College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 53805 times)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: December 26, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Drexel-officials-Professor-George-Ciccariello-Mahers-White-Genocide-tweet-was-utterly-reprehensible.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look at me, I hate my own race, I'm so edgy!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #426 on: December 27, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »

I'm gonna actually defend him. Obviously this guy is a good example of your garden variety asshat but I think he was trolling more than anything else.

He looks like the Soup Nazi lol.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #427 on: December 27, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »

College campuses have always been a breeding ground for left wing nutjobs

Literally none of this is new

Yeah, this thread is just a consistent reminder that today's students are ridiculously unradical. In the 60's students would have considered it a success if they threw their administrators from the building and became a radical self-governed organisation. Today, it is considered a success if the admin promise they will think about introducing gender neutral language in internal memos.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #428 on: December 27, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »

Why is it so hard for colleges to ignore a few idiots?

Because the faculty, or at least a large segment of it, supports their nonsense. The idiots didn't just pick it up out of the void; they are taught to engage in this behavior by their professors.
Not really. College academia may be left wing, but outside of some sociologists, no one's advocating this.

Most of them aren't too open about it, but you can find classes and departments dedicated to disseminating fashionable nonsense at pretty much every university. These people then go out and create a climate where it is unsafe to question said nonsense, and wonderful things happen from there.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2016, 06:37:40 PM »

What a vital issue. The small percentage of kids who value this sh**t over school/partying has swayed my views on politics. I don't care about corruption, money in politics, foreign policy, or economic policy anymore. Clearly this is the most important issue facing our country, and only TRUMP can defeat this threat. I don't care if he kisses Putin's ass or ruins the economy. Those are boring issues, after all.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »

College campuses have always been a breeding ground for left wing nutjobs

Literally none of this is new

Yeah, this thread is just a consistent reminder that today's students are ridiculously unradical. In the 60's students would have considered it a success if they threw their administrators from the building and became a radical self-governed organisation. Today, it is considered a success if the admin promise they will think about introducing gender neutral language in internal memos.

In both cases though, the problem is the admin not fulfilling some ideological norm.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »

What a vital issue. The small percentage of kids who value this sh**t over school/partying has swayed my views on politics. I don't care about corruption, money in politics, foreign policy, or economic policy anymore. Clearly this is the most important issue facing our country, and only TRUMP can defeat this threat. I don't care if he kisses Putin's ass or ruins the economy. Those are boring issues, after all.

It might seem irrelevant to you, but SJWs are contributing to the rise of the alt-right.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »

This guy gets it! 😁
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2016, 11:40:56 PM »

Those people are the ultimate proof that White supremacy doesn't exist, lol.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2016, 11:58:03 PM »

I really hope the next four years will unite the party and get them off this SJW obsession. Nobody cares that you're triggered or what your stupid so-called pronouns are. Maybe now we can get back to the meat-and-potatoes issues like the fact that Republicans are about to turn Medicare into CouponCare and Social Security into a mutual fund.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #435 on: December 28, 2016, 05:04:14 AM »

None of this stuff actually swayed anyone one way or the other this last election.  Most people who voted for Trump have no idea what trigger warnings are or what a safe space is or what Tumblr culture is about, yada yada.  And most of them wouldn't even care because it's pretty much exclusively a 'millennial issue.'  It just gets hyped up on the internet because younger people are much more involved in social media than older folks are.

And of course you don't have to be a Trumpite to think that a lot of what we're seeing on college campuses nowadays is downright silly, or that people as a whole are in some respects just absurdly thin-skinned and that this in turn contributes to the denigration of the political discourse.  It should be laughed at, if anything, because at the end of the day we know it's harmless child's play.

(Or at least it is until it gets to the point where people start deliberately targeting public speakers /writers/college faculty they disagree with and leaking personal information about them or publicly demanding they be fired from their jobs.  But that's still basically a cultural issue and not so much a political one.)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #436 on: December 29, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »

This is what the safe spacers do to others.

Link

A long Facebook post by Fair illustrates the contradiction at the heart of her vendetta against Nomani. Repeating obscene insults she’d previously directed at Nomani, such as “f*** you” and “go to hell,” Fair accused Nomani of “cyber bullying” because she had the audacity to complain to Georgetown about Fair.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #437 on: December 29, 2016, 08:11:48 PM »

To be....ahem....fair, Fair isn't a student, she is a prof (somehow) at Georgetown (looks bad) at the Center for Peace and Security Studies (ironic)
JJC

« Reply #438 on: February 09, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2017, 11:58:07 AM by JJC »

This is getting out of hand.

Berkeley activists steal College Republicans list, dox members, post names/addresses online, send threats:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

At what point does the FBI step in and stop this madness? It is descending into domestic terrorism.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »

Berkeley should be quarantined and infected with Ebola.
JJC

« Reply #440 on: February 09, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »

At what point does the FBI step in and stop this madness? It is descending into domestic terrorism.
Some college students get mean emails and you think it's a federal crime? People who can't cope with a few mean words without demanding a safe space are so ridiculous. I'm sorry that College Republicans are such snowflakes and get triggered so easily, but they're gonna have to learn to deal with the real world.

Threatening people with violence is a crime. Yes.

So is harassment.

So is posting personal information online without consent.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: February 09, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »

Berkeley should be quarantined and infected with Ebola.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #442 on: February 09, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »

WTF?

There's nothing wrong with Berkeley. It's one of the best universities in the country and if I was of a wealthier background would've loved attending its excellent Sociology program. Some of its student body protested, a few violently, so people all start hating on the university and its students? The problem is Milo attempting to spread his noxious hate and dehumanization of others, including revealing the identities of undocumented students that could lead to their harassment. Instead, people target the university as if it's the problem. Incredible.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »

WTF?

There's nothing wrong with Berkeley. It's one of the best universities in the country and if I was of a wealthier background would've loved attending its excellent Sociology program. Some of its student body protested, a few violently, so people all start hating on the university and its students? The problem is Milo attempting to spread his noxious hate and dehumanization of others, including revealing the identities of undocumented students that could lead to their harassment. Instead, people target the university as if it's the problem. Incredible.

The third lateral is one of the dirtiest moments of all-time. Really a travesty. Nobody should recognize these cheaters as respectable.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »

Why should people whose presence in the U.S. is illegal be allowed to study at a university that receives government funding?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »

Why should people whose presence in the U.S. is illegal be allowed to study at a university that receives government funding?

Ideological insanity. Marx was wrong on many things, but he was spot on that ideology can make people act in strange ways.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »

WTF?

The third lateral is one of the dirtiest moments of all-time. Really a travesty. Nobody should recognize these cheaters as respectable.

Lol.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »

Some college students get mean emails and you think it's a federal crime? People who can't cope with a few mean words without demanding a safe space are so ridiculous. I'm sorry that College Republicans are such snowflakes and get triggered so easily, but they're gonna have to learn to deal with the real world.

How are Republicans snowflakes?  They aren't the ones being coddled and protected from other people's views.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #448 on: February 09, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »

Ideological insanity. Marx was wrong on many things, but he was spot on that ideology can make people act in strange ways.

To paraphrase a good line by Céline, all the slavers of history had it wrong; all they needed to work men to death with the absolute complicity of those involved was ideology.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #449 on: February 09, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »

Or perhaps it's because we don't believe that, simply because someone lacks proper documentation, they should be denied access to a university education. Most people in these circumstances are the children of undocumented immigrants who brought them to America as underage children, which is hardly their fault. Even if they come to America "illegally," I hardly see that as a reason to treat them as less deserving than someone who had the random chance of being born in America.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies