Possible Running-Mates for Hillary Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:57:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Possible Running-Mates for Hillary Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Whom would you prefer to be Hillary's Vice-Presidential running-mate?
Hilda Solis

Wendy Davis

Julian Castro

John Hickenlooper

Martin O'Malley

Jay Nixon

Brian Schweitzer

Evan Bayh

Charlie Crist

Joe Biden

Tom Vilsack

Wesley Clark

Martin Heinrich

Mark Warner

Tim Kaine

Michael Bennet

Cory Booker

Xavier Becerra

Terry McAuliffe

Steve Bullock

Other (please specify)

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Possible Running-Mates for Hillary Clinton  (Read 5096 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »

Personally I prefer Hilda Solis -she has a long history of public service, serving in the California State Assembly, Congress, Labor Secretary in President Obama's first term, and now as Los Angeles County supervisor.  She has developed deep ties to the environmental, labor, and immigrant rights movements throughout her career, and would go a long way in reconciling the more progressive elements if and when Hillary eventually wins the nomination. 

As an added bonus, she was and is a Clinton loyalist, having been a strong supporter of her candidacy during the 2008 electoral cycle until Hillary finally conceded to Barack Obama -she is someone Hillary can trust and depend on.  She is experienced, unquestionably qualified, and more than capable of serving as President of the United States should anything happen to Hillary.

And with the GOP seemingly intent on committing electoral suicide next November, I think Hillary can safely afford to pick a woman as her running-mate, and who better than Hilda Solis to run alongside her? 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

Definately not Vilsack.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »

Xavier Becerra
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

I personally would like to see Tom Vilsack. Clinton needs a safe choice. Someone who won't rock the boat. She may not need a Julian Castro who may cause controversy with his past or skeletons coming out of the closet.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »

What's your problem with Vilsack? He's a safe choice. He does no harm. He has a rags to success story that can inspire working class Americans.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »

From that list I'd be very scared of Wendy Davis, Jay Nixon, Brian Schweitzer or Charlie Crist if I were any of the leading Republican candidates.
Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »

vs. Trump or Carson: Clark
vs. Rubio or Cruz: Heinrich
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »

Hilda Solis:  Decent choice.

Wendy Davis:  Inexperienced loser from Texas who's known mainly for her activism.

Julian Castro:  My opinion of Mr. Castro as a VP is well-known on this forum.

John Hickenlooper:  Reasonable choice, but isn't he disliked in his home state?

Martin O'Malley:  He still hasn't been made to answer for his poor record.

Jay Nixon:  Dreadful, dreadful choice.  Missouri is a disaster and the epicenter of Black Lives Matter trash.  Unless the democrats want BLM to be a central issue of the general election and to lose in a landslide, they shouldn't even think about nominating Nixon.  Also, superficially, Clinton/Nixon doesn't look good on a yard sign...

Brian Schweitzer:  Safe, solid choice.  He offsets a lot of Hillary's weaknesses and has a good folksy charm.

Evan Bayh:  Fox News contributor who's got a lot of corporate ties.  Doesn't look good next to Hillary.

Charlie Crist:  Are you kidding me?  A disgustingly corrupt, self-serving, universally hated former Republican?

Joe Biden:  I wish she would, but he probably doesn't want it and Hillary gains no political bonus by nominating him.

Tom Vilsack:  Perfectly reasonable choice, he would pick up a lot of rural voters, but he's not exactly the future.

Wesley Clark:  He was a flop in 2004 and his big issue was opposition to the Iraq War.  I don't think people have fond memories of this guy, he was very poorly prepared and has weird left-wing conspiracy theory views.

Martin Heinrich:  He's a fun dude, his survivor tv show with Jeff Flake was hilarious, but he doesn't have much of a record and isn't known for anything other than his personality.

Mark Warner:  Excellent choice, so long as the patronage scandal doesn't amount to anything.

Tim Kaine:  The best choice.

Other:  Can we please please please get Howard Dean back?  Next to Obama he's the most competent Democrat since Bill.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »

From that list I'd be very scared of Wendy Davis, Jay Nixon, Brian Schweitzer or Charlie Crist if I were any of the leading Republican candidates.

Why on earth would you be scared of Wendy Davis?  She has no experience, she got demolished in her election, and her only issue is abortion activism, which appeals primarily to women who were going to vote for Clinton anyway.  All she'll do is pull the ticket to the left while opening up a ton of weaknesses.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »

vs. Trump or Carson: Clark
vs. Rubio or Cruz: Heinrich

Heinrich wont be picked due Gov Martinez who will select a GOP to replace him

Vilsack wont excite the Y2K generation

Clark, was a good fit in 2004, only.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »

Joe Biden lmao
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »

Why on earth would you be scared of Wendy Davis?  She has no experience, she got demolished in her election, and her only issue is abortion activism, which appeals primarily to women who were going to vote for Clinton anyway.  All she'll do is pull the ticket to the left while opening up a ton of weaknesses.

An all-woman ticket with a strong focus on women's rights issues will motivate women voters to make history and to protect all the women's movement's hard-won gains, especially contrasted with a misogynist like Trump or a fundamentalist like Carson. And with presidential-year turnout and the Hispanic vote solidly behind the Democrats, she has a great chance of delivering Texas to Hillary, giving her an unbreakable electoral lock.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »

Kaine or Warner. It will be so hard for Republicans to beat her if she wins Virginia.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »

Why on earth would you be scared of Wendy Davis?  She has no experience, she got demolished in her election, and her only issue is abortion activism, which appeals primarily to women who were going to vote for Clinton anyway.  All she'll do is pull the ticket to the left while opening up a ton of weaknesses.

An all-woman ticket with a strong focus on women's rights issues will motivate women voters to make history and to protect all the women's movement's hard-won gains, especially contrasted with a misogynist like Trump or a fundamentalist like Carson. And with presidential-year turnout and the Hispanic vote solidly behind the Democrats, she has a great chance of delivering Texas to Hillary, giving her an unbreakable electoral lock.

No it won't because you're taking the democratic party's bait on "women's issues."  These are really democratic women's issues, and democrats are patronizingly trying to claim all women with them.  American women are, for example, only pro-choice by a 50-41 margin.  These are not "women's issues" and they are only going to repel Republican or Independent women with these positions.  Moderate women who agree with them also don't like being condescendingly told that if you're a woman you must take these positions.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »

Brian Schweitzer would be a great veep if the opponent is Lindsey Graham. For obvious reasons.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »

Other: Cory Booker.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 04:12:01 PM »

No it won't because you're taking the democratic party's bait on "women's issues."  These are really democratic women's issues, and democrats are patronizingly trying to claim all women with them.  American women are, for example, only pro-choice by a 50-41 margin.  These are not "women's issues" and they are only going to repel Republican or Independent women with these positions.  Moderate women who agree with them also don't like being condescendingly told that if you're a woman you must take these positions.

Many women are married to very controlling men who are religious extremists. They are afraid their husband will beat or punish them if he overhears them telling a pollster they value their right to choose. But thanks to the secret ballot they are free to vote their conscience, exactly as the brave women of Colorado and Mississippi have done.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »

associating herself with Nixon would help a great deal I think
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »

Many women are married to very controlling men who are religious extremists. They are afraid their husband will beat or punish them if he overhears them telling a pollster they value their right to choose. But thanks to the secret ballot they are free to vote their conscience, exactly as the brave women of Colorado and Mississippi have done.

That's the most delusional thing I've ever heard.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »

Other: Howard Dean, Gavin Newsom, Eric Garcetti, and Kurt Schrader seem like good Others.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »

Most of these are pretty terrible options.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

Yes! Missouri was a swing state as recently as 2008, and of course Bill Clinton won it twice. Missouri should be a centerpiece of Hillary Clinton's electoral college strategy. Nixon's middle-of-the-road handling of the Ferguson protests could both excite the liberal base and appeal to conservatives nationwide.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »

Yes! Missouri was a swing state as recently as 2008, and of course Bill Clinton won it twice. Missouri should be a centerpiece of Hillary Clinton's electoral college strategy. Nixon's middle-of-the-road handling of the Ferguson protests could both excite the liberal base and appeal to conservatives nationwide.

Missouri is voting GOP next year regardless of whether some sh**tty running mate from Missouri is chosen.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »

Jesus Christ what a disgusting post

It's typical that a man would get defensive when the reality of the patriarchy is laid out on the table. But with President Hillary, VP Wendy Davis and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, women will finally be able to break the highest glass ceiling in the land, safe from any attempts to return the office to men by Christianist or brogressive impeachers or assassins.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »

Missouri is voting GOP next year regardless of whether some sh**tty running mate from Missouri is chosen.

Sadly, Missouri just wasn't ready for a black president. With an all-white Arkansas/Missouri ticket, they're certain to return to the fold.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies