Attention classical music fans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:51:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Attention classical music fans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attention classical music fans  (Read 384 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »

I wrote a 50-page reduction, by hand, of a lovely but obscure orchestral work. (Did you ever wonder what I was doing when not creating maps?)

A friend of mine was kind enough to transform it into a Youtube video along with the only existing recording - this is the result. I encourage you to check out his channel - he's made impressive videos in the same style of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, Holst's The Planets and many rare and interesting works.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »

Very impressive.  My "in the zone" activity is filling notebook pages (must be college ruled five-star!) with demographic stats and weather stats.  But doing so allowed me to learn to visualize data very easily and pick out trends and their origins and causes.

I imagine breaking down music like this would help to experience it much more fully...and visualize it much better.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »

I imagine breaking down music like this would help to experience it much more fully...and visualize it much better.

That's very true. Currently the only way you can get your hands on the orchestra score is by having each page of the manuscript score photocopied at the Yale music library, so hopefully this makes the work accessible to more people.

I've made a long-term project of promoting Leo Ornstein's works - they're compelling and innovative and don't deserve to be so neglected.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

neat.  I wasn't familiar with this piece or the composer but I like it.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

That guy lived to 108
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »

Nice. It's fascinating to think how revolutionary Ornstein sounded in the early 20th century. As I listen to the work you linked I could easily imagine a decades old movie score, perhaps from a mystery or sci-fi thriller. Instead of revolutionary it sounds appropriate.

As for me I was into a far more traditional set of classical music this weekend. I sang in a chorus performing Mozart's Holy Trinity Mass with a small orchestra.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies