College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:14:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54027 times)
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: February 09, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »

Why should people whose presence in the U.S. is illegal be allowed to study at a university that receives government funding?

Ideological insanity. Marx was wrong on many things, but he was spot on that ideology can make people act in strange ways.

Or perhaps it's because we don't believe that, simply because someone lacks proper documentation, they should be denied access to a university education. Most people in these circumstances are the children of undocumented immigrants who brought them to America as underage children, which is hardly their fault. Even if they come to America "illegally," I hardly see that as a reason to treat them as less deserving than someone who had the random chance of being born in America.

If you want the privileges of living in America then you have to accept the responsibilities of being a legal citizen. Illegal immigrants are extremely hard to tax, especially for property and income which typically contribute to schools and universities. Why should legal, tax-paying citizens have to carry the burden of increased university attendance on behalf of people who aren't either of those things.

I'm all for amnesty and immigration. Countless studies show it benefits America greatly and education is a basic right of all American citizens but people seeking the advantages of living in America should have to take on the burdens of living in America just like everyone else.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #451 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »

At what point does the FBI step in and stop this madness? It is descending into domestic terrorism.
Some college students get mean emails and you think it's a federal crime? People who can't cope with a few mean words without demanding a safe space are so ridiculous. I'm sorry that College Republicans are such snowflakes and get triggered so easily, but they're gonna have to learn to deal with the real world.

How are Republicans snowflakes?  They aren't the ones being coddled and protected from other people's views.

Well let's explore that, shall we? The President himself is the chief Snowflake who gets very disgruntled if someone hurts his feelings, thus he tweets about them like a hormonal teenager. The base is coddled by figures on Fox News and other sites that constantly remind their audience that only they are "right" and "patriotic", hence no one else can be. And when you criticize people who are legitimately racist, sexist, or homophobes as deplorable, the same group thinks they're being universally targeted, and wants to go cry foul, despite the fact that "deplorable" is a much nicer word than many of the words hurled at the left. And the fact that Republicans, particularly in rural areas, also have their own bubbles of sorts when they're surrounded by people who vote and think the exact same way they do, and everyone in a given area is pretty homogeneous. Isn't that what they criticize "liberal bubbles" for?

I'm not talking about rural Republicans who live among people who share their views.  I'm talking about Republicans on college campuses where their views are a small minority.  Being a conservative on most campuses is not for the faint of heart.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #452 on: February 09, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »

How are Republicans snowflakes?  They aren't the ones being coddled and protected from other people's views.

they aren't on campuses.

their politicans and the grassroot movement are.

to shield themselves from being attacked with conflicting information, they have built their own news bubble.

making IW/BB now into professional and "serious" news sources and fox into a kind-of state-run television channel is only the next logical step.

CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #453 on: February 09, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »

At what point does the FBI step in and stop this madness? It is descending into domestic terrorism.
Some college students get mean emails and you think it's a federal crime? People who can't cope with a few mean words without demanding a safe space are so ridiculous. I'm sorry that College Republicans are such snowflakes and get triggered so easily, but they're gonna have to learn to deal with the real world.

How are Republicans snowflakes?  They aren't the ones being coddled and protected from other people's views.
Your buddy here thinks people getting mean emails is somehow "domestic terrorism."

More broadly, conservatives have established a bizarre conception of Schrödinger's college student, somehow both a weak snowflake prone to retreating into safe spaces at the slightest provocation and a dangerous domestic terrorist. I think it's funny.

The Antifa are weak.  They only attack when they have overwhelming numbers.

On most campuses fiscal conservatives are a small minority and social conservatism is almost nonexistent.  These places are already left-wing echo chambers.  But when one person gives a different view they can't handle it.  I can't imagine what it's like to be outed as a Republican at a college in California.

When Sanders went to Liberty University, the students didn't smash windows and then defend their actions by saying that they were fighting Communism.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #454 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »

they aren't on campuses.

their politicans and the grassroot movement are.

to shield themselves from being attacked with conflicting information, they have built their own news bubble.

making IW/BB now into professional and "serious" news sources and fox into a kind-of state-run television channel is only the next logical step.

I'm not talking about the right-wing media bubble that some people live in.

Each side has its problems that need to be fixed.  But the issue of special snowflakes on campus is an exclusively left-wing issue.  I condemn against the crazies on my side (such as the alt-right).  The left needs to do the same.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #455 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »

I can't imagine what it's like to be outed as a Republican at a college in California.

i think such republicans are calling themselves libertarians. you know, cool guys, just a little bit strange regarding spending.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #456 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

How are Republicans snowflakes?  They aren't the ones being coddled and protected from other people's views.

Well let's explore that, shall we? The President himself is the chief Snowflake who gets very disgruntled if someone hurts his feelings, thus he tweets about them like a hormonal teenager. The base is coddled by figures on Fox News and other sites that constantly remind their audience that only they are "right" and "patriotic", hence no one else can be. And when you criticize people who are legitimately racist, sexist, or homophobes as deplorable, the same group thinks they're being universally targeted, and wants to go cry foul, despite the fact that "deplorable" is a much nicer word than many of the words hurled at the left. And the fact that Republicans, particularly in rural areas, also have their own bubbles of sorts when they're surrounded by people who vote and think the exact same way they do, and everyone in a given area is pretty homogeneous. Isn't that what they criticize "liberal bubbles" for?

I'm not talking about rural Republicans who live among people who share their views.  I'm talking about Republicans on college campuses where their views are a small minority.  Being a conservative on most campuses is not for the faint of heart.
Is this a joke? Maybe at Amherst, but otherwise you're completely off base.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #457 on: February 09, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »

Sure they do, they just get their coddling from Fox News.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »

^Precisely
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #459 on: February 09, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »

What a discriminated minority they are. Probably need federal protection. Poor conservatives.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #460 on: February 09, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »

Yeah. Basically a few years ago certain activists on the left started complaining that certain neutral, non-targeted conduct  was "triggering" and had to be actively supressed.  Things like Mark Twain books or halloween costumes. These things were deemed subjectively offensive even if the original intent was not to cause offense and specific persons were not targeted. Critics of this mentality used snowflakes as an insult because many of these neutral things don't offend the vast majority of our society.

Now a lot of edge lords who may have been sympathetic to the "triggering" argument are specifically targeting certain persons with intentionally offensive comments, and somehow think this is equivalent to the first case.

An assignment saying everyone must read Huck Finn is not specific. A protest singling out a particular living person for ill treatment is specific. Wearing a Sombrero on halloween is not directed at anyone. Punching someone in the face is directed at that person. Basically you have one group saying "dont tread on me", and another group pointing fingers saying "tread on them!" You aren't a snowflake for complaining about another person's active attempts to cause you harm or grief.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #461 on: February 09, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »

"Liberal college students aren't being attacked, but if they are being harassed it's because their whiny SJW's who deserve it"

People with this outlook are worthless garbage not worth responding to.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #462 on: February 09, 2017, 05:44:58 PM »

"Liberal college students aren't being attacked, but if they are being harassed it's because their whiny SJW's who deserve it"

People with this outlook are worthless garbage not worth responding to.

What?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #463 on: February 09, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »

Why should people whose presence in the U.S. is illegal be allowed to study at a university that receives government funding?

Why should a man who knowingly and employed people in the US illegally be allow to be president? While Trump is in office, any and all complaints about "illegals" are nothing but hypocrisy.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #464 on: February 10, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »

WTF?

There's nothing wrong with Berkeley. It's one of the best universities in the country and if I was of a wealthier background would've loved attending its excellent Sociology program. Some of its student body protested, a few violently, so people all start hating on the university and its students? The problem is Milo attempting to spread his noxious hate and dehumanization of others, including revealing the identities of undocumented students that could lead to their harassment. Instead, people target the university as if it's the problem. Incredible.

The third lateral is one of the dirtiest moments of all-time. Really a travesty. Nobody should recognize these cheaters as respectable.

25-20
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #465 on: February 11, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »

This is an old news article I just came across, but it harkens back to what I said earlier about elite colleges: after Trump's win, several Ivy League schools and other highly accredited universities decided it was a good idea to soothe their disappointed liberal students by giving them play dough, coloring books, legos, bubbles, and healing spaces with puppies.

I just... what is there to say to this?  Like, I get how people felt that night.  I felt terrible.  I couldn't sleep.  I needed to take a couple hits off the bong to prevent myself from vomiting.  The days and weeks that followed were extremely unnerving for me because of Trump's win on top of all the other sht I've been dealing with in my life for a very long time.  But these colleges did exactly what the schools in my hometown did after a madman had barged into an elementary school and massacred twenty children.  A massacre.  Not an election gone bad.  And yeah, obviously conservatives like insulating themselves in their own bubbles - people of every ideological persuasion do that to some extent.  But this kind of stuff is just not normal, even for liberal college students: students whose predecessors took to the streets when they were being drafted to fight an unjust war and when Jim Crowe was the law of the land in part of this country.

I'm really trying not to generalize because obviously there has been activism over the last month that has been positive and civil, but there's clearly something wrong when highly respected universities are literally treating their students like infants.  There are future lawyers at these schools being encouraged not to engage with people on the other side of an issue.  Does it really have to be explained why that is a fundamentally bad idea and why it's counterproductive to the goal of having an informed electorate, not to mention the complete opposite of what liberalism is supposed to represent?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #466 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »

The only safe space 99% of students care about is a safe space to have sex without roommates catching them. Conservatives who whine more about SJWs on tumblr than the environment being destroyed are a joke.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #467 on: February 12, 2017, 02:53:31 AM »

The more I read this thread--both the stories under discussion and the Atlasian Roundtable's method of discussing them--the more halcyon UMass Amherst 2010-2013 looks in retrospect, and I'm starting with pretty rose-colored glasses to begin with!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »

Yawn. Is this thread still a thing?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #469 on: February 12, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

Yawn. Is this thread still a thing?

Trumpists are feeling very triggered these days. You can't blame them for wallowing in pre 2015 nostalgia.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #470 on: February 12, 2017, 01:33:40 PM »

The only safe space 99% of students care about is a safe space to have sex without roommates catching them. Conservatives who whine more about SJWs on tumblr than the environment being destroyed are a joke.

This post eloquently sums up 20 pages of bullshyte posted here.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #471 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »

WTF?

There's nothing wrong with Berkeley. It's one of the best universities in the country and if I was of a wealthier background would've loved attending its excellent Sociology program. Some of its student body protested, a few violently, so people all start hating on the university and its students? The problem is Milo attempting to spread his noxious hate and dehumanization of others, including revealing the identities of undocumented students that could lead to their harassment. Instead, people target the university as if it's the problem. Incredible.

The third lateral is one of the dirtiest moments of all-time. Really a travesty. Nobody should recognize these cheaters as respectable.

25-20

62-46-11 (63-45-11.)
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #472 on: March 06, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-madness-at-middlebury/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These people need to be told that part of being an adult is learning to accept that not everyone will agree with you.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »

They do enjoy eating their own.  Always have.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #474 on: May 17, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »

this one is kind of funny

I especially like the two women that come up to help her and then run away 3 seconds later.  Of course the guy holding the camera is an ass too, weed don't make you act like that.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies