VA: Northam announces candidacy for Governor (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:13:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA: Northam announces candidacy for Governor (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA: Northam announces candidacy for Governor  (Read 1484 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:28 PM »

Clearly the outcome of 2016 will matter, but I'd say Northam has a much greater shot than Gillespie. Northam is a doctor and is not insanely leftist. Gillespie is a carpetbagging establishment Enron-lobbyist.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »

Clearly the outcome of 2016 will matter, but I'd say Northam has a much greater shot than Gillespie. Northam is a doctor and is not insanely leftist. Gillespie is a carpetbagging establishment Enron-lobbyist.

I'd respectfully disagree. Gillespie only lost his Senate race by apx. 18,000 votes against an incumbent Senator the media (and virtually every pollster) said numerous times was unbeatable. Had it seemed like he had a chance on election day he may have come out ahead. Gillespie is a huge favorite to win this race, as much as I hate to admit it. I also believe Northam will end up being a lackluster candidate.

That's a fair view. 2014 was astounding, but I tend to view it as more of an aberration. Gillespie rope-a-doped through most of the campaign to discourage Warner (richest Senator) from burying Gillespie with ads or engaging in substantial GOTV efforts. By the time Gillespie started campaigning last year, it was late enough that Warner's money advantage was significantly degraded because at that point there was only a finite amount of available ad time left. The last 3 weeks I couldn't get in my car without hearing "Mark Warner voted with Obama 96% of the time" but only heard Warner ads on rare occasions. It was a very smart strategy by Gillespie, but I don't see the VA Dems falling for it again, especially in a year where there aren't national elections to distract. We'll see what happens though.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »

Honestly I think they should allow their governor to run for a second term.

Technically we have no term limits, we just don't allow consecutive terms.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies