When the Democrats regain the Senate...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:04:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When the Democrats regain the Senate...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...their first order of business should be to reverse the nuclear option they are opposed to
Yes (R/L)

No (R/L)

Yes, we're opposed to it, and we should reverse it immediately (D)

No, we don't really oppose it, and shouldn't reverse it (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: When the Democrats regain the Senate...  (Read 1565 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:30:02 AM »

Well?  What do you think?  I obviously voted Yes.  If they are opposed to it, they should change it back when they regain control, right?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:02:18 AM »

What they should do, or what they will do?

They should, but if they have a majority, especially if they have a Democratic President, they won't. And the Republicans will try to filibuster judicial nominees, but they won't be able to. On the other hand, if the Republicans don't exercise the Constitutional / Nuclear option now, the Democrats may try to do so themself if / when they regain control.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 10:21:36 AM »

On the other hand, if the Republicans don't exercise the Constitutional / Nuclear option now, the Democrats may try to do so themself if / when they regain control.

No they won't.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:23:33 AM »

What *should* they do?  Scoonie, you do, of course, agree that the filibuster should be put back in place when the Democrats come back, right?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:26:19 AM »

What *should* they do?  Scoonie, you do, of course, agree that the filibuster should be put back in place when the Democrats come back, right?

Yes, the fillibuster should be available for either party. If the Democrats tried to nominate wacko judges like the Republicans have, I would fully expect and support the Republicans using the fillibuster.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 10:31:38 AM »

Yes, the fillibuster should be available for either party. If the Democrats tried to nominate wacko judges like the Republicans have, I would fully expect and support the Republicans using the fillibuster.
Excellent.  I, and most likely most Republicans, are fully behind you putting back the filibuster when the Democrats regain control of the Senate (if that happens).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 10:32:10 AM »

That's why they're calling it "the nuclear option" - because just like with a nuke, everybody knows that everybody will be worse off afterwards, therefore neither side will use it. Unless one side is gone completely and irredeemably bonkers.

Anyways, that's the theory. It would follow from the theory that they won't change back, that the filibuster will be dead forever, and so will be moderates as a political force.
It would also follow from the theory that Republicans will likely not do it in the end.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:34:57 AM »

Excellent.  I, and most likely most Republicans, are fully behind you putting back the filibuster when the Democrats regain control of the Senate (if that happens).

But I'm sure you support them eliminating it now, right?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:53:45 AM »

Absolutely.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 10:55:53 AM »

No deal, my friend. You are what's wrong with America right now.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:18:59 PM »

No, what the Democrats should do is propose a Constitutional Amendment requiring a three-fifths vote for the Senate to approve judges.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 01:23:03 PM »

No, what the Democrats should do is propose a Constitutional Amendment requiring a three-fifths vote for the Senate to approve judges.
That would be the honest move.  This debate isn't about the First Amendment or the right of senators to debate.  That was made clear when Reid turned down Frist's "100 hours" option.  This debate is about whether a supermajority should be required for judicial confirmations.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 01:41:48 PM »

That would be the honest move.
More importantly, it would be the right move.  I don't want judges appointed for life by narrow majorities.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »

More importantly, it would be the right move.  I don't want judges appointed for life by narrow majorities.
I'm not sure I agree, but...you do realize that such a amendment doesn't have a chance, right?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 02:25:59 PM »

Absolutely.

Well, at least you don't even try to hide your blatantly Machiavellian motives. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 02:27:51 PM »

What makes you think that the Republicans won't put the rule back in between election day and when their terms expire if they lose control of the Senate?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »

I'm not sure I agree, but...you do realize that such a amendment doesn't have a chance, right?

It would be useful to the Democrats as a club with which to bash the GOP as extremists, if nothing else, and if the GOP got bruised enough by it they might just start supporting it as well.  However, I don't see any significant political effect coming out of this mess unless Bush appoints some controverial Supreme Court Justices that end up being the deciding factor in some controversial cases.  Until that happens this is all just a bunch of hot air that will be ignored by the vast majority of voters.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 02:47:58 PM »

It would be useful to the Democrats as a club with which to bash the GOP as extremists, if nothing else, and if the GOP got bruised enough by it they might just start supporting it as well.  However, I don't see any significant political effect coming out of this mess unless Bush appoints some controverial Supreme Court Justices that end up being the deciding factor in some controversial cases.  Until that happens this is all just a bunch of hot air that will be ignored by the vast majority of voters.
It's too late for that.  The Democrats opening move was to claim that the "nuclear" option was bad because it limited their right to free speech.  Changing tack to claim a right to supermajority opinion would be admitting that their original stance was BS.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 02:54:58 PM »

No (R/L)

Only a mere majority should be necessary to confirm judges. Almost every Democrat-appointed judge is a crazy extremist, and now they're calling people who actually believe in following the Constitution unfit to serve. The thing needs to be eradicated forever.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 05:07:09 PM »

No (R/L)

Only a mere majority should be necessary to confirm judges. Almost every Democrat-appointed judge is a crazy extremist, and now they're calling people who actually believe in following the Constitution unfit to serve. The thing needs to be eradicated forever.

Um, wouldn't making only a majority required make it a lot easier for Democrats to appoint judges when they have power?
Machiavelli
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »

Absolutely.

Well, at least you don't even try to hide your blatantly Machiavellian motives. Tongue

YOU CALLED
Shira

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 05:45:02 PM »

Democrats are not going to regain control of the senate. A state like ID provides the same number of senators as CA. Therefore the Democrats gradually will lose their ND, WV, MT, SD, LA, AR senators. They won't be compensated in ME, NH and RI. The guy from RI and the ladies from ME are moderate. NH and ME are blue but not heavily blue.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 05:56:15 PM »

Democrats are not going to regain control of the senate. A state like ID provides the same number of senators as CA. Therefore the Democrats gradually will lose their ND, WV, MT, SD, LA, AR senators. They won't be compensated in ME, NH and RI. The guy from RI and the ladies from ME are moderate. NH and ME are blue but not heavily blue.

In 1947, the composition of Congress looked like this:

Senate

Democrats: 45
Republicans: 51

House

Democrats: 188
Republicans: 246

In 1965, 18 years later, the composition of Congress looked like this:

Senate

Democrats: 68
Republicans: 32

House

Democrats: 295
Republicans: 140

I would be careful when professing that something will never, ever happen in politics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 06:18:22 PM »

No (R/L)

Um, wouldn't making only a majority required make it a lot easier for Democrats to appoint judges when they have power?

Republicans don't keep people off the bench for supporting Roe v. Wade like Democrats keep judges off the bench for opposing it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies