If BLM jumps the shark and earns universal disgust, will it ruin Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:38:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If BLM jumps the shark and earns universal disgust, will it ruin Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: If BLM jumps the shark and earns universal disgust, will it ruin Hillary?  (Read 5787 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »

getting back to the OP, if the BLM movement did anyting that warrented "universal disgust" then Hillary would condemn them. Likely she would do it at some event with a number of other African American leaders like Cory Booker, Elijah Cummings, John Lewis, etc.
weixiaobao
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »

Blacks comprise 26.4% of those killed by police in 2015, higher than their population rate of 14.9%, but lower than the proportion of black federal prisoners of 37.7%. or the national proportion of black prisoners of 40%. Natives Americans are also killed at a higher rate by police than their population proportion. Hispanics are about equal. Asians killed much less often. The obvious thread combining of all these is simple: poverty -> more likely to commit a crime -> more likely to be killed by a cop.

The more crime you commit.  The more chances you will have with the police, which then increase the chance of you dying by police hand.  Someone made the joke that blacks probably have the highest rate of getting a degree in prison.  And that is how stat work.  And this is why of others factors like drug war, bias in the justice system, prejudice and racism.  Those factors do not have as much of an influence when you consider the crime rate.

People who make the statement "but we expect better of our policeman."  There is couple of things about this.  First the gun culture, and everyone is so damn jumpy about it nowadays.  Second, even goddam neurosurgeon makes mistake.  To the lowly cashiers could lash out at customers.  Polices are people, and not saints.  And no one should die doing their job.  And people can get cranky on a bad day.  If you treat cops as human.  Look up the murder rate of the general population and compare that to that of the population of the cops.  And some incidents, the cop was clearly at fault but unintentional.  Some incidents, the cops were entirely not at fault.  And there are incidents, where it is clearly racism (no but or if about it).

Yes, people may say, well polices are actually safer in recent years.  But impression is what matter.  Especially consider the news that the media chose to highlight.  
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2015, 05:37:19 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 05:46:21 PM by EliteLX »

An apparently required newsflash to the so-called political experts of this thread:

Racism is not an attack to be used whenever somebody disagrees with your word. Disagreeing with the tactics and the BLM movement is not bigoted racism, contrary to Rachel Maddow's opinion. It is not saying Black Lives don't matter. For the love of hell, if anything is sad, it's the fact the Democratic front runner is afraid to claim that every human life matters (Black, White, Latino, .etc), because she's afraid of the uproar from her hyper-sensitive ultra politically correct base described below.

It is saying the group is a sect of intolerant, rude & obnoxious, uncooperative whining social media driven millennials who are good at giving the police force, general public, and politicians a hard time as if Jim Crow is still alive. Whitey is not out to get you anymore, and the very select few Uncle Joe's down south who are deeply racist, should be punished accordingly and moved on. The group is attempting to politicize and blow up an issue to cause community riot when the issue is minuscule at best. Mainstream and structural racism is dead, for those who wish to continue it? Lay down the hammer, punish them, and forget about it. Stop trying to bring back the 1960's already, you live in 2015.

Forget the skin tone. If you're causing a stir, acting obnoxious, and inciting community uproar just because you can, then you're being unnecessary. I don't give a damn if you're pink. Can't we all just get along already.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »

I understand that this forum is mostly used for sh**tposting, but as a person of color, the white people of this community have made it pretty clear that any attempt I make to talk about my experiences with racism will be met with denial, aggression, and mockery.  I don't think I can enjoy a forum where I know that 90% of the posters are a-okay with the current situation and will aggressively denounce even the most incredibly polite, inclusive elements of the black liberation movement as terrorist thugs.

It's a bit shocking that the actual Democratic Party is more racially tolerant than the average poster in this thread, but I think it's symptomatic of a greater problem with this generation, as I've seen this same sort of attitude all over the internet, even in supposedly "progressive" spaces.  And it's not just on the internet, I see this attitude in real life too.  White millennials have literally been raised to think that racism ended in the 1960s when a nice man named MLK politely asked the President to give black people civil rights, and no amount of historical evidence, no amount of statistics, no amount of debate will convince them otherwise. 

And yet this is supposed to be the most tolerant generation?

It honestly makes me wonder what the point of continuing to live even is.  I'll never be considered an equal to my peers in life.  And even in death, nobody will mourn the passing of another random brown dude.  I've had a few terrifying, humiliating run-ins with the law, and I have no doubt that if a police officer shot me dead tomorrow, they would not face charges.  And if a person made a thread about it on Atlas, I would definitely receive the blame.  Because I'll just be another brown thug who had it coming, and the people who raise a fuss about it will be denounced as whiners.
bobloblaw
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »

yup, just like the antiwar movement in 1972.

BLM has some good points and arose due to a legtimate issue. But they, like every leftwing movement, have no self control and are experts and alienating the public. Think OWS, only more violent.
weixiaobao
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 06:31:12 PM by weixiaobao »

If you're causing a stir, acting obnoxious, and inciting community uproar just because you can, then you're being unnecessary. I don't give a damn if you're pink. Can't we all just get along already.

I have been into these sociology, x American study classes.  The atmosphere is uncomfortable.  I meant I was born into poverty.  I have witness violent against women in my life.  It like these kids never went through any inconveniences or hardships in their lives because the stuffs that they cited as racism or sexism is laughable.  And often, these educators would make reasonable observations of history and of current trends, but then their conclusion or call to action is just ridiculous.

I meant the fact that they change the definition of racism so much that only white people can be racist because you need "power" to be a racist.  Really.  Go on to Pakistan Defense forum, and see how Asians of variety of nations sling sh**t as each others.  Or observe blacks in China or Chinese in Africa.

Then there is the race baiting media (on both sides actually with different narratives).  But on the left, boy, they love to crank out every single cop incident.  Sometimes, a totally non story.  Some guy died in jail.  There was nothing yet confirmed or unconfirmed.  And the anchor admit as such, but then concluded something like "way too many blacks die under the cop custody."  I meant you can literally do this for just about anything.  If you crank out 2 stories weekly about fail surgeries, it painted a certain narrative that our surgeons are incompetents.  If you do 2 stories on Asian crimes per week, every week, then someone will come out with the impression that within the Asian community, there is a huge crime problem.  And when there are actual stories, the cases are often gray and not so very black and white as these media figure heads make it out to be.

---------------------------------------------

And certainly, cops or anybody really will benefit from better training.  But still.
bobloblaw
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »

BLM will demand concessions at the DNC in 2016.
weixiaobao
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »

And yet this is supposed to be the most tolerant generation?

2 years ago, I would laugh at conservatives for saying liberals are extremely intolerant.  And then boy, within 2 years time.  There seemed to be a huge brewing cultural war within the left.  That force me to think that this current generation is more intolerant than I thought (at least among the loudest ones).

Everything is racist.  It gets so ridiculous that at one point there was articles and an entire news segment (online news) about the systematic racism in hair style.  That is how ridiculous this generation had become.  And when I point out this stuffs, I am no longer gay or Asian or came from poverty or a victim of abuse etc.  I am just some white dude to them (because online, they can't confirm you).  They laugh, "if you are Asian?  Then I am Obama."
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »

Fu.ck this tread. I can't believe your acting like mass incarceration and police brutality are non-issues when they kill people and tear families apart. One dumb loosely associated hashtag and some group at Darthmouth doesn't define a mass movement by any means.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »

White millennials have literally been raised to think that racism ended in the 1960s when a nice man named MLK politely asked the President to give black people civil rights,

I was =n't raised to believe that and I don't think anyone on here said that.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »

Fu.ck this tread. I can't believe your acting like mass incarceration and police brutality are non-issues when they kill people and tear families apart. One dumb loosely associated hashtag and some group at Darthmouth doesn't define a mass movement by any means.

^^^
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »

I think BLM could damage Hillary and Democrats down ballot with some white voters. They are some white members of BLM, and they are more radical than the black members. They want to end "capitalism", "imperalism", etc.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »

I think BLM could damage Hillary and Democrats down ballot with some white voters. They are some white members of BLM, and they are more radical than the black members. They want to end "capitalism", "imperalism", etc.

A lot of hardcore white progressive college students claim to speak for poor minority communities despite usually being from wealthy suburbs.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »

^^^

I mean, has the 2016 election just attracted more nationalists and white supremacists than before? I just don't understand when this site became so infested with this sh**t. Maybe I just didn't see it before.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »

^^^

I mean, has the 2016 election just attracted more nationalists and white supremacists than before? I just don't understand when this site became so infested with this sh**t. Maybe I just didn't see it before.

It's not that, it's that the BLM movement is making white people to dislike some African-Americans even more. I think that BLM has a good message, but their tactics are foolish. Blocking traffic and subway only enrages some whites to despise African Americans at a higher level than they did before, and it's not right.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 08:16:51 PM by EliteLX »

Please read below..

I meant the fact that they change the definition of racism so much that only white people can be racist because you need "power" to be a racist.  Really.  Go on to Pakistan Defense forum, and see how Asians of variety of nations sling sh**t as each others.  Or observe blacks in China or Chinese in Africa.

Then there is the race baiting media (on both sides actually with different narratives).  But on the left, boy, they love to crank out every single cop incident.  Sometimes, a totally non story.  Some guy died in jail.  There was nothing yet confirmed or unconfirmed.  And the anchor admit as such, but then concluded something like "way too many blacks die under the cop custody."  I meant you can literally do this for just about anything.  If you crank out 2 stories weekly about fail surgeries, it painted a certain narrative that our surgeons are incompetents.  If you do 2 stories on Asian crimes per week, every week, then someone will come out with the impression that within the Asian community, there is a huge crime problem.  And when there are actual stories, the cases are often gray and not so very black and white as these media figure heads make it out to be.

And certainly, cops or anybody really will benefit from better training.  But still.

▲ This. Mass incarceration is a different story and can be tied to the drastically different crime statistic outlook for inner city African American males. Police Chief Jonny isn't counting up his inmates making sure the boys go snag one of them "colored 'folk" because he wants another in prison.

Yet, police brutality against any innocent African American is simply wrong. It is one thing that is wicked, out of the many things that are wretched in this nation, yet that does not reduce the possible bigger picture. What's important though, is the problem's actual significance and occurrence. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox will LOVE a controversial black vs white case because its drives a stir and increases viewership. They will slap these cases on air any chance they can get and run it so much your eyes bleed. When these conflicts are the only painted picture the American public receives, this problem, out of the many thousands of problems the country faces, is painted in a much more drastic picture and ultimately is shown as a crisis.

"Oh my God, yet again!? When does it end?"

This is the illusion that has driven the cultural race wedge so much deeper recently. What they don't show you is the "Oh my God, yet another?" dozen upon dozens of cases of African American killing officers.  What they don't show you is the "Oh my god, yet another?" cases of caucasian civilians killing police officers . What they don't show you is the "Oh my god, yet another?" hundreds cases of blacks raping and slaughtering other black innocent individuals and children throughout inner cities nationwide. They don't show you this because, to be honest, YOU don't give a sh**t entertainment wise. Doesn't bring out the stimuli in your brain. You give your thoughts and move on to making that bowl of pasta you were busy cooking, because after all, it's just news: right?

When we plaster the same issue to a television stream whenever we get a spicy controversial case and get millions of young people off their ass to give them something to be unbelievably frustrated about, BLM occurs. They don't show you the "boring" cases, where the white went after the white, or the black after the black, or black after the white. They show you the perfectly spiced up controversial "Oh my God, yet another!" white after black case too contentious to determine who's truly at fault and ultimately divide a further wedge. Repeatedly exposing just one case that fits a specific controversial narrative out of hundreds of daily brutal murders and outrageous cases leads you with an illusion a crisis is truly at hand.

Mainstream Racism and Jim Crow are dead. You live in 2015. Stand up and value all life. Value the innocent life of the young black man hoping to get into his dream school that was murdered desperately by a city gang member. Value the innocent life of the white teenager who was brutally killed and taken advantage of by a gang crossing by her late night. Value the life of the young African American male unjustifiably attacked by a Caucasian man. Value the innocent life of the white man slaughtered or jumped by the other Caucasian, or one of the other million cases that go completely unheard of.

And for the love of God, stop letting the MSM find something for you to get hustled and rustled about, because Whitey is not after you. Blackey is not after whitey. You live in 2015, not 1962. We ought to stand up, when racism does show through Uncle Joe, crush it with a spotlight of ignorance instead of using attacks of "prejudice" against anything that rustles a social movement you were jipped into buying into. All life needs to be valued in the way it's supposed to be. Racial controversy and the race card need to be put into their grave. The tension needs to be healed and the spotlight of ignorance should be shed on any existing cases of bigoted true racial prejudice. You are not the victim you believe you are.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »

While the tension has been brewing for a long, long time I believe this season of South Park was an important stimulus for the push back. I'd noticed occasional articles over the past few years confronting some of the more hypocritical/authoritarian P.C. SJW college episodes but never anything major. Around episode 3 or 4 of South Park this Fall, Real Clear and a few other political websites began to feature articles referencing South Park within the anti-P.C. context. I then started noticing more and more anti-P.C. articles in general including one on Halloween predicting that college P.C. had jumped the shark because the administration of Yale had just sent out an email about halloween costumes. The next week everything exploded, Mizzou and Yale had their tantrums, and I have since noticed multiple pro or anti college P.C. articles per day ever since. And now Dartmouth will certainly continue the phenomenon.

This current season of South Park is a commentary on P.C. culture, and their reflections mirror many observations that I noticed when I was an undergrad in college but never articulated because it seemed pointless/hopeless. Perhaps other viewers are having similar experiences. This could explain the uptick in posters who are no longer willing to just sit quietly when they're called "white supremacists" because they don't engage in self-flagellation and adopt intersectionality 101 talking points as truth.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »

ITT: A bunch of white kids think racism is over because blacks aren't getting hosed down on the streets of Birmingham.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »

Thinking the whole world revolves around this petty internet bulls**t is the saddest thing ever.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »

Please read below..

And certainly, cops or anybody really will benefit from better training.  But still.

▲ This. Mass incarceration is a different story and can be tied to the drastically different crime statistic outlook for inner city African American males. Police Chief Jonny isn't counting up his inmates making sure the boys go snag one of them "colored 'folk" because he wants another in prison.

Yet, police brutality against any innocent African American is simply wrong. It is one thing that is wicked, out of the many things that are wretched in this nation, yet that does not reduce the possible bigger picture. What's important though, is the problem's actual significance and occurrence. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox will LOVE a controversial black vs white case because its drives a stir and increases viewership. They will slap these cases on air any chance they can get and run it so much your eyes bleed. When these conflicts are the only painted picture the American public receives, this problem, out of the many thousands of problems the country faces, is painted in a much more drastic picture and ultimately is shown as a crisis.

"Oh my God, yet again!? When does it end?"

This is the illusion that has driven the cultural race wedge so much deeper recently. What they don't show you is the "Oh my God, yet another?" dozen upon dozens of cases of African American killing officers.  What they don't show you is the "Oh my god, yet another?" cases of caucasian civilians killing police officers . What they don't show you is the "Oh my god, yet another?" hundreds cases of blacks raping and slaughtering other black innocent individuals and children throughout inner cities nationwide. They don't show you this because, to be honest, YOU don't give a sh**t entertainment wise. Doesn't bring out the stimuli in your brain. You give your thoughts and move on to making that bowl of pasta you were busy cooking, because after all, it's just news: right?

When we plaster the same issue to a television stream whenever we get a spicy controversial case and get millions of young people off their ass to give them something to be unbelievably frustrated about, BLM occurs. They don't show you the "boring" cases, where the white went after the white, or the black after the black, or black after the white. They show you the perfectly spiced up controversial "Oh my God, yet another!" white after black case too contentious to determine who's truly at fault and ultimately divide a further wedge. Repeatedly exposing just one case that fits a specific controversial narrative out of hundreds of daily brutal murders and outrageous cases leads you with an illusion a crisis is truly at hand.

Mainstream Racism and Jim Crow are dead. You live in 2015. Stand up and value all life. Value the innocent life of the young black man hoping to get into his dream school that was murdered desperately by a city gang member. Value the innocent life of the white teenager who was brutally killed and taken advantage of by a gang crossing by her late night. Value the life of the young African American male unjustifiably attacked by a Caucasian man. Value the innocent life of the white man slaughtered or jumped by the other Caucasian, or one of the other million cases that go completely unheard of.

And for the love of God, stop letting the MSM find something for you to get hustled and rustled about, because Whitey is not after you. Blackey is not after whitey. You live in 2015, not 1962. We ought to stand up, when racism does show through Uncle Joe, crush it with a spotlight of ignorance instead of using attacks of "prejudice" against anything that rustles a social movement you were jipped into buying into. All life needs to be valued in the way it's supposed to be. Racial controversy and the race card need to be put into their grave. The tension needs to be healed and the spotlight of ignorance should be shed on any existing cases of bigoted true racial prejudice. You are not the victim you believe you are.

1. It would be hard to be honest with yourself by saying mass incarceration has nothing to do with racism when minorites compose the majority of the prison population despite the fact that 69% of crimes are created by whites. https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

2. Maybe the reason the media doesn't fawn over police deaths is because 2015 has been one of the safest years for police in recent memory. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/04/police-deaths-2015-law-enforcement-safety

3. I think many BLM supporters would agree that the media worsens race relations.

4. It's a completely ridiculous strawman to say I don't care about other crimes against humanity or all lives because I didsliked how many in this thread treated the BLM folk like pariahs.

5. How can you say Jim Crow is dead when it's legacy still permeates in our culture? Our public schools remain very segregated along with many of our inner cities. It's arguable that slavery's legacy is still a reality given the disproportionately high black poverty rates and stagnant income in the recent recovery. Also, just a cursory glance at some of threads like this one and half the U.S governor's actions the past few days seem to suggest mainstream racism is still alive.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 10:17:48 PM by realisticidealist »

1. It would be hard to be honest with yourself by saying mass incarceration has nothing to do with racism when minorites compose the majority of the prison population despite the fact that 69% of crimes are created by whites. https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

That table lumps whites with Hispanics, which way overinflates the number. Regardless, your source shows blacks comprise 28.1% of total arrests while comprising only 26.4% of police homicides. Still not seeing the racial bias in police homicides.

Also, note that blacks are far overrepresented in violent crimes, which are much more likely to receive prison sentences versus other types of crimes: blacks comprise 38.5% of violent crimes arrests, 29.3% of property crimes arrests, and 27.4% of all other arrests.
bobloblaw
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »

getting back to the OP, if the BLM movement did anyting that warrented "universal disgust" then Hillary would condemn them. Likely she would do it at some event with a number of other African American leaders like Cory Booker, Elijah Cummings, John Lewis, etc.

Problem is the left which BLM represents, has hijacked the entire Dem party. There is no sista solja moment coming
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2015, 10:26:19 PM »

Sisah Solja would actually be shouted down for being un-PC if she made the comment she made in 93 today. Her comment was that Black people should start killing White people because it would be a nice change from killing each other. It is very uncool to acknowledge that Black people kill each other. It used to just be that people said Black on Black crime was a separate issue or a diversion from police brutality (which I agree with) but now I'm seeing lots of people make the crazy claim that Black on Black violence isn't a problem or that it's no worse than White on White violence.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 10:28:53 PM »

That table lumps whites with Hispanics, which way overinflates the number. Regardless, your source shows blacks comprise 28.1% of total arrests while comprising only 26.4% of police homicides. Still not seeing the racial bias in police homicides.

Also, note that blacks are far overrepresented in violent crimes, which are much more likely to receive prison sentences versus other types of crimes: blacks comprise 38.5% of violent crimes arrests, 29.3% of property crimes arrests, and 27.4% of all other arrests.

The disparity is in incarcerations, I never claimed it was in arrests.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:31 PM »

No because she doesn't support most of what BLM demands.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies