College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:22:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 53808 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2015, 12:04:12 AM by France is still terrible »

I wanted to post this somewhere, but it is completely separate from the college protests, and since I get infuriated by what pops up on my Facebook feed so easily, I will share all the most ridiculous movements here.

To start us off, we have who else but Amherst!! They want to change their mascot from their school's namesake! Makes you wonder why they are so intolerant to attend a school named after a man like Jeffrey Amherst

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://acvoice.com/2015/11/16/lets-remove-the-lord-jeff/#comments
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »

You'd think that the fact that Amherst's women's teams are called the Lady Jeffs would strike people as quirky and charming.

In general, I wasn't aware people felt the need to 'identify with' a ing college sports mascot.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »

As a college student, I'm happy to be frustrating people like you.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:43:56 PM »

Should clarify that there are plenty of good reasons to be concerned about having a mascot that draws extra attention to the fact that your school is (and is in a town) named after Jeffrey Amherst, but that particular quote is ridiculous.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2015, 11:48:43 PM by France is still terrible »

As a college student, I'm ashamed that you too will be considered well-educated.

Should clarify that there are plenty of good reasons to be concerned about having a mascot that draws extra attention to the fact that your school is (and is in a town) named after Jeffrey Amherst, but that particular quote is ridiculous.

I actually agree with some of the reasons too, many put forth in that link, but the reasoning skills put forth in the bold were concerning to me. I find it similarly ridiculous that a mascot one chose to represent them in making their college decision is enough to cause severe suffering.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:29 PM »

It's better in certain parts of the country fortunately.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:54 AM »

As a college student, I'm ashamed that you too will be considered well-educated.

Implying a bachelors degree makes someone "well-educated"
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »

I don't have to take that from a Kasich fan. Get your higher educational privilege out of my space-space. I never even said it had to be a Bachelor's so now you're just being offensive. Technical Schools matter too.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 12:32:01 AM by realisticidealist »

I don't have to take that from a Kasich fan. Get your higher educational privilege out of my space-space. I never even said it had to be a Bachelor's so now you're just being offensive.

Of course we're talking about bachelors degrees. Only undergrads have time to care about mascot namesakes. Stop appropriating grad student culture and check your leading-candidate privilege.

Oh, sorry Senator Rubio. Didn't realize posting here is what you did instead of attending Senate sessions.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 12:43:55 AM »

I wanted to post this somewhere, but it is completely separate from the college protests, and since I get infuriated by what pops up on my Facebook feed so easily, I will share all the most ridiculous movements here.
So, you're saying that you want a safe space?

I am getting sick and tired of these protestors attempting to call people racist and say that things literally hurt them. I think that someone who gets in to an Ivy League due to affirmative action is pretty damn privileged.

Martin Luther King, Jr. is probably rolling in his grave. All he wanted was for people of all races to get along and now, after that had been going decently (not perfectly, admittedly), people of color (that really doesn't seem that different from "colored people") are calling random white bystanders racists pieces of [Inks]. Does that really persuade people to support the BLM movement?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »

And I should clarify that my post was directed at Smilo, not you.

I should also clarify that that quote was indeed ridiculous; it's just that the fact that many Republicans and right-wingers seem to be upset by anything remotely good done by left-leaning college students makes me really satisfied that we must be doing something right.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »

Things have actually remained remarkably calm here, so far.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »

I would support changing the name and mascot of Amherst University because Amherst was a bad dude.

People claiming it is causing them pain though are stupid as hell.

Yes, I'm tone policing. Tone policing is good. If you want to actually get things changed, you need to have a tone that isn't ridiculous.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Sure, go ahead, change the mascot.  I don't care about mascots, so whatever.

My problem with this movement isn't that they want to change mascots/college names/whatever, its that they attempt to censor people who disagree with them, or anything someone considers offensive.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »

You know how orGanisations like PETA explicitly base their organisations at being obnoxious and stuntish? Yeah, I think these students are playing a similar game.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »

If you're in severe emotional distress because your liberal arts college has a dumb name for its mascot, ask your doctor if Paxil is right for you.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »

I find this thread incredibly triggering. I'm physically ill from reading it, that's how much of a violent emotional assault it was. I'm reporting you to the government for harming me, much like the student at UMich in the link below.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25047/

"Yet many students declared the fake Berlin Wall offensive and an example of privilege – and at least one student told organizers – Young Americans for Freedom – that the display should be reported as a “bias incident.”

Another student even pulled out his phone and reportedly called administrators to lodge an official bias complaint."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »

You'd think that the fact that Amherst's women's teams are called the Lady Jeffs would strike people as quirky and charming.

In general, I wasn't aware people felt the need to 'identify with' a ing college sports mascot.

The realization that not everyone is the same as oneself might cause some distress. The thing is most people realize that when they're 2, not 20.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »

If you're in severe emotional distress because your liberal arts college has a dumb name for its mascot, ask your doctor if Paxil is right for you.

As a UMass Amherst alumna and frequent visitor of Amherst College's art museum and library, I ask that you check your non-Five Colleges privilege.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »

I find this thread incredibly triggering. I'm physically ill from reading it, that's how much of a violent emotional assault it was. I'm reporting you to the government for harming me, much like the student at UMich in the link below.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25047/

"Yet many students declared the fake Berlin Wall offensive and an example of privilege – and at least one student told organizers – Young Americans for Freedom – that the display should be reported as a “bias incident.”

Another student even pulled out his phone and reportedly called administrators to lodge an official bias complaint."

Huh--

Isn't "political correctness" an unambiguous term of abuse?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »

The Social Justice Warrior movement remains one of the most fascinatingly idiotic movements of today's college campuses. They extend legitimate principles of beliefs against discrimination into the absurd. The mascot example, being careful about fee fees, and so on - all of these are ridiculous extremes of the SJW movement.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »

You know how orGanisations like PETA explicitly base their organisations at being obnoxious and stuntish? Yeah, I think these students are playing a similar game.

But that just backfired and PETA is widely considered a joke.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

It's only a failure if you think improving the lives of animals is the main goal, if you instead think that raising money to PETA is the main goal, it have been a great success.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 07:00:38 PM by France is still terrible »

BREAKING: The disease has spread to the most unexpected of places - Princeton University

That last bold may or may not be bad. It's so general that I can't even tell, but I can only expect the worst. The class is the type of thing that would make me not attend a particular school, and I despise WW like any normal Atlas poster, but COME ON! Surely they know it would be a terrible decision to rename the most renowned IR school in America - ruin the brand!

Also, I don't even know what this statement is getting at:
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/11/seen_and_heard_princeton_univ_students_of_color_sp.html#incart_target2box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

President Eisgruber thankfully is one of the good and competent university leaders as he refused to sign the list of demands after carefully meeting and listening to what the group wanted.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 07:01:32 PM »

You would be surprised tbh. I'm not a huge fan, but when they want something done it's normally done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies