College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:14:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 53996 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »

The forces of reaction have been successful at portraying legitimate concerns raised by students of color as "SJW victimhood" drivel or whatever. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of students who've participated in these protesters do not support censorship or whatever. The problem with these protests is that they're based on horizontal organizing structures, where everyone's voice is legitimized/attached to "Black Lives Matter" and the like, which leads inane claims made by idiots to be taken as a voice of a protest or movement.

This backlash was bound to happen, white America is tired of the petulant demands of people of color, but it has been truly appalling witnessing well-intentioned students get excoriated for views that they do not hold because they lack discipline and organizing experience. It's been doubly appalling reading articles written by liberals who have bought into conservative messaging on these protests.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »

The forces of reaction have been successful at portraying legitimate concerns raised by students of color as "SJW victimhood" drivel or whatever. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of students who've participated in these protesters do not support censorship or whatever. The problem with these protests is that they're based on horizontal organizing structures, where everyone's voice is legitimized/attached to "Black Lives Matter" and the like, which leads inane claims made by idiots to be taken as a voice of a protest or movement.

This backlash was bound to happen, white America is tired of the petulant demands of people of color, but it has been truly appalling witnessing well-intentioned students get excoriated for views that they do not hold because they lack discipline and organizing experience. It's been doubly appalling reading articles written by liberals who have bought into conservative messaging on these protests.
You have it backwards.  Black Lives Matter has legitimate grievances about the discrimination of African Americans by police.  Unfortunately, some of them have decided the best way to make progress is to make as many people as possible angry at them.  I agree with their goals, but their tactics are counterproductive.

The college protests are a mixed bag.  Its a shame the equivalent of temper tantrum being thrown at Yale is being used the discredit the Missouri protests. 

The fact that these people are making millennial liberals look bad is part of why I'm so frustrated with them.  Every time I bring up a social issue from now on, I'm going to have to defend myself 'No, of course I don't want to silence protesters who disagree with me.'  'No, I'm not about to accuse you of harassment/racism/sexism/whatever just because you disagree with me on this.' 'No, I don't believe that universities should control what their students wear for Halloween'.  Its going to be exhausting.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 12:47:07 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2015, 12:48:52 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

You have it backwards.  Black Lives Matter has legitimate grievances about the discrimination of African Americans by police.  Unfortunately, some of them have decided the best way to make progress is to make as many people as possible angry at them.  I agree with their goals, but their tactics are counterproductive.

The college protests are a mixed bag.  Its a shame the equivalent of temper tantrum being thrown at Yale is being used the discredit the Missouri protests.  

The fact that these people are making millennial liberals look bad is part of why I'm so frustrated with them.  Every time I bring up a social issue from now on, I'm going to have to defend myself 'No, of course I don't want to silence protesters who disagree with me.'  'No, I'm not about to accuse you of harassment/racism/sexism/whatever just because you disagree with me on this.' 'No, I don't believe that universities should control what their students wear for Halloween'.  Its going to be exhausting.

It's hard to discuss BLM's goals because it is not an organization, it is a sprawling constellation of groups that have affixed the name to their various causes and most of these groups don't appear to be very disciplined or consistent. As a result, some of the statements of allies/members of BLM are very objectionable. Although most supporters wouldn't agree or support these statements, reactionaries and the mainstream conservative media has an abiding interest to discredit these nascent movements, so they use isolated incidents against the movement as a whole.

I don't think Yale was a temper-tantrum. The context that inspired the protests was pretty objectionable. In general, elite universities are contradictory institutions that promote the simultaneously promote the notion of racial equality/meritocracy and represent/embody the monied elite. There are a lot of grievances at these kinds of universities that ought to be addressed; selective schools are prone to tokenizing students of color while maintaining an elitist tradition.

While I don't agree with the demands of the protesters, I think the subtext of the message is quite clear: non-white millennials feel ignored by institutions that have remained overwhelmingly white. There's a lack of recognition for the tremendous racial/ethnic gulf that separates millennials from previous generations and it seems that various institutions, whether private or public, have done a poor job of accommodating difference. "

Note: Accommodating" does not imply special treatment, it implies fair treatment that acknowledges that ingrained cultural traditions and organizational practices oftentimes do a disservice to those who are from different backgrounds and that some acculturation is required for organizations or institutions to integrate minorities in a fair manner.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2015, 01:42:35 PM by France is still terrible »

TOWSON UNIVERSITY INTERIM PRESIDENT HAS CAVED.

They deserved to be kicked out of the Colonial now before this disease spreads. Has America not learned yet that Zero Tolerance policies are NEVER the answer for ANYTHING. Disgusting. Expulsion for using language after so much money has been spent on the education is unacceptable. The worst part is "discontinuation of the Towson debate team". I literally did not know demands could get that ugly.

I also have very, very strong doubts that college professors are using racial epithets towards students in the classroom unless they are talking about trigger warnings for books or more absurd microagressions.

My only hope is the man signed it since he doesn't expect to stay as interim President for long and has no intent of accomplishing this.

Edit: I will add that an unacceptable bias incident did occur at Harvard, and it came with an acceptable response with non-stupid writing. Thank you intelligent law students.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »

I was walking down legacy walk at FSU yesterday and was acosted by radical Maoist members of the Trans Liberation Front who described Students for a Democratic Society as a "rape cult."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »

Should clarify that there are plenty of good reasons to be concerned about having a mascot that draws extra attention to the fact that your school is (and is in a town) named after Jeffrey Amherst, but that particular quote is ridiculous.

And I should clarify that my post was directed at Smilo, not you.

I should also clarify that that quote was indeed ridiculous; it's just that the fact that many Republicans and right-wingers seem to be upset by anything remotely good done by left-leaning college students makes me really satisfied that we must be doing something right.
"We." You're barely older than Classic Conservative and Dar from what I can tell.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »

Should clarify that there are plenty of good reasons to be concerned about having a mascot that draws extra attention to the fact that your school is (and is in a town) named after Jeffrey Amherst, but that particular quote is ridiculous.

And I should clarify that my post was directed at Smilo, not you.

I should also clarify that that quote was indeed ridiculous; it's just that the fact that many Republicans and right-wingers seem to be upset by anything remotely good done by left-leaning college students makes me really satisfied that we must be doing something right.
"We." You're barely older than Classic Conservative and Dar from what I can tell.

I'm older than you.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 05:16:32 PM »

I've seen some videos where these students come across as thickheaded and stupid. Don't know if that's the case everywhere, but some of these people calling for censorship is just unreal. Freedom of speech doesn't apply only to you, you know?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »

I've seen some videos where these students come across as thickheaded and stupid. Don't know if that's the case everywhere, but some of these people calling for censorship is just unreal. Freedom of speech doesn't apply only to you, you know?

I feel as though there is a big gap between what both sides are arguing about. Most of the censorship complaints are about:

Restraint on reporters/outsiders accessing
Coercion against expressing non-racist speech (such as the definition of racism and privilege)
Coercion to participate in speech
Requests to prohibit signs about free-speech from rallies
Off-campus dress codes
Racial segregation

All of the defenses I've seen have conflated the above free speech points into:

Poop swastikas and racial slurs are indefensible

I don't see why either side would disagree with the other's. They aren't mutually exclusive.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2015, 07:20:31 AM »

Reporters barred from Smith College sit-in held in solidarity with University of Missouri students unless they support movement

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hydera

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »

So when media attention dies down are they going to blame the media for "refusing to cover their protest" ?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »

Well, I'd extend this to "ACADEMIA" and showcase this:

https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/

I think that's generally been talked about before, but what non-issue, senseless, empty, impractical rubbish. If anyone actually approached me seriously with that, I doubt that I could take them seriously thereafter. It'd be like if a religious nutball approached me about doomsday or dual lights or the ninth revelation or something.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »

I find it hilarious that that page is trans[whatever]-friendly enough to not only list pronoun sets like 'per' but put them above 'she', but not trans[whatever]-friendly enough to avoid the term 'opposite gender'. Hapless tryhards.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »

I'd be more willing to criticize the "SJW" movement if it didn't mean siding with a bunch of racists.

For every one legitimate complaint about being overly PC, there are 20 angry white kids who think concepts like not calling gay people fags, not using the N-word, not dressing up in black face, not using misogynist terms, etc. are stupid.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »

Protesters at Princeton are demanding "Affinity Housing" ie voluntary re-segregation. Called this.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »

Protesters at Princeton are demanding "Affinity Housing" ie voluntary re-segregation. Called this.

That is disgusting.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »

Legally, of course, it would be illegal to have housing that was only available to Black people. So what they're proposing is housing just for "people who are interested in Black culture". I wonder how that will work in practice though, given how they no doubt feel about "cultural appropriation".
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

That is disgusting.

Who needs Jim Crow laws when they want to do it themselves?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »

What a disgusting slap in the face to the entire civil rights movement.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »

That is disgusting.

Who needs Jim Crow laws when they want to do it themselves?

I'm sure they're making both Farrakhan and David Duke very happy. This is exactly what their ilk wants, resegregation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »

I'd be more willing to criticize the "SJW" movement if it didn't mean siding with a bunch of racists.

For every one legitimate complaint about being overly PC, there are 20 angry white kids who think concepts like not calling gay people fags, not using the N-word, not dressing up in black face, not using misogynist terms, etc. are stupid.

This. Particularly on college campuses where everything is polarised. For the same reasons Christian groups on campus are usually nutters, leftists think they are Marxists and so on. College does not equal the rest of the country.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »

Well that's just funny!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »

This. Particularly on college campuses where everything is polarised. For the same reasons Christian groups on campus are usually nutters, leftists think they are Marxists and so on. College does not equal the rest of the country.

Well, that doesn't seem to be very accurate. What schools are you talking about with nutty Christians? Liberty and Bob Jones? Even their student bodies don't reflect the extreme school values. Most College Republicans are your young businessman type (and I suppose many in Greek Life?). I don't know where you're getting this idea of Christians doing anything on campuses.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

Well, that doesn't seem to be very accurate. What schools are you talking about with nutty Christians? Liberty and Bob Jones? Even their student bodies don't reflect the extreme school values. Most College Republicans are your young businessman type (and I suppose many in Greek Life?). I don't know where you're getting this idea of Christians doing anything on campuses.

College also does not equal the USA Cheesy
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »

College also does not equal the USA Cheesy

Haha, ok, I gotcha now
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies