College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:58:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 53997 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:27 PM »

SJWs are awful, but most of the people whining about them are Alt-Right morons (Milo) who are just as bad.

In the end, both groups are stupid and should be ignored, but the internet lets them thrive.

I agree with this for the most part.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2016, 07:16:38 AM »

SJWs are awful, but most of the people whining about them are Alt-Right morons (Milo) who are just as bad.

In the end, both groups are stupid and should be ignored, but the internet lets them thrive.
Perhaps, but only one group is actively trying to silence people.  This is bad, and not hard to understand.....actually, apparently it is.  It shouldn't be.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »

You're missing the point, dead0. Yes, SJWs are bad for (sometimes) going against free speech. However, often times, the extremist alt right is just as bad for (sometimes) supporting discrimination. I usually dislike resorting to moderate hero opinions, but this is one of those times when we should.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:38 AM »

Perhaps, but only one group is actively trying to silence people.  This is bad, and not hard to understand.....actually, apparently it is.  It shouldn't be.
Calling those who disagree with you "cucks" is like calling those who disagree with you a "racist". They are both anti-free speech.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »

You're missing the point, dead0. Yes, SJWs are bad for (sometimes) going against free speech. However, often times, the extremist alt right is just as bad for (sometimes) supporting discrimination. I usually dislike resorting to moderate hero opinions, but this is one of those times when we should.
I understand the thought process, but I disagree.  I don't give two sh**ts about the "extremist alt right".  I don't care if it's the Klan, BLM, Commies, FlatEarthers, Truthers or Purlpe People Eaters, they have a right, a very important right, to speak their nonsense.  Just like the rest of us have every right to explain why they are morons.

Calling those who disagree with you "cucks" is like calling those who disagree with you a "racist". They are both anti-free speech.
You can call anybody anything you want.  You can't go into another person's house (or rented auditorium) and stop other people from hearing what somebody else has to say.  Again, this shouldn't be complicated.  Calling somebody a bad word doesn't take away their voice, but screaming like a moron so nobody can be heard or starting shenanigans in the hope of shutting an event down does.  It doesn't matter if they are horrible people spreading a horrible philosophy.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »

The problem I have with the Anti-PC crowd is yes, while some people should stop being offended over everything, I think the other side likes to overcompensate and say off the rail stuff just because. You can say it. It doesn't mean you should. They'll say some of the most blasphemous things of it not being PC, then call themselves Christians on top of it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2016, 03:33:57 PM »

The problem I have with the Anti-PC crowd is yes, while some people should stop being offended over everything, I think the other side likes to overcompensate and say off the rail stuff just because. You can say it. It doesn't mean you should. They'll say some of the most blasphemous things of it not being PC, then call themselves Christians on top of it.

The Religious Right =/= the anti-PC crowd

We've come to the point where it's pretty clear these are two separate Republican factions. Sure, a handful of the Religious Right are anti-gay marriage and causing the bathroom controversy, but they are not the ones hoping to speak off the cuff as they wish. Those are mostly non-church-going Christians in Name Only.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »

The Religious Right =/= the anti-PC crowd

We've come to the point where it's pretty clear these are two separate Republican factions. Sure, a handful of the Religious Right are anti-gay marriage and causing the bathroom controversy, but they are not the ones hoping to speak off the cuff as they wish. Those are mostly non-church-going Christians in Name Only.

I think they've become intertwined because I have seen the prominence among both in the office seekers since Obama took over. Whether at the federal or local level, I think they are mutual in many who have run.

Apparently to the religious right/Anti-PC crowd, it's taboo to say not all Muslims when radical Islam rears its ugly head. I will respond that a Sunni fundamentalist, indeed, is not a representation of every branch of Islam. They think liberals like myself love Muslims, but the past 15 years has seen an increase of hatred and a desire to silence every person of that faith rather than just making the rotten ones pay for it.

And yes, the Christian fundies are a big threat to this country like ISIL is, just that it's in different ways. I support the freedom to practice Christianity and Islam, though I practice neither myself. I'd also say that just as I wouldn't appreciate having my head cut off in a Middle East desert, neither would I be thrilled to be coerced to follow Biblical principles in a dystopian world.

I want these terrorists destroyed just like everybody else. If me opposing a ban on Islam and taking out their families in response to these monsters counts me as PC, then yeah, I am 'PC' in that aspect.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »

“I shouldn’t be reminded every time I leave my dorm room of how easy my life can be taken away ..."

So now if anything reminds someone of their own mortality, as a human, that is "emotionally triggering". Everyone dies. That is fact. These kids really seem to want to regress to being 5 all over again.

One would hope that being constantly reminded of one's own mortality would be a healthy motivator. Perhaps we need a draft, again.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #359 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »

“I shouldn’t be reminded every time I leave my dorm room of how easy my life can be taken away ..."

So now if anything reminds someone of their own mortality, as a human, that is "emotionally triggering". Everyone dies. That is fact. These kids really seem to want to regress to being 5 all over again.

One would hope that being constantly reminded of one's own mortality would be a healthy motivator. Perhaps we need a draft, again.

Why? Force people to potentially be sent to their death so war hawks and their masters can make even more money off their blood?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #360 on: April 29, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »

Why? Force people to potentially be sent to their death so war hawks and their masters can make even more money off their blood?

Put some real fear into the types of people who know they wouldn't survive. Teach 'em some discipline. It also gives the entire nation a hand in the war effort, instead of isolating its effects to a group of people we train to be death machines.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #361 on: April 29, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »

Believe me, the "Alt-right" is trying to censor people as much as the other side. They are just more perfidious about it.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #362 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:09 PM »

Put some real fear into the types of people who know they wouldn't survive. Teach 'em some discipline. It also gives the entire nation a hand in the war effort, instead of isolating its effects to a group of people we train to be death machines.

This sounds like a bullying tactic. So draft people into a potentially unnecessary war and also strengthen the military industrial complex even further? No thanks.

Pearl Harbor happened 75 years ago. The only arguably justifiable war we've had since then has been Afghanistan.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2016, 02:05:07 AM »

Pearl Harbor happened 75 years ago. The only arguably justifiable war we've had since then has been Afghanistan.

Korea? Gulf War I? Operation Just Cause? The conflict with ISIL?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2016, 02:35:25 AM »

Operation Just Cause? Orwellian names don't make it so.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #365 on: April 30, 2016, 02:46:11 AM »

Literally none of the above conflicts were/are worth it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #366 on: April 30, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »

Believe me, the "Alt-right" is trying to censor people as much as the other side. They are just more perfidious about it.
cite?

If they do, through whatever slight of hand you might be thinking of, they'd be wrong too.  "the other side does it too" is never a good argument, even more so when the person you're discussing it with isn't on that side.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »

Operation Just Cause? Orwellian names don't make it so.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Jfern on this one.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

Literally none of the above conflicts were/are worth it.

It's not like we were at fault in Korea though.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »

Putting spoiled millennials into the military is the last thing I want. The military is the strongest and most effective it's ever been. Putting your average college radical in against their will would turn them into AWOL/Fragging time bombs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

They ain't good enough for the military, just like most college aged humans.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #371 on: May 02, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »

Michael Bloomberg ruffled some sjw feathers in his University of Michigan commencement speech.  He criticized the idea of "safe spaces" and "microaggressions" and was booed by a good portion of the audience.  Who boos as a commencement speech anyway?  Tacky.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/michael-bloomberg-booed-michigan-commencement-222691?cmpid=sf
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 01:09:56 PM by Reaganfan »

Michael Bloomberg ruffled some sjw feathers in his University of Michigan commencement speech.  He criticized the idea of "safe spaces" and "microaggressions" and was booed by a good portion of the audience.  Who boos as a commencement speech anyway?  Tacky.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/michael-bloomberg-booed-michigan-commencement-222691?cmpid=sf

Ugh, don't you get it? They don't care about freedom of speech.

See, growing up in the 90s, I remember seeing liberals like this in history books:

They have grown angry and violent. No longer the peace and love of the 60s.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #373 on: May 02, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »

Dude the student radicals of the late 1960s were infinitely more violent than those of today. As you'd know if you'd actually read those history books rather than just looked at the pictures.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #374 on: May 02, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »

Dude the student radicals of the late 1960s were infinitely more violent than those of today. As you'd know if you'd actually read those history books rather than just looked at the pictures.

They were also far more numerous and far more relevant.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies