College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54340 times)
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« on: March 12, 2016, 11:38:40 PM »

I graduated college in May 2014. When did this culture begin?

I don't remember the term safe space or trigger warning being used when I went to school and my school was overwhelmingly liberal.

We didn't have fraternities or sororities either. So I don't know.

Maybe I was just in a bubble.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »

Gosh. I likely agree with the political viewpoints of the protesters/students, but there's a different way to go about this.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »

SJWs are awful, but most of the people whining about them are Alt-Right morons (Milo) who are just as bad.

In the end, both groups are stupid and should be ignored, but the internet lets them thrive.

The problem I have with the Anti-PC crowd is yes, while some people should stop being offended over everything, I think the other side likes to overcompensate and say off the rail stuff just because. You can say it. It doesn't mean you should. They'll say some of the most blasphemous things of it not being PC, then call themselves Christians on top of it.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »

SJWs are awful, but most of the people whining about them are Alt-Right morons (Milo) who are just as bad.

In the end, both groups are stupid and should be ignored, but the internet lets them thrive.

The problem I have with the Anti-PC crowd is yes, while some people should stop being offended over everything, I think the other side likes to overcompensate and say off the rail stuff just because. You can say it. It doesn't mean you should. They'll say some of the most blasphemous things of it not being PC, then call themselves Christians on top of it.

The Religious Right =/= the anti-PC crowd

We've come to the point where it's pretty clear these are two separate Republican factions. Sure, a handful of the Religious Right are anti-gay marriage and causing the bathroom controversy, but they are not the ones hoping to speak off the cuff as they wish. Those are mostly non-church-going Christians in Name Only.

I think they've become intertwined because I have seen the prominence among both in the office seekers since Obama took over. Whether at the federal or local level, I think they are mutual in many who have run.

Apparently to the religious right/Anti-PC crowd, it's taboo to say not all Muslims when radical Islam rears its ugly head. I will respond that a Sunni fundamentalist, indeed, is not a representation of every branch of Islam. They think liberals like myself love Muslims, but the past 15 years has seen an increase of hatred and a desire to silence every person of that faith rather than just making the rotten ones pay for it.

And yes, the Christian fundies are a big threat to this country like ISIL is, just that it's in different ways. I support the freedom to practice Christianity and Islam, though I practice neither myself. I'd also say that just as I wouldn't appreciate having my head cut off in a Middle East desert, neither would I be thrilled to be coerced to follow Biblical principles in a dystopian world.

I want these terrorists destroyed just like everybody else. If me opposing a ban on Islam and taking out their families in response to these monsters counts me as PC, then yeah, I am 'PC' in that aspect.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »

“I shouldn’t be reminded every time I leave my dorm room of how easy my life can be taken away ..."

So now if anything reminds someone of their own mortality, as a human, that is "emotionally triggering". Everyone dies. That is fact. These kids really seem to want to regress to being 5 all over again.

One would hope that being constantly reminded of one's own mortality would be a healthy motivator. Perhaps we need a draft, again.

Why? Force people to potentially be sent to their death so war hawks and their masters can make even more money off their blood?
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:09 PM »

“I shouldn’t be reminded every time I leave my dorm room of how easy my life can be taken away ..."

So now if anything reminds someone of their own mortality, as a human, that is "emotionally triggering". Everyone dies. That is fact. These kids really seem to want to regress to being 5 all over again.

One would hope that being constantly reminded of one's own mortality would be a healthy motivator. Perhaps we need a draft, again.

Why? Force people to potentially be sent to their death so war hawks and their masters can make even more money off their blood?

Put some real fear into the types of people who know they wouldn't survive. Teach 'em some discipline. It also gives the entire nation a hand in the war effort, instead of isolating its effects to a group of people we train to be death machines.

This sounds like a bullying tactic. So draft people into a potentially unnecessary war and also strengthen the military industrial complex even further? No thanks.

Pearl Harbor happened 75 years ago. The only arguably justifiable war we've had since then has been Afghanistan.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »

Is college not about growing up and hearing and experimenting with new ideas?

Some things in college I did take offense to. It was hardly anything I needed a trigger warning for. People are different. We often discussed serious topics at hand and were mature and disturbing in nature.

I saw a therapist on campus towards the end of my last semester. In retrospect, that was a safe space to confidentially pour out my problems to and receive support on campus.

I don't like Bloomberg, but he's hardly wrong here.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2016, 09:10:31 AM by RightBehind »

I'm curious how many who criticize the censorship of social justice warriors also are for the censorship of criticism against Israel.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:36 PM »

Is the PC Movement this bad that Trump has all but officially clinched the nomination? That seems like a bad overcompensation.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »

Is the PC Movement this bad that Trump has all but officially clinched the nomination? That seems like a bad overcompensation.

It is pretty bad. Just compare the Duke Lacrosse case to the recent expulsion of the Basketball squad captain at Yale. In both cases, the team wore gear in solidarity with their accused teammates and endured heat. In the latter case, they are subjected to far worse treatment for doing so, even being condemned as rape apologists.

It has gotten worse recently, and considering the power that the PC crowd wields on college campuses, it is hard to imagine the situation getting better left to its own devices. Trump may be an overcompensation, but the problem he is reacting is not one that can be left alone.

So stand up if need be. Trump is not the best answer if you have a problem with the movement.

Seriously, what have we become if it's okay to violate international law and indulge in collective punishment and to ignore the Geneva Conventions all because people hate political correctness?

Political correctness and the opposition is a cultural issue. Violating human rights and wanting to commit war crimes is a bigger concern to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies