How political ads were in 1952
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:59:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How political ads were in 1952
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How political ads were in 1952  (Read 3121 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4IX5jBc4Q

Things have changed a lot since 1952
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »

That's... Eerily close to an ad I could see Dean putting out if he won the nomination.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:35:54 PM »

And here's why Stevenson lost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxYDTTNYMic
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »

Wow, that's the second-worst political TV spot I've seen after the Chrétien face ad. Criticizing Ike for being a general? Seriously?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »

http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/

This whole site is full of awesome retro and contemporary presidential election ads for your viewing pleasure.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »

The left is way too hard on the 1950s (if all subsequent decades had brought as much economic success as the 1950s we'd be well into the Crystal Spires and Togas period by now) but one area where they have a point was the very dull and somewhat creepy "family-friendly" box that almost all pop culture was forced to fit into. Like the singing political ads.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »

Literally all political ads preceding 1964 were awful.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »

The left is way too hard on the 1950s (if all subsequent decades had brought as much economic success as the 1950s we'd be well into the Crystal Spires and Togas period by now) but one area where they have a point was the very dull and somewhat creepy "family-friendly" box that almost all pop culture was forced to fit into. Like the singing political ads.

To me, that seems to be one of the best aspects of the 1950's, along with a strong respect for traditional religion and the family in all major institutions, including the media.  We just don't see that anymore.  But yeah, I agree the singing political ads go to far.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:11 PM »

Well, it's not like they had much to work with. Sound and video quality on most TVs wasn't great, and it wasn't like there was color or anything to make it visually appealing. Certainly someone from the modern time would not find them appealing.

You don't need color to make things interesting.  You just need to look at things differently.  Certain things that look interesting in color don't in black and white with the reverse also being true.  It's not the tools, but how one uses them that causes interest.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:47:42 PM »

Also remember that television advertising was a brand new medium. They had no past precedent to go by.

Eisenhower's ads were definitely more effective; it helped that he actually appeared in his ads. Sure, they were canned, with him answering the questions from "regular" voters and such, but he connected with voters in a way that Stevenson didn't.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 03:49:48 AM »

Also remember that television advertising was a brand new medium. They had no past precedent to go by.

The 1934 California gubernatorial campaign certainly gave a precedent, tho thankfully one neither candidate made use of in 1952.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »

Oy, no harshing on the Kennedy jingle!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2015, 09:33:56 AM by Del Tachi »

To me, that seems to be one of the best aspects of the 1950's, along with a strong respect for traditional religion and the family in all major institutions, including the media.  We just don't see that anymore.  But yeah, I agree the singing political ads go to far.

The 1950s featured higher rates of juvenile delinquency, premarital sex, and recreational drug use than any previous period of American history.  Additionally, the new pop culture espoused by "rock n' roll" was anything but traditional or family-friendly.  The 1950s was truly revolutionary in every single way imaginable and the Leave it to Beaver aesthetic that the decade is remembered for today is mostly a product of Culture War-era, Republican-inspired historical revisionism. 

On balance, the country was probably much more conservative in the 1970s-1990s than the 1940s-1960s
Hydera

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »

Musical candidate ads were way more popular before than it is now.

But that seems natural since theres more musical genres now than in the past so its hard to show musical ads without some people getting turned off.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »

The 1934 California gubernatorial campaign certainly gave a precedent, tho thankfully one neither candidate made use of in 1952.

True, I forgot about the hatchet job on Upton Sinclair.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »

I liked it personally... Much better than the 30 seconds of white to black attack we see currently.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 10:18:08 PM »

I liked it personally... Much better than the 30 seconds of white to black attack we see currently.

so i did a little bit
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWnsJmBsvHU

Not totally related, seeing as it's from 1960, but as far as I can tell, this is the first Spanish-speaking political ad in a US presidential campaign. Would anyone know?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »

Not totally related, seeing as it's from 1960, but as far as I can tell, this is the first Spanish-speaking political ad in a US presidential campaign. Would anyone know?

Wow pandering to latinos. I guess I forgot Jeb was a JFK campaign strategist then.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »

Wow pandering to latinos. I guess I forgot Jeb was a JFK campaign strategist then.

Well, JFK wanted TX and CA.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »

Well, JFK wanted TX and CA.

Mark Halperin knows the truth that CA is extremely competitive for Jeb. Jeb = JFK
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »

That is really surprising, considering how tiny the Hispanic vote in the US was back then. I guess TX and CA would have had a higher Hispanic population than the national average though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies