College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:12:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54002 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »

I loved how being an atheist made you under-privileged compared to someone who went to church every week on that quiz. Something tells me that Redditors are doing fine in the privilege department.

Another gem: "I don’t know what “Sallie Mae” is."

I know what it is despite never having used it. How does mere knowledge of the existence of something qualify as a privilege?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #301 on: April 14, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »

High School asks students to write a satirical essay along the lines of "A Modest Proposal"...you know where this is going.

link

The left doesn't understand free speech, you just know they aren't going to get satire.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2016, 07:52:57 AM »

High School asks students to write a satirical essay along the lines of "A Modest Proposal"...you know where this is going.

link

The left doesn't understand free speech, you just know they aren't going to get satire.

Goodness, at least the school is of sound mind on this case. That poor student!
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #303 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »

Someone chalked "Vote for Trump" all over the University of Wisconsin last week and no one seemed to have cared.
Because 95% of college students don't give a sh**t about student politics. Maybe even more. Only Alt-Righters who whine about cucks and feminazis consider students a legit actual threat.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #304 on: April 14, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »

I took that Buzzfeed privilege test. My family was always poorer than dirt and my father left early. Still thought I'd be more privileged. Only got a 38 out of 100. Kinda disappointing.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #305 on: April 14, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »

I took it too. I got 46/100, somehow.

I have been the only person of my race in a room, because I studied an Asian language and have been to Asia. I've been mocked for my accent because I come from the only part of the country that calls tag sales tag sales. The whole thing about hiding my sexuality is...really difficult to answer for me, but whatever. I went to an elite college but then transferred to a less-elite one because the social and cultural environment at the elite one was so damaging. I'm in grad school at BU now; is that elite? I've never had a roommate, as a disability accommodation. What is a 'social disability'? Prescription drug abuse is a mark of privilege now?! If you're born with an identity, then in what sense is it an identity?

Strangers actually have asked to touch my hair, because I have really great hair.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #306 on: April 14, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »

I took it too. I got 46/100, somehow.

I have been the only person of my race in a room, because I studied an Asian language and have been to Asia. I've been mocked for my accent because I come from the only part of the country that calls tag sales tag sales. The whole thing about hiding my sexuality is...really difficult to answer for me, but whatever. I went to an elite college but then transferred to a less-elite one because the social and cultural environment at the elite one was so damaging. I'm in grad school at BU now; is that elite? I've never had a roommate, as a disability accommodation. What is a 'social disability'? Prescription drug abuse is a mark of privilege now?! If you're born with an identity, then in what sense is it an identity?

Strangers actually have asked to touch my hair, because I have really great hair.

I had the accent thing too. When I lived in Orlando when I was in middle school I'd get picked on for sounding like Brier Fox. The hair thing is actually pretty funny because I have very very light blond hair and the black folks I grew up with used to touch my hair all the time and would ask my mama if she bleached it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »

I just took it too, 48.  Middle class, middle age white guy with a job.  Not Privileged, the internet told me so.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2016, 04:05:24 PM »

I took that Buzzfeed privilege test. My family was always poorer than dirt and my father left early. Still thought I'd be more privileged. Only got a 38 out of 100. Kinda disappointing.

Nice fellow poor southerner. I also got 38 out of 100. What a bogus quiz. I totally have "Never been a bartender privilege" and "hair never touched by strangers privilege" to feel guilty about though.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »

Nice fellow poor southerner. I also got 38 out of 100. What a bogus quiz. I totally have "Never been a bartender privilege" and "hair never touched by strangers privilege" to feel guilty about though.

Thank god my daddy left me and I grew up in a black majority town! Or else I'd be one of them privileged white yankees.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »

Yeah, I'm never going to Buzzfeed for any reason other than being forced to by gun point. Plus, I'll probably get a huge amount of 'privilege' simply for being white male cishet scum.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »

I got 75/100, which is probably fair or even slightly underestimated. It's still an incredibly silly test even if one accepts the premise that privilege can be measured objectively.

Notably misleading answers include:
- I probably would sometimes be uncomfortable with PDA, but that's because I'm just shy.
- I can't honestly say I feel comfortable with the gender I was born in, even though it's probably not quite in the way the question was intended.
- I don't have a salaried job because I'm a graduate student on a fellowship, which by all standards would be better. Also what about people who live off dividends?
- No, there's no place of worship for my (non)religion in my town. Tongue
- I actually have been randomly selected for a secondary passport control. For some reason the passport was marked as lost and so I was stuck at the border police station for several hours. That was not a pleasant experience.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2016, 04:55:32 PM »

I like the "I have never been denied an opportunity because of my gender." question. Who can that possibly apply to?

Regardless, I got 64/100. Although some of the questions when read literally will provide the "wrong" answer: the hair question is clearly meant to give extra points to anyone who isn't black, but my Jewfro has certainly been touched by strangers. Also, I gave myself the point for not knowing what Sallie Mae is, but I've since looked it up and presumably have lost some privilege for doing so. Joke quiz.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »

Yeah, a few people have touched my hair before, although never any strangers. Also, I guess I'm more privileged for having no student loans because I have yet to go to college. Really, it seems like bullsh-t to me; class privilege takes up most privilege; I'm not saying that white privilege doesn't exist, white privilege exists, as does male privilege, straight privilege, etc, but class privilege is much more important.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »

Yeah, a few people have touched my hair before, although never any strangers. Also, I guess I'm more privileged for having no student loans because I have yet to go to college. Really, it seems like bullsh-t to me; class privilege takes up most privilege; I'm not saying that white privilege doesn't exist, white privilege exists, as does male privilege, straight privilege, etc, but class privilege is much more important.

Much of the class privilege uses words like "ever" too, which means that my memories from fairly early childhood, before my father got an MD, suddenly became relevant; some other things are incidental (have you been the only person of your race in a room; yes, I once had an African-American roommate who liked to host large social gatherings of his monolithically African-American friends, but I don't really think the experience made me more race-conscious).
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »

Is there such a thing as "yankee privilege"? Can I start telling folks north of the Mason-Dixon line to check it?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »

57/100. might have been higher save that as a UU I do get some of the "you need saving" aggravation from the fundies despite being a Christian UU. (Albeit a Christian Daoist UU.)
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #317 on: April 15, 2016, 02:11:48 AM »

49/100.

Most of that probably comes from being relatively economically secure.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #318 on: April 15, 2016, 03:38:21 AM »

57/100, thought a lot of the test was dumb.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #319 on: April 15, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »

Link?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #320 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »

I got 56, and I'm black!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #321 on: April 15, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »

I also got 56.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #322 on: April 20, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »

"Can We Take a Joke?", a film about free speech was being screened at UC Irvine.  The answer?  No, we can't.

link - UC Irvine's paper
You must be logged in to read this quote.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #323 on: April 20, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »

HIGH-ENERGY legal expert ken white STUMPS whiny frauds
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #324 on: April 20, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »

Again, I'm not offended by the crybabies and the only time I complain about somebody's free speech being blocked is when somebody's free speech is blocked.  Nice try though, 3 out of 5.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies