College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:55:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54348 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: November 17, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »

Things have actually remained remarkably calm here, so far.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »

I find this thread incredibly triggering. I'm physically ill from reading it, that's how much of a violent emotional assault it was. I'm reporting you to the government for harming me, much like the student at UMich in the link below.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25047/

"Yet many students declared the fake Berlin Wall offensive and an example of privilege – and at least one student told organizers – Young Americans for Freedom – that the display should be reported as a “bias incident.”

Another student even pulled out his phone and reportedly called administrators to lodge an official bias complaint."

Huh--

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Isn't "political correctness" an unambiguous term of abuse?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »

Was just wondering today, why in the face of the Great Recession, the American education system was able to survive, even though it it's been obvious in the almost 8 years since, that college degrees, and liberal arts degrees in particular, are less than worthless in their current form.

Why do people young people still sign up to get BAs in psychology, anthropology, sociology, political science, and gender studies when 1) they know it won't get them a job 2) they can find more in depth information about these subjects online for free?

It doesn't seem a coincidence that the moment when schools could no longer lie about making their students money was the same moment schools decided to push hard the idea that their students were collectively possessed by a demon called privilege and the only way to exorcise it is to "get educated"/pay a school lots of money.

I'll be sure to let my fellow Political Science majors know that they don't actually have jobs (or job offers) since their degree precludes it. Sure, the school may help, as may the popularity of the joint Economics-Political Science major program I'm in, as well as the (possibly) more quantitative nature of our Political Science major program in general, but to equate it with gender studies is over-the-top.

While I can definitely see how some course programs (especially those oriented towards American politics) can end up being largely critical theory-based and not particularly dissimilar to an Africasn-American/Latino/Women's/Gender Studies major, a more typical program is sufficiently similar to the apparent "super-major" of Economics that it'd be illogical to expect a completely different outcome.

Ultimately, I think someone who would find a job with an Economics major would be likely to find a job had they majored in Political Science, and vice versa. This largely applies to most of the other majors you mention-- and this ignores the fact that, to a large degree, these are the most popular majors for people who intend to go on to law school-- although you forgot to mention philosophy. Wink Almost all of the sociology, philosophy, and history majors I know plan on going to law school.

According to this list, the most common majors amongst LSAT takers in 2008, excluding "pre-professional majors" were:

1. Political Science
2. English
3. History
4. "Liberal Arts"
5. Journalism
6. Sociology/Social Work (shouldn't really be lumped together)
7. Economics
8. Philosophy/Theology
9. Finance
10. Engineering

This also brings up the question of "pre-professional majors". They, and not the abstract liberal arts programs, are many times associated with the poorest employment/income options. A B.S. from Wharton in Business is one thing, a major in Business Management from Podunk State U. is another. If you look at that list of LSAT takers again, you'll see that Pre-Law majors, in fact, have the second-lowest scores of any group, above only Criminal Justice. All ten of the lowest-scoring majors, in fact, are pre-professional majors (if we disregard Sociology). We see a similar pattern looking at GMAT scores and GRE scores.

It should be clear by now, then, that "major in something practical" does not constitute particularly comprehensive advice. As for STEM, I have only this to say-- we cannot all be engineers.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:38:07 AM »

I've been to events at Hillel houses. Hillel houses are nice places. I have a more positive opinion of Hillel houses than I have of Janet Mock.

The unsettling thing about this is that they were targeting a Jewish campus group rather than an explicitly Israeli one. The idea that Jewish groups deserve condemnation by mere association certainly undermines any claims the protectors may make about their lack of antisemitism.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »

Is she an Igbo?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »

I got 56, and I'm black!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 05:44:29 PM by Simfan34 »

Some narrow-minded "progressives" booed good old Bloomie at UMich:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bloomie, speaking the truth long before it was popular, well before Obama belatedly (if still admirably) joined the choir. And how they derided him then!

Oh Bloomie, how we miss you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies