What do you have against Wall Street?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:07:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What do you have against Wall Street?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What do you have against Wall Street?  (Read 3353 times)
DS0816
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 11:50:13 PM »

Yes.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 12:50:02 AM »

No, we all know they don't exist because a bunch of people way left of center have all graciously defined the term for all of us!
I thought you said you weren't bitter?

I'm not (about the OP that I was clearly responding to).

I am about fringe people defining the political spectrum from their crazy chair.

I wasn't implying that you weren't a moderate Republican; I was saying that this sort of attitude being prevalent among moderate Republicans shows how moderate Republicans are still pretty right-wing.

The GOP is certainly further right than it was 10, 20 and especially 30 years ago.  However, I think it's often exaggerated how "liberal" the moderate and "liberal" Republicans of old were...
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »

There's an analogy I like to make about Wall Street.  If someone works at an ice cream store, they eat lots of ice cream and they get fat.  If someone works on Wall Street, they get lots of money and they get rich.  Such is the way of the world. 

This is exactly how I tend to think about financial services. Handling a lot of money involves proximity to a lot of money, and proximity to so much money leads to setting up a system whereby the handling of that money is deemed a valuable enough service to channel lots and lots of that money into the pockets of the people doing the handling. That's not to say it's nefarious or anything. Only that it doesn't appear to me at all evident that there's anything inherent about the financial services that dictate the sector make the outsize profits it's been making in recent years.

But the people in charge of the sector are the same people with the power to make markets and determine value, so it's no surprise that they continue to value themselves very highly.
Rob Bloom
Mirendorff
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »

I don't envy people who make more money than I do. But I don't like it if somebody steals my money. And if you look at the salaries and bonuses that some CEOs at Wall Street or in the City of London allow themselves - I think it's obvious that you cannot make so much money without cheating, without fraud nor without screwing over a lot of other people.

"A bank robbery is nothing compared to the founding of a bank." (Bertolt Brecht)
RR1997
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 05:15:29 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2016, 07:18:40 AM by RR1997 »

Unrestrained greed and cynicism.  People don't to go Wall Street to do anything but make money.  Way too many people in finance are just about pure greed.  People who work in technology love computers, people who design tractors love tractors, journalist love the news, people who work on Broadway love being gay, you know?  But, who loves doing financial homework?  Nobody really.  

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but this statement is absolutely ignorant and false. I am absolutely passionate about finance. I love investing and business. I love financial modeling and reading about various private equity deals, etc. Most people who end up successful on Wall Street are actually passionate about finance. Most of the Wall Street bigshots (like Henry Kravis, George Soros, etc) are actually interested in what they do. One thing every Wall Street big shot has in common is that they were all interested in finance ever since they were really young. A very significant portion of people who work on Wall Street are there because they are actually interested in finance.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 06:48:33 AM »

People may be legitimately interested in finance, but it strains credulity to imagine that they would be equally interested if it paid as much as being a supermarket cashier.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »

Unrestrained greed and cynicism.  People don't to go Wall Street to do anything but make money.  Way too many people in finance are just about pure greed.  People who work in technology love computers, people who design tractors love tractors, journalist love the news, people who work on Broadway love being gay, you know?  But, who loves doing financial homework?  Nobody really.  

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but this statement is absolutely ignorant and false. I am absolutely passionate about finance. I love investing and business. I love financial modeling and reading about various private equity deals, etc. Most people who end up successful on Wall Street are actually passionate about finance. Most of the Wall Street bigshots (like Henry Kravis, George Soros, etc) are actually interested in what they do. A very significant portion of people who work on Wall Street are there because they are actually interested in finance.

And I should care of this, if you are involved with the exploitation of the working class and poor, through wall street under capitalism. Why should I care, if you were passionate about finance?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 08:29:38 AM »

People may be legitimately interested in finance, but it strains credulity to imagine that they would be equally interested if it paid as much as being a supermarket cashier.

I highly doubt those people are passionate about their line of work at any paygrade so this is a terrible comparison.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

I highly doubt those people are passionate about their line of work at any paygrade so this is a terrible comparison.

I'm not directly comparing the professions. Only the level of pay. It's laughable to think people would be as passionate about finance if finance paid very little.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:01 AM »

I'm not directly comparing the professions. Only the level of pay. It's laughable to think people would be as passionate about finance if finance paid very little.

I'd still have the passion, but I'd be just as inclined to work in one of my other passions like floral design. Reverse which one is my line of work and which I do for fun. That's called being sensible.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »

I don't dislike someone for being rich. I dislike if the system and the political scales unfairly balance only the rich, leaving mamy of us voiceless in Washington.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 02:01:53 AM »

Our economy should not be tied to it, nor our savings.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

Those people's line of work requires no education, very minimal training, costs little in the way of the hiring process and there's not high demand for those jobs; they should get paid a lot less.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »

Nothing. That so many sociopath's work in the financial sector says nothing about the financial sector its self. Besides that, a big financial institution pays me a lot of money to do a minimal amount of work (I am posting from my desk as I speak)...so I can't really complain.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 10:32:49 PM »

I don't really despise Wall Street, they are just exercising their rights as free people. However, I wish the government would use their interstate Commerce powers to make sure they aren't screwing us over.

About this, so no.
I never saw this comment. What do you mean?

I think he's just agreeing with you, and he answered the poll "No".
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »

I honestly see no problem with people who don't let their work define themselves and only go to make a good living, not because it's a passion of theirs.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 06:50:19 AM »

I honestly see no problem with people who don't let their work define themselves and only go to make a good living, not because it's a passion of theirs.

I don't necessarily either. I think that's fine. I actually wish more people would approach work like that, rather than keeping up the fiction that everybody should be passionate about their job.

I just mean it's kind of laughable that there is something inherently captivating about finance that would keep people there regardless of the level of pay. I think to the degree that it inspires passion, it's precisely because of the potential level of pay.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

I don't really despise Wall Street, they are just exercising their rights as free people. However, I wish the government would use their interstate Commerce powers to make sure they aren't screwing us over.

About this, so no.
I never saw this comment. What do you mean?

I think he's just agreeing with you, and he answered the poll "No".

correct. Wink
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2016, 12:55:46 AM »

Playing reckless games with people's livelyhoods which nearly brought down the world economy?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »

Playing reckless games with people's livelyhoods which nearly brought down the world economy?

So send the few who had control over that to jail and don't implement a bunch of red tape that negatively affects every business out there.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »

So send the few who had control over that to jail and don't implement a bunch of red tape that negatively affects every business out there.

Hmm, that sounds like the opposite of what I would do considering that 'red tape' on Wall Street doesn't really negatively affect very many businesses and whatever few i-banking jobs are lost (they'd be lost in the cycles anyway) would simply be replaced with an incredible number of  regulatory jobs at the banks so they do what they are intended to do. The economy is more stable and thus businesses are positively affected.

No sense in sending people to jail and destroying more lives in response to this. Are we seriously going to turn into Italy, jailing scientists and the lot next? You have to have a guilty mind, and there is no sense in trying to prove that while convicting innocent ones.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »

I don't mind Wall Street. But, I am critical of some of their decisions, but I'm critical of almost everything.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies