College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:07:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54056 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2015, 11:55:54 AM »

I'd be more willing to criticize the "SJW" movement if it didn't mean siding with a bunch of racists.

For every one legitimate complaint about being overly PC, there are 20 angry white kids who think concepts like not calling gay people fags, not using the N-word, not dressing up in black face, not using misogynist terms, etc. are stupid.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »

I'd be more willing to criticize the "SJW" movement if it didn't mean siding with a bunch of racists.

For every one legitimate complaint about being overly PC, there are 20 angry white kids who think concepts like not calling gay people fags, not using the N-word, not dressing up in black face, not using misogynist terms, etc. are stupid.

That's part of the problem. Reasonable people refuse to speak up and then the only people talking are extremists and trolls.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »

The "SJW" movement is so positively outlandish that I don't think criticizing it naturally aligns you to anyone.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2015, 05:38:37 PM »

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »

The "SJW" movement is so positively outlandish that I don't think criticizing it naturally aligns you to anyone.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »

Canada has it worse than the US, especially in Toronto and Ottawa:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 06:42:10 PM »

That's part of the problem. Reasonable people refuse to speak up and then the only people talking are extremists and trolls.

Reasonable people see this whole debate and say "I don't want any part in that" and move on with their lives.
Zache

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »

I find it hilarious how much support the Princeton protesters are getting from right-wing commentators.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2015, 02:49:49 PM by realisticidealist »

Idiocy comes to Washington: Western Washington University cancels classes due to online hate speech spurred by protests over Viking mascot.

I've never heard of Yik Yak.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »

Yeah, I don't really get this attitude either. It just strikes me as profoundly intellectually lazy. We're not soldiers in trenches here. This isn't a video game or something. Disagreeing with one thing doesn't mean you're automatically taking someone else's side. This is a classic example of a false dichotomy. If someone perceives you as an MRA or a racism-enabler or something because you point out examples of them stepping over the line or using demonstrably bad logic then they're simple-minded, to put it charitably.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

So... a Native American mascot is racist and/or cultural appropriation, but at the same time, a European one is backwards thinking.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »

Yeah, I don't really get this attitude either. It just strikes me as profoundly intellectually lazy. We're not soldiers in trenches here. This isn't a video game or something. Disagreeing with one thing doesn't mean you're automatically taking someone else's side. This is a classic example of a false dichotomy. If someone perceives you as an MRA or a racism-enabler or something because you point out examples of them stepping over the line or using demonstrably bad logic then they're simple-minded, to put it charitably.

Standing ovation. Very well said.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »

GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY ALLOWS FLAGS TO FLY FROM DORM ROOMS — UNLESS THEY’RE PALESTINIAN
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »

This is what happens once we start censoring some speech; other speech always follows. 
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »

I'm not sure why this post belong in this thread, I think it's a legitimate complaint, we can disagree or agree about Palestinian nationhood, but it's a little weird that Palestinian flags are singled out.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »

Yeah, are you implying college liberals hate Palestine? Because that's certainly not true.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »

Well this is ridiculously infuriating

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

You forgot the best quote, Al. Courtesy of retromike22

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »

Things might get particularly nasty if the Supreme Court strikes down race-based affirmative action, which it seems they're leaning toward doing.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

the issue is a bit more complex than that since plenty of mra types criticize feminism from an *egalitarian* and/or liberal stand point. i have my issues with them but its sort of bizarre seeing the caricature that has emerged of them
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »

Things might get particularly nasty if the Supreme Court strikes down race-based affirmative action, which it seems they're leaning toward doing.

I hope it does get ugly. Scalia's arguments in particular, that black students would be better off going to worse colleges, SHOULD inspire outrage.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »

I'm not sure why this post belong in this thread, I think it's a legitimate complaint, we can disagree or agree about Palestinian nationhood, but it's a little weird that Palestinian flags are singled out.
I agree with Palestinian statehood (they should have it), and they would have it if their leaders would stop being c**nts.  No flag should be singled out.  If it's legal to hang flags from dorm rooms (and it should be) then no flag should be banned.
Yeah, are you implying college liberals hate Palestine? Because that's certainly not true.
Of course many college liberals love Palestine, they're perceived as victims right?  Many of these same people have been pressuring the admins to deny free speech to people they find offensive.  It bit them in the ass.  It's funny, makes fun of the right people and is applicable to this thread.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »

I can't wait.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »

I hope it does get ugly. Scalia's arguments in particular, that black students would be better off going to worse colleges, SHOULD inspire outrage.

I'm against affirmative action, but Scalia's comments were disgusting.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »

Meanwhile at the Citadel...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/citadel-investigating-cadets-white-hoods-incident/story?id=35697005

I think the take home message from all this is teenage white male suburban kids being rubbed the wrong way by one thing or another is the real crime and most important thing to talk about.  Can't wait for the Atlas diaper squad to grow up, get jobs, and see what the real world is like.

Seriously?  Someone at Yale suggests (to people who should know better) that blackface isn't a good Halloween costume and people come unglued?  Makes you wonder how unhinged these people would get if something really bad actually happened to them and their people... like, ya know, slavery.

Look, children you shouldn't wear blackface.  More importantly you shouldn't have to be told not to wear blackface.  Even more importantly you shouldn't be going to YALE of all places and need to be told not to wear blackface.  At no decent company in the civilized world is this even a discussion.  If you plan on going to medical school, law school, working on Wall St, working in government etc after your Yale years you will not get hired if there are pictures of you in blackface floating around on the internet.  If you cannot understand this take SCOTUS extraordinaire Scalia's advice and please drop out of Yale and go to a less academically rigorous school where you will be more successful.

My God.  The discussions on this forum.  Seriously is everyone posting here really 15 and never had a job?!  People in big people world with careers on the line do not have these conversations.  This is seriously dumb sh-t no one with half a brain would do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies