College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:35:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54053 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 21, 2017, 12:04:03 AM »

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-madness-at-middlebury/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These people need to be told that part of being an adult is learning to accept that not everyone will agree with you.

Seriously there aren't safe spaces after college.

Cue appropriate music:

Not really the same thing.  There are still some Democrats in the Villages and the Woodlands and Republicans in Atherton and Westchester, and you can't kick them out just for disagreeing with you.
EnglishPete

« Reply #476 on: May 21, 2017, 05:00:10 AM »

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-madness-at-middlebury/

These people need to be told that part of being an adult is learning to accept that not everyone will agree with you.
If a group of employees behaved that way on a workplace picket line towards strike breakers they would not only be immediately fired but the authorities would, quite rightly, act with full force to ensure that they were arrested and imprisoned. Taking such action by the authorities in that circumstance is now entirely uncontroversial (except amongst the extreme left).

As a result the kind of picket mob violence that often occurred decades ago is now pretty much unheard of. This shows clearly that the kind of people who engage in this kind of behaviour can be, and are, discouraged and deterred when the right incentives are put in place. The same people who take part in antifa mobs would still be joining violent picket lines if the authorities didn't make it clear that doing so would result in guaranteed lack of reward combined with harsh punishment.

So why do authorities fail to act in exactly the same way towards 'antifa' pickets that they would act towards an industrial picket or indeed towards any other sort of mob engaging in similar behaviour? The granting of such a special exemption to antifa groups, officially or unofficially, to the normal rules that apply in all other circumstances amounts to a license to such groups to issue hecklers vetoes to political groups and speakers they don't like.

Why do the authorities, municipal and University, grant this special unofficial license to issue hecklers vetoes to antifa type groups. The reason is that they agree with this suppression of political speech they don't like and use this as a tool to suppress such speech whilst skirting legal protections for free speech.

That is why in these circumstances its rather pointless getting too worked up about the people who actually carry out this violence. Some people are just pathologically inclined to this kind of violent antisocial behaviour and will seek out whatever opportunity they have to engage in it, whether that's on mass industrial pickets, antifa mobs or whatever. Getting to upset with such people is like holding a grudge against an aggressive badly trained dog whose bitten someone when let off the leash or against azoo animal that's attacked someone when allowed to escape. Its the responsibility of the owners to keep any dangerous animal in check.

When directing criticism in these circumstances its important for conservatives to remember to focus attention on the owners who've let their dangerous dogs off the leash, and why they've done that, and not to get too worked up about the dogs themselves who unfortunately can't really be expected to know better.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #477 on: May 22, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »

I wonder why no one is talking about this story. Probably the most serious act of political violence seen from a college student yet.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #478 on: May 22, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

That's because those who most complain about "safe spaces" - conservatives and alt-rightists who want to shut down any discussion on racism, sexism, and inequality - low-key support what the assailant believed.

Anyways, for those who are too lazy to click on links:

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #479 on: May 22, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »

Killing people is bad. Free speech is good. These ideas do not conflict at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #480 on: May 22, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »

but but but...if we don't kill them now, they'll kill us later!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »

but but but...if we don't kill them now, they'll kill us later!

Its just preemptive self defense against literal Nazi fascists.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »

That's because those who most complain about "safe spaces" - conservatives and alt-rightists who want to shut down any discussion on racism, sexism, and inequality - low-key support what the assailant believed.

Anyways, for those who are too lazy to click on links:

"discussion," lol!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/hunting-of-bret-weinstein-evergreen-state/

How does anyone justify this?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #484 on: May 26, 2017, 08:49:41 AM »

Sorry this is where conservatives come to bitch about being oppressed. Not actual issues.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #485 on: May 26, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »

No one on the right is defending that criminal.  But plenty of people on the left are defending violence on campus.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #486 on: May 26, 2017, 08:55:22 AM »

That is not justified, but you won't find the Democratic party or most journalists supporting it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #487 on: June 05, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »

More of this SJW crap is being revealed and exposed.

SJWs are a blight on the left, as the Alt-Right is to the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f4Td7h9ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUn0WY33YU

Democrats shouldn't be too giddy about 2018 and 2020, this crap could cost them bigtime.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #488 on: September 19, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »

Middlebury officially gives in to the Heckler's Veto
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #489 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2017, 09:37:46 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Wow! Gearing up for a third school year now - how exciting! The Class of 2019 is really making its mark on this forum!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #490 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »

"In those exceptional cases where this review indicates significant risk to the community, the president and senior administration will work with event sponsors to determine measures to maximize safety and mitigate risk. Only in cases of imminent and credible threat to the community that cannot be mitigated by revisions to the event plan would the president and senior administration consider canceling the event."

I would need to know more about what they interpret an imminent and credible threat as.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »

The only safe space 99% of students care about is a safe space to have sex without roommates catching them. Conservatives who whine more about SJWs on tumblr than the environment being destroyed are a joke.

Wrong

I left the left because I was on the wrong end of the SJW cohort in university.  Being pro-choice while accepting life begins at conception made me a "sexist, misogynist" in their eyes.  Also, dare not to try to explain why because then you are exhibiting the "micro aggression of male privilege".

The SJW cohort is real and larger than everyone would want to believe. 
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #492 on: September 19, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »

The only safe space 99% of students care about is a safe space to have sex without roommates catching them. Conservatives who whine more about SJWs on tumblr than the environment being destroyed are a joke.

Wrong

I left the left because I was on the wrong end of the SJW cohort in university.  Being pro-choice while accepting life begins at conception made me a "sexist, misogynist" in their eyes.  Also, dare not to try to explain why because then you are exhibiting the "micro aggression of male privilege".

This thread/forum are not a safe space for you to vent your victimization stories. Please stay true to the thread's intentions for the sake of everyone else.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #493 on: September 19, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »

I have no explanation as to why Dave hasn't already nuked the forum.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #494 on: September 19, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »

Wrong

This thread/forum are not a safe space for you to vent your victimization stories. Please stay true to the thread's intentions for the sake of everyone else.
Who the hell are you to decide what the "point" of a thread is lol?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #495 on: September 19, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »

Wrong

Get laid my man.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »

Wrong

I left the left because I was on the wrong end of the SJW cohort in university.  Being pro-choice while accepting life begins at conception made me a "sexist, misogynist" in their eyes.  Also, dare not to try to explain why because then you are exhibiting the "micro aggression of male privilege".

Who the hell are you to decide what the "point" of a thread is lol?

Uh, I said for the sake of everyone else, as I assume it's uninteresting to most people to hear about Michael's experiences of some activists in college being mean to him.

We have a Forum Community board for a reason.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #497 on: September 19, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »

Wrong

Get laid my man.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #498 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »

Wrong

Get laid my man.
He would, but they'd yell at him for that too.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #499 on: September 19, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »

The issue isn't that SJWs exist, it's that they shut down debate and are encouraged by their professors.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies