New Pressure Group Starts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:43:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Pressure Group Starts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Pressure Group Starts  (Read 861 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2005, 08:43:06 PM »

Stand By Our Allies Caucus

After Secretary Siege's foreign policy review came out, I noticed some countries, close allies of Atlasia, had been given detrimental restrictions. These restrictions will drive countries like Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Qatar, Jordan, and Kuwait away from us, making them less likely to trade with us and support our interests overseas.

To this end, I form the Stand by Our Allies Caucus to promote the lessening of restrictions on those countries who have put their necks out for us and supported us overseas.

These nations include, but are not limited to:
Oman, Brunei, Kuwait, Jordan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Qatar, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Brunei
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 08:45:02 PM »

Hooray!  Let's support the brutal dictators who helped us get rid of Saddam!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 08:52:29 PM »

Kuwait has a brutal dictator? Please tell more...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 08:58:40 PM »

Kuwait is probably the most modern nation in the Middle East.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 08:59:01 PM »

I defintely agree on Qatar.  They are by far the most progressive Muslim nation.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 09:00:34 PM »

Kuwait is undemocratic. But look at the rest of the list.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 09:04:06 PM »

I defintely agree on Qatar.  They are by far the most progressive Muslim nation.

Qatar is currently Political 6, Civil 5 (Not Free) by Freedom House, up from Political 6, Civil 4 (Partly Free) in 2004.  It is not a progressive nation at all.

Kuwait is currenty Political 4, Civil 5 (Partly Free).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 09:04:26 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 09:06:03 PM by Jake »

Qatar, full restrictions, we stab Uzbekistan in the back with full restrictions, we stab Jordan in the back with partial restrictions, we stab Kuwait in the back with partial restrictions. Insanity

Do we base foreign policy on Freedom House. No, we base it on what helps Atlasia out. And I'll predict this Atlasia, if we keep stabbing allies in the back, specifically in a region where we can use everyone we can get, don't expect them to be there when we need them.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 09:07:59 PM »

Qatar, full restrictions, we stab Uzbekistan in the back with full restrictions, we stab Jordan in the back with partial restrictions, we stab Kuwait in the back with partial restrictions. Insanity

Do we base foreign policy on Freedom House. No, we base it on what helps Atlasia out. And I'll predict this Atlasia, if we keep stabbing allies in the back, specifically in a region where we can use everyone we can get, don't expect them to be there when we need them.
Maybe we should send Jake to Uzbekistan so he could get boiled to death there. MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 09:08:46 PM »

Maybe we can deport you.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »

Uh...I'm not in the US.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 09:23:05 PM »

This isn't the US, notice Republic of Atlasia

Those opposing this groups objectives would be the same ones refusing to send military and economic aid to the Soviet Union in World War Two.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 09:34:48 PM »

I'll be sure to appologize to the dictators and oppressors of our fellow men and women when we need their support to invade a country again. Me and my silly morality. I understand the arguement... it just seems so hypocritical.

Siege
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 09:46:14 PM »

Fellow, I wasn't aware that these nations attacked Atlasians. Care to back that up?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

Those opposing this groups objectives would be the same ones refusing to send military and economic aid to the Soviet Union in World War Two.
No, that would be different. Then we were facing an enemy who could only be destroyed by the rest of the world combined. Now, what is the enemy? Just making allies for the sake of making allies is kind of pointless. Tell you what, maybe we should force them to change: no freedom, no assistance from Atlasia.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 04:34:50 AM »

I'll be sure to appologize to the dictators and oppressors of our fellow men and women when we need their support to invade a country again. Me and my silly morality. I understand the arguement... it just seems so hypocritical.

Siege

Sir, that is a ludicrous attempt to make the issue seem black and white which it clearly is not. Nobody said morality is a bad thing, but when you are dealing with foreign policy it is ultimately a very risky game to base it entirely on your own moral outlook, especially when there is no definitive universal morality.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 07:13:28 PM »

Siege

Sir, that is a ludicrous attempt to make the issue seem black and white which it clearly is not. Nobody said morality is a bad thing, but when you are dealing with foreign policy it is ultimately a very risky game to base it entirely on your own moral outlook, especially when there is no definitive universal morality.

Of course it's not black and white, but at times there are very very dark grays that we must concern ourselves with.

In the end the Foreign Policy is subject to the Senate. They may amend it as they please, and likely will.

Of course it's morality. I assumed that we would agree that depotism is immoral, that oppression is immoral, and that in general, many of the regimes we have called friends really shouldn't be. That's my personal opinion, however as Secretary of State my opinion is the foreign policy until the Senate forms the committee or makes legislation, if the populace is concerned I suggest they A, call for my resignation, which I will not provide unless the President himself asks, or B, contact their Senator and get the ball rolling on the foreign policy debate.

Siege
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 08:11:15 PM »

No, that would be different. Then we were facing an enemy who could only be destroyed by the rest of the world combined. Now, what is the enemy? Just making allies for the sake of making allies is kind of pointless. Tell you what, maybe we should force them to change: no freedom, no assistance from Atlasia.

Now we see the issue. You don't understand the nature of war, especially the nature of the War on Terror. It's exactly the same situation. An ally that we need, with an undemocratic government, but we support them anyway because we know that they are an important part of our alliance.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 07:08:34 AM »

What the hell?  This is a serious pressure group?  I thought it was a joke!

Thanks, but I'd rather not endorse a foreign government that we'll be fighting in about 10-20 years time.  There seems little point.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 04:46:40 PM »

What the hell?  This is a serious pressure group?  I thought it was a joke!

Thanks, but I'd rather not endorse a foreign government that we'll be fighting in about 10-20 years time.  There seems little point.

I agree with the man from Ohio.

Siege
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies