Opinion of people with Front National banners in their signatures
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of people with Front National banners in their signatures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of people with Front National banners in their signatures
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Opinion of people with Front National banners in their signatures  (Read 3086 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »

No, I don't think the world is quite ready for hispter SJW Salafism, BRtD.

Salafism of course not, but Islam in general? Well actually that's kind of already been done: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=214095.0

And why would it be odd for a bunch of young, progressive "alternative" or "indie" people in a place like Istanbul to start some cool, progressive and completely different type of mosque? That's basically how your typical emergent church startup comes around.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 12:02:46 AM »

Misguided. Worse, though, in my opinion are the repeated claims that the Paris incidents and countless others "have nothing to do with Islam".

why? the attacks (and daesh in general) are anti-islamic.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ugh, the KJV-equivalent of a Koran translation. Does the Koran have an equivalent of The Message translation?

I used to hate The Message just because it's godawfully hideous to read. Then I was comparing translations of a particular passage (Amos 5.18-20) and found that The Message changes what literally every other English translation has as a snakebite to rape, apparently solely for shock value. Now I hate The Message so much more.

Hmmm I can see your point, but remember one intent of The Message was to "modernize" it and update dated idioms and the like, this strikes me as such an example instead of just for shock value, updating the concern to something far more likely in modern times than a snakebite. For example how Romans 14:6 is "What’s important in all this is that if you keep a holy day, keep it for God’s sake; if you eat meat, eat it to the glory of God and thank God for prime rib; if you’re a vegetarian, eat vegetables to the glory of God and thank God for broccoli.", yeah I'm pretty sure "prime rib" wasn't a phrase Paul would use. Or Romans 14:18 just further down " Your task is to single-mindedly serve Christ. Do that and you’ll kill two birds with one stone: pleasing the God above you and proving your worth to the people around you.", I'm pretty sure "kill two birds with one stone" is an exclusively English idiom.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »

Should be banned, but I understand the moderation staff here has no problem with turning this place into Stormfront 2.0.

This place is very far from Stormfront from what little I remember of that place when I stumbled upon it.  I remember there was something about "swasticka flavor infused honey" and someone complaining about how Aryanwear's nazi boots were out of stock.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 12:20:01 AM by Alex 🐺🎴🌀 »

No, although  it seems most European  languages prefer to kill flies
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 08:56:38 AM by Simfan34 »

Misguided. Worse, though, in my opinion are the repeated claims that the Paris incidents and countless others "have nothing to do with Islam".

why? the attacks (and daesh in general) are anti-islamic.

Ugh, the KJV-equivalent of a Koran translation. Does the Koran have an equivalent of The Message translation?

"You're ablaze in beauty?" This sounds like someone during sex, not the Bible. This is terrible and the person who came up with it should be hit with it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »

It's VERY IMPORTANT that religious texts remain written so that no more than 5% of the population can actually understand them, of course.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »

It's VERY IMPORTANT that religious texts remain written so that no more than 5% of the population can actually understand them, of course.

The NKJV is generally not very hard to understand.  Even the old KJV isn't that difficult.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »

Hmmm I can see your point, but remember one intent of The Message was to "modernize" it and update dated idioms and the like, this strikes me as such an example instead of just for shock value, updating the concern to something far more likely in modern times than a snakebite.

And yet it keeps the bear attack part.

False dichotomy.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »

Its not like the Lords Prayer is particularly hard to understand in the way that it originally was translated: its something I'm sure we did at School Assembles (thanks to mandatory collective worship in schools, which I can't believe still exists) and most people understood the gist of it at least.  There is the whole Anglican/Presbyterian differences thing which confused me when I went to an uncles wedding in England when I was a kid, but that's not an important thing most of the time

does it still have the talking donkey?  That's my favourite part of the Bible, and I haven't a clue why I know that it exists because its not a bit that lots of people talk about a great deal.

Numbers 22:something, I think.  I probably could check myself, but I can't be arsed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 05:36:11 PM by 秋と修羅 »

Balaam's ass is part of the story rather than a figure of speech so yes, The Message leaves it well enough alone.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »

I looked it up, it doesn't contain the word "ass" at all!  Therefore its a bad translation that should never be used imo

Just remembered where I learned that this existed: I used to volunteer and go to a local youth centre (it was tenuously linked to the local Baptist Church but got a majority of its funding from elsewhere: and it weirdly turned into a place that gave young disadvantaged predominantly LGBT youth a safe place to hang out which is odd when you look at how terrible the Baptist Church are at things like that: it closed a few years ago sadly when both the Church and the Council decided to slash its funding and they couldn't afford to pay their staff anymore, I've never quite forgiven either of them for it), a fair few of the staff were Christians (obviously) and we had a nice chat about faith and related stuff, which somehow led to "there's a talking donkey in the Bible!"  I know that's an incredibly boring story, but what the hell.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

I think this is a bit relevant to the conversation.  Just because someone doesn't like The Message does not imply that they must be a KJV-onlyist.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies