College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:41:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54322 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2015, 12:04:12 AM by France is still terrible »

I wanted to post this somewhere, but it is completely separate from the college protests, and since I get infuriated by what pops up on my Facebook feed so easily, I will share all the most ridiculous movements here.

To start us off, we have who else but Amherst!! They want to change their mascot from their school's namesake! Makes you wonder why they are so intolerant to attend a school named after a man like Jeffrey Amherst

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://acvoice.com/2015/11/16/lets-remove-the-lord-jeff/#comments
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2015, 11:48:43 PM by France is still terrible »

As a college student, I'm happy to be frustrating people like you.

As a college student, I'm ashamed that you too will be considered well-educated.

Should clarify that there are plenty of good reasons to be concerned about having a mascot that draws extra attention to the fact that your school is (and is in a town) named after Jeffrey Amherst, but that particular quote is ridiculous.

I actually agree with some of the reasons too, many put forth in that link, but the reasoning skills put forth in the bold were concerning to me. I find it similarly ridiculous that a mascot one chose to represent them in making their college decision is enough to cause severe suffering.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »

As a college student, I'm happy to be frustrating people like you.

As a college student, I'm ashamed that you too will be considered well-educated.

Implying a bachelors degree makes someone "well-educated"

I don't have to take that from a Kasich fan. Get your higher educational privilege out of my space-space. I never even said it had to be a Bachelor's so now you're just being offensive. Technical Schools matter too.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 07:00:38 PM by France is still terrible »

BREAKING: The disease has spread to the most unexpected of places - Princeton University

That last bold may or may not be bad. It's so general that I can't even tell, but I can only expect the worst. The class is the type of thing that would make me not attend a particular school, and I despise WW like any normal Atlas poster, but COME ON! Surely they know it would be a terrible decision to rename the most renowned IR school in America - ruin the brand!

Also, I don't even know what this statement is getting at:
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/11/seen_and_heard_princeton_univ_students_of_color_sp.html#incart_target2box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

President Eisgruber thankfully is one of the good and competent university leaders as he refused to sign the list of demands after carefully meeting and listening to what the group wanted.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2015, 01:42:35 PM by France is still terrible »

TOWSON UNIVERSITY INTERIM PRESIDENT HAS CAVED.

They deserved to be kicked out of the Colonial now before this disease spreads. Has America not learned yet that Zero Tolerance policies are NEVER the answer for ANYTHING. Disgusting. Expulsion for using language after so much money has been spent on the education is unacceptable. The worst part is "discontinuation of the Towson debate team". I literally did not know demands could get that ugly.

I also have very, very strong doubts that college professors are using racial epithets towards students in the classroom unless they are talking about trigger warnings for books or more absurd microagressions.

My only hope is the man signed it since he doesn't expect to stay as interim President for long and has no intent of accomplishing this.

Edit: I will add that an unacceptable bias incident did occur at Harvard, and it came with an acceptable response with non-stupid writing. Thank you intelligent law students.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »

I'd be more willing to criticize the "SJW" movement if it didn't mean siding with a bunch of racists.

For every one legitimate complaint about being overly PC, there are 20 angry white kids who think concepts like not calling gay people fags, not using the N-word, not dressing up in black face, not using misogynist terms, etc. are stupid.

This. Particularly on college campuses where everything is polarised. For the same reasons Christian groups on campus are usually nutters, leftists think they are Marxists and so on. College does not equal the rest of the country.

Well, that doesn't seem to be very accurate. What schools are you talking about with nutty Christians? Liberty and Bob Jones? Even their student bodies don't reflect the extreme school values. Most College Republicans are your young businessman type (and I suppose many in Greek Life?). I don't know where you're getting this idea of Christians doing anything on campuses.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »

I'd be more willing to criticize the "SJW" movement if it didn't mean siding with a bunch of racists.

For every one legitimate complaint about being overly PC, there are 20 angry white kids who think concepts like not calling gay people fags, not using the N-word, not dressing up in black face, not using misogynist terms, etc. are stupid.

This. Particularly on college campuses where everything is polarised. For the same reasons Christian groups on campus are usually nutters, leftists think they are Marxists and so on. College does not equal the rest of the country.

Well, that doesn't seem to be very accurate. What schools are you talking about with nutty Christians? Liberty and Bob Jones? Even their student bodies don't reflect the extreme school values. Most College Republicans are your young businessman type (and I suppose many in Greek Life?). I don't know where you're getting this idea of Christians doing anything on campuses.

College also does not equal the USA Cheesy

Haha, ok, I gotcha now
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

You forgot the best quote, Al. Courtesy of retromike22

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »

I think the take home message from all this is teenage white male suburban kids being rubbed the wrong way by one thing or another is the real crime and most important thing to talk about.  Can't wait for the Atlas diaper squad to grow up, get jobs, and see what the real world is like.

My God.  The discussions on this forum.  Seriously is everyone posting here really 15 and never had a job?!  People in big people world with careers on the line do not have these conversations.  This is seriously dumb sh-t no one with half a brain would do.

Are you slow? Even this forum, with all its odd demographics, is able to see that these people are insane for not living in the real world and making issues out of nothing. I don't understand what you are attacking the forum about. If it's for wasting time making fun of these crazy people, well, then I guess you're here too for a reason posting nonsense on the Internet. Your argument literally makes no sense.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »

I think the take home message from all this is teenage white male suburban kids being rubbed the wrong way by one thing or another is the real crime and most important thing to talk about.  Can't wait for the Atlas diaper squad to grow up, get jobs, and see what the real world is like.

My God.  The discussions on this forum.  Seriously is everyone posting here really 15 and never had a job?!  People in big people world with careers on the line do not have these conversations.  This is seriously dumb sh-t no one with half a brain would do.

Are you slow? Even this forum, with all its odd demographics, is able to see that these people are insane for not living in the real world and making issues out of nothing. I don't understand what you are attacking the forum about. If it's for wasting time making fun of these crazy people, well, then I guess you're here too for a reason posting nonsense on the Internet. Your argument literally makes no sense.

It is entirely possible there is something I'm missing here.  I am by no means perfect.  I don't get it.  I perused the thread and saw all kinds of statements about free speech and affirmative action.

I mean bottom line, don't wear blackface.  That's the beginning and the end of it.  Not really a jumping off point to a broader discussion.

We're not debating blackface. When that occurred at UCLA, Antonio V, who goes there posted about his disgust about it elsewhere. No one defended it. The Yale e-mail is not about blackface. An example of the kind of thing college students will get upset about is a sombrero and mustache. If you find that offensive, fine, but I'm not debating that any further. That was months ago, and it is not the full point of this thread, which was directed at absurd protests like the changing of building names at Princeton because Woodrow Wilson, etc.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 06:14:22 PM »

It is entirely possible there is something I'm missing here.  I am by no means perfect.  I don't get it.  I perused the thread and saw all kinds of statements about free speech and affirmative action.

I mean bottom line, don't wear blackface.  That's the beginning and the end of it.  Not really a jumping off point to a broader discussion.

The Yale e-mail is not about blackface.

Sorry, man.  I read the NY Times.  I can't help it if they lied about the whole thing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/09/nyregion/yale-culturally-insensitive-halloween-costumes-free-speech.html

This is not the Yale e-mail that caused an uproar. The follow-up email from the dorm "master" or whatever her title is to the same recipient list saying to just exercise sound judgement caused a massive flip out. People didn't flip out over being asked to not wear blackface. People flipped out because others weren't being completely controlled.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 06:23:58 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2015, 06:25:29 PM by smilo »

This is not the Yale e-mail that caused an uproar. The follow-up email from the dorm "master" or whatever her title is to the same recipient list saying to just exercise sound judgement caused a massive flip out. People didn't flip out over being asked to not wear blackface. People flipped out because others weren't being completely controlled.

Alright I don't get it.  My understanding is an email was sent out saying don't wear blackface. And then a college master said, "Muh free speech" and then a bunch of people were rightly appalled.

If you are going to reduce paragraphs of paragraphs of text into one word biased ultra-simplifications intended to stir a ruckus, then you are worse then most Republicans (and College leftists), but feel however you want, as that was not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to make fun of people who whine about non-issues.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2015, 10:00:44 AM by smilo »

Alright I don't get it.  My understanding is an email was sent out saying don't wear blackface. And then a college master said, "Muh free speech" and then a bunch of people were rightly appalled.

If you are going to reduce paragraphs of paragraphs of text into one word biased ultra-simplifications intended to stir a ruckus, then you are worse then most Republicans (and College leftists), but feel however you want, as that was not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to make fun of people who whine about non-issues.

Nothing more simplistic or ignorant than dismissing issues that don't affect you and that you could never fully understand as "non-issues".

I do fully understand the ability to not identify with my teams mascot since Stella is female. Incredibly difficult for me to get past it, but I try.

Also you missed the long Schadenfreude follow up post which was deleted if you are being Yale-specific, which was not intended to be in this thread. As I said in the opening post - that is a separate issue. There is a little silliness there, but it's not entirely invalid.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2015, 12:06:38 PM by smilo »

Hahahahaha, you are literally the dumbest person I have encountered on this forum, and we've had a bunch. Not one person mentioned Yale. Not one person supports wearing blackface in any context. No one who has posted in this thread would ever consider doing something so stupid themselves. You clearly just want to start an argument  for the sake of built up rage and have since the day you joined. Learn how to read the English language, and please avoid this thread until you do (though I do appreciate your contribution from The Citadel).

Also, if you were a premium member, you would see that I called out a celebrity for wearing blackface in the #AmeriKKKa thread months ago.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »

Reread your original post. YOU brought up Yale on page 4. None of the first three pages mentioned it. This thread is not about the Yale incidents. Not a single person has spoken in support of it. You just attacked the entire forum for supporting blackface when not a single person spoke in support, troll.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »

Reread your original post. YOU brought up Yale on page 4. None of the first three pages mentioned it. This thread is not about the Yale incidents. Not a single person has spoken in support of it. You just attacked the entire forum for supporting blackface when not a single person spoke in support, troll.

That just begs the question why did you lie and say the Yale email wasn't about blackface?  You keep changing your story.  First the email wasn't about blackface.  Once I prove with a quote and a link to the NY Times that it is about blackface you are now hammering the forum saying this thread isn't about Yale.  Now you want to change the subject.  It doesn't work that way.  You posted something that was 100% false.  Instead of being gracious about it and admitting your mistake you lash out and start calling me names.

There are some definite issues on campuses in this country.  I don't know what about those issues makes you feel the appropriate response is to make fun of the people raising those issues.  Sure those concerns have varying levels of validity but when you post an open ended thread like this and even worse lie about the Yale email what result do you expect?  There is plenty of stuff to joke about and lampoon.  You really can pick another topic.

We lampoon Donald Trump. We lampoon Ben Carson. We lampoon the GOP establishment. We can lampoon what is primarily leftist idiocy too, and if you don't care to, don't join us. At this point, I'm pretty sure you are making fake terrible liberal argument to push people to the right.

I did not lie. The e-mail is not explicitly about blackface. As I said you over simplifying it based on the issues one side if portraying the New York Times from the original e-mail prior to this one.
The e-mail is clearly about 18-21 year olds needing to not be parented by college administrators and needing to grow up which seems to be exactly what you want them to do too. They don't need an authority to specifically tell them the moral implications of these actions. If you are so adamant about that one particular aspect, then yes, blackface is wrong as I have already stated numerous times, and no one here has echoed support for it. I remain adamant that the e-mail is not about that matter, and it is clear we will never agree.

And I don't know why I should be gracious to scum like you who calls everyone names and then can't take a little bit themselves, immediately turning himself into a victim after calling out the entirety of the forum community. Go to Naples. In the words of a great author:

I have placed you on ignore because Satan has gotten a hold of you.  What do I do with Satan?  Ignore him.

You are the first and only on that exclusive list.

Happy posting Smiley Hopefully one day you learn reason and make it off
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 12:41:25 AM »

I'm actually with Green Line in part here. Most of the degrees you listed do make it a bit tougher, but coming out of good schools, they are given a good degree of consideration still for many decent jobs. If you do well in a good place, it displays competence, but you have to be extremely socially intelligent at the same time, even more so than people of the marketable majors, which makes it tougher. (Speaking more towards psychology and polisci who I do see in good positions though I know it's certainly not the majority of their graduates).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:06 AM »

the most shocking thing about this thread is that people not in college care about student politics.

Obviously I am in college so no need to defend myself, but these people get a vote!! That highly concerns me. And they're sooooo stupid. I don't think I can ever get over these arrogant losers but hopefully one day. I guess they'll change?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »

The poor Yale basketball team is under direct assault from the school with press releases directly attacking their behavior. Sad! The pathetic little institution of George Bush, Ben Carson, etc. strikes again.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:32 PM »

Reason I'm not a Democrat #4910...this was a darn good parody:

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »

These people are really gonna drive me off a cliff someday. So glad I made this thread. Another valuable contribution! After I thought I completed every goal in my life, I will add a new one: to make these people as miserable as can be.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 12:59:11 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/04/11/warning-white-people-singing-rihanna-could-cause-microaggressions.html

U. of Oklahoma course: A white girl singing Rihanna is a ‘microaggression’

The teachers are back at it trying to top the students. Oklahoma is a complete disaster of a place.

And something is severely wrong with their privilege scale when I'm only at a (soon-to-be) 5/16, and one of my privileges is never being told off on my orientation. (Quick, one of you Protestants say it to me so I can drop back to a 4!) I get that these are the controversial ones, but wow!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:02 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 10:36:59 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

Someone chalked "Vote for Trump" all over the University of Wisconsin last week and no one seemed to have cared.

It's a movement. Emory got upset so everyone gets it!
#TheChalkening
#TheHattening  (Do I put my MAGA hat on Mary or Jesus? Gregor Mendel may be easiest to get away with.)

(Only kidding on messing with the religious figures. I'm far too lazy to actually follow through on this stuff anyway Tongue)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 07:52:57 AM »

High School asks students to write a satirical essay along the lines of "A Modest Proposal"...you know where this is going.

link

The left doesn't understand free speech, you just know they aren't going to get satire.

Goodness, at least the school is of sound mind on this case. That poor student!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »

The most stereotypical SJW ever goes crazy at "The Triggering" at the University of Massachusetts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1H1rZL53I

Best part is when she says "stop talking to us like we're children"

Those speakers are terrible. I don't blame the protesters.

Also I think I recognize one of the Republican audience members in the video.

Milo Yiannapoulos is a hero of the people. There is no one I look up to more. The protesters are fully in the fault. Literally disgusting. The speakers are right; they are acting like children.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies