) after all....    
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »

Which dates to the Maccabean period (or Hellenistic era).  

So ssuperflash was right (sorta) after all....    

Yes and no.  My own personal opinion is that the Aramaic portions of Daniel predate the Maccabean revolt while the Hebrew portions were written during it as propaganda.  Those later chapters written in Hebrew get fairly specific and follow history closely up until the revolt and then they get a bit screwy.  I think I've given here before my own interpretation of the Aramaic portions of Daniel assuming that they are valid prophecy, but to recap, as far as being in charge, the prophecies there concern not the whole literal world, just the portion of interest to Nebuchadnezzar. Since Tajikistan in not Babylon, and indeed was never part of the Neo-Babylonian Empire, there is no Bible prophecy relevant to the place and certainly nothing prophesying the conquest of that area by anyone.
john1565
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:32 PM »

But did he managed to enter India? He was defeated in India according to many. If he had won, he would conquered India as it was an attraction for any commander.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:22:24 PM »

Slightly, but the Pashtuns in Afghanistan are invincible. You can win the battles and "occupy" them (kind of ish), for a bit, but they basically always win the war long term. Tough group of mountain fighters.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 03:15:14 AM »

Very impressive to be able to sustain an existence across this entire region.

Equally impressive was Ghengis Khan or Atilla the Hun coming the other way 1,000 years later.

You would like Total War: ATTILA in which you have to spread your civilisation in that direction. A real history buff's game.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »

We talked about it for months after it happened.  Yep, the good ole days.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »

We talked about it for months after it happened.  Yep, the good ole days.

Yeah, but the redistricting was a *#@?!.  Oh, the erosity!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »

Eh. I could have done it and been much more handsome while doing so.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 02:51:19 AM »

But did he managed to enter India? He was defeated in India according to many. If he had won, he would conquered India as it was an attraction for any commander.

If we are referring to the subcontinent (as opposed to the current modern state), yes, he did enter and win in India, albeit it was mostly a pyrrhic victory over King Poros (and I'm referring to the battle of Hydaspes) that convinced Alexander's army it would be foolhardy to continue deeper into India.  

After that he turned his attention to Arabia, which he would have likely conquered (at least the coastal areas) had he lived on.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies