College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54048 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2016, 01:08:51 AM »
« edited: February 06, 2016, 01:10:25 AM by MW Representative RFayette »

I'm actually with Green Line in part here. Most of the degrees you listed do make it a bit tougher, but coming out of good schools, they are given a good degree of consideration still for many decent jobs. If you do well in a good place, it displays competence, but you have to be extremely socially intelligent at the same time, even more so than people of the marketable majors, which makes it tougher. (Speaking more towards psychology and polisci who I do see in good positions though I know it's certainly not the majority of their graduates).

Interestingly, one of the people I met at App Developer Club (one of the CS clubs at my university), a product manager at Facebook, was a polisci/sociology major who had only taken 2 CS classes during his time at college.  He was a very dynamic speaker (and I'm sure his social intelligence carried him quite a bit) however, which undoubtedly carries significant weight. 

Foucaulf
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:48 AM »

Sales/sycophancy can be learned regardless of major.

Anyways, I think it's not as interesting to consider which majors are "non-marketable" as much as why some majors are persistently marketable. Why isn't anyone talking about the unemployed business majors and MBAs?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »

youtubes of campus security at Texas explaining why he wrote someone a citation for offending someone else

His department later apologized and voided the citation, still, who narcs to the cops 'cause they're offended?  What kind of cop thinks being offensive is a crime?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »

Was just wondering today, why in the face of the Great Recession, the American education system was able to survive, even though it it's been obvious in the almost 8 years since, that college degrees, and liberal arts degrees in particular, are less than worthless in their current form.

Why do people young people still sign up to get BAs in psychology, anthropology, sociology, political science, and gender studies when 1) they know it won't get them a job 2) they can find more in depth information about these subjects online for free?

It doesn't seem a coincidence that the moment when schools could no longer lie about making their students money was the same moment schools decided to push hard the idea that their students were collectively possessed by a demon called privilege and the only way to exorcise it is to "get educated"/pay a school lots of money.

Political Science major checking in: can confirm I have a job next year.

The overall point is well taken though. The for profit industry should have seen a decline in applications, not a record increase given peoples inability to pay for the absurdly high fees they charge for nonsense degrees.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »

Also in regards to major choice, one of the VPs at Morgan Stanley is an alumni from my school and graduated with a major in Romantic Poetry (which unfortunately no longer exists).
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »

It matters 0% what major you have for most jobs. None of the people in my office have business or finance degrees - I myself have a history degree. Employers care more about if you can learn what the job entails to do your job for them. My wife's psych degree had nothing to do with the position she had before going back to school for her masters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »

A little international flavor.....

Goldsmiths Uni of London's Atheist society invites an ex-Muslim to speak.  The usual suspects that hate free speech bitch.  She comes to speak anyway.  The anti-liberty brigade attempts the always popular heckler's veto, fail at it, then cry racism.  The useful idiots that make up modern feminism and LGBT activists defend the women hating scum for reasons I still don't really understand, but that would probably need it's own thread.

The school didn't want the video getting out, it did.  So they had to do something, some kind of punishment right?  You can't threaten people, you can't shout down invited speakers, you can't create a threatening environment at a liberal arts university in 2016 right?  The school's response:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Seems they care a lot more about limiting who will be speaking in the future than it does punishing the freedom hating ass clowns (that remember, tried to lie about the incident and had the school blocked the video like they tried, the lie would have been "the official story" no doubt).

Of course this is the same place that thinks remembering the Holocaust is Euro-centric and thinks it's ok to ban people from events because of their sex and race.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/431617/brown-university-students-social-justice-schoolwork

So apparently homework and studying for your field is NOT what college is for. Tongue I must be a horrible student, since I actually enjoy reading and writing about history and philosophy rather than being a professional campaigner.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/431617/brown-university-students-social-justice-schoolwork

So apparently homework and studying for your field is NOT what college is for. Tongue I must be a horrible student, since I actually enjoy reading and writing about history and philosophy rather than being a professional campaigner.

Very cheap style of rhetoric. I would've preferred an actual news story or something. Note sure is a writer for the National Review Online. Can't take it seriously. I have no doubt it's true, but I'd rather a rigorous examination of just how pathetic these people are rather than someone bitching about others bitching.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2016, 06:51:17 AM »

A group at Cal State-LA is hosting an event called  “When Diversity Becomes a Problem" was going to be about the left and it's hatred of free speech.  You know where this is going.  After an Assistant Prof threatened to beat up anybody that was for the event, the Dean canceled the event because there wasn't someone from the other side there to debate the invited guest.  Nevermind that the day before this event the Uni has a lecture by Angela Davis and Tim Wise, the subject? “the U.S.’s uncritical embrace of individualism, myth of meritocracy, unchallenged white supremacy, and entrenched institutional inequity in our society,”.  Do you think they are going to have someone on the other side to debate?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »

A group at Cal State-LA is hosting an event called  “When Diversity Becomes a Problem" was going to be about the left and it's hatred of free speech.  You know where this is going.  After an Assistant Prof threatened to beat up anybody that was for the event, the Dean canceled the event because there wasn't someone from the other side there to debate the invited guest.  Nevermind that the day before this event the Uni has a lecture by Angela Davis and Tim Wise, the subject? “the U.S.’s uncritical embrace of individualism, myth of meritocracy, unchallenged white supremacy, and entrenched institutional inequity in our society,”.  Do you think they are going to have someone on the other side to debate?

They should get Melissa Click. Seriously though, what a bunch of babies.
Craziaskowboi
Rookie

« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »

Why do those assholes even bother going to college? They already know everything anyway.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2016, 12:15:38 AM »

Reminder: these are the people who Bernie Sanders wants you to pay for to go to college.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »

Was just wondering today, why in the face of the Great Recession, the American education system was able to survive, even though it it's been obvious in the almost 8 years since, that college degrees, and liberal arts degrees in particular, are less than worthless in their current form.

Why do people young people still sign up to get BAs in psychology, anthropology, sociology, political science, and gender studies when 1) they know it won't get them a job 2) they can find more in depth information about these subjects online for free?

It doesn't seem a coincidence that the moment when schools could no longer lie about making their students money was the same moment schools decided to push hard the idea that their students were collectively possessed by a demon called privilege and the only way to exorcise it is to "get educated"/pay a school lots of money.

I'll be sure to let my fellow Political Science majors know that they don't actually have jobs (or job offers) since their degree precludes it. Sure, the school may help, as may the popularity of the joint Economics-Political Science major program I'm in, as well as the (possibly) more quantitative nature of our Political Science major program in general, but to equate it with gender studies is over-the-top.

While I can definitely see how some course programs (especially those oriented towards American politics) can end up being largely critical theory-based and not particularly dissimilar to an Africasn-American/Latino/Women's/Gender Studies major, a more typical program is sufficiently similar to the apparent "super-major" of Economics that it'd be illogical to expect a completely different outcome.

Ultimately, I think someone who would find a job with an Economics major would be likely to find a job had they majored in Political Science, and vice versa. This largely applies to most of the other majors you mention-- and this ignores the fact that, to a large degree, these are the most popular majors for people who intend to go on to law school-- although you forgot to mention philosophy. Wink Almost all of the sociology, philosophy, and history majors I know plan on going to law school.

According to this list, the most common majors amongst LSAT takers in 2008, excluding "pre-professional majors" were:

1. Political Science
2. English
3. History
4. "Liberal Arts"
5. Journalism
6. Sociology/Social Work (shouldn't really be lumped together)
7. Economics
8. Philosophy/Theology
9. Finance
10. Engineering

This also brings up the question of "pre-professional majors". They, and not the abstract liberal arts programs, are many times associated with the poorest employment/income options. A B.S. from Wharton in Business is one thing, a major in Business Management from Podunk State U. is another. If you look at that list of LSAT takers again, you'll see that Pre-Law majors, in fact, have the second-lowest scores of any group, above only Criminal Justice. All ten of the lowest-scoring majors, in fact, are pre-professional majors (if we disregard Sociology). We see a similar pattern looking at GMAT scores and GRE scores.

It should be clear by now, then, that "major in something practical" does not constitute particularly comprehensive advice. As for STEM, I have only this to say-- we cannot all be engineers.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »

High School this time....
Kid steals teacher's phone when she is out of the classroom doing teacher stuff.  Kid goes through files on phone.  Kids finds semi-naughty pics of teacher.  Kid forwards picture around school.  Teacher gets fired and may face charges?  Yep.  Kid gets in no trouble?  Yep.

In NYC you can't fire a teacher for anything, in South Carolina they get fired if their phone gets stolen.

oh, and they may press charges against her
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »

the most shocking thing about this thread is that people not in college care about student politics.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:47 PM »

k
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2016, 01:02:25 AM »

the most shocking thing about this thread is that people not in college care about student politics.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2016, 01:06:38 AM »

Um most college students don't care about politics let alone student politics. Besides education and their actual ing future, I'm sure most students are more concerned with friends and getting laid than random crap.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:06 AM »

Obviously I am in college so no need to defend myself, but these people get a vote!! That highly concerns me. And they're sooooo stupid. I don't think I can ever get over these arrogant losers but hopefully one day. I guess they'll change?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2016, 12:27:21 AM »

link - WaPo
Somebody threw a tequila party, tiny sombreros were worn.  Clearly that's a huge violation of somebody's civil rights so heads need to roll.  Administrators at colleges are little babies, afraid of perpetual victims.  My favorite part.

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2016, 03:20:50 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2016, 03:22:50 AM by SteveMcQueen »

link - WaPo
Somebody threw a tequila party, tiny sombreros were worn.  Clearly that's a huge violation of somebody's civil rights so heads need to roll.  Administrators at colleges are little babies, afraid of perpetual victims.  My favorite part.

That Cold War party actually sounds really fun.  Do they get to do those great Russian dances?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfx0OcammHU

Tequila party + sombreros/moustaches is as much of a college staple as togas
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2016, 06:07:53 AM »

Togas are a tool of the white man, your use of it as example of college life has triggered me, I need a safe space.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »

I'm not in France but I like to read about French politics. Mmmkay.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »

I'm not in France but I like to read about French politics. Mmmkay.

France politics have an effect on France and Europe.
Student politics don't even have an effect on most students.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies