Why is Huckabee even running?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:21:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is Huckabee even running?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Huckabee even running?  (Read 1502 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:07:16 AM »
« edited: November 18, 2015, 01:11:31 AM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Yeah we know he and Romney were tied for 2nd place in 2008, gathering evangelicals to rally around him, this time it looks like Cruz and Carson are taking the evangelical vote. Huckabee can't rely on evangelicals alone to win the nomination as the percentage of evangelicals in the GOP is declining every primary cycle. He is way too conservative socially and I would go on to say somewhat liberal on fiscal/economic issues (with the exception of the flat tax which could be attributed to a far-right position).

He had his shot in 2012 and blew it when he didn't run, I am bold enough to say I think he is honestly either running for a VP or cabinet spot. What do you guys think?

When he entered the race in early may, his polling average was around 10% which was ok for him, then it dropped to where we are now, at 3%, I don't see him going anywhere unless he pulls off a miracle in Iowa or South Carolina.

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:20 AM »

Just like Rand and many of the other candidates still running, he had promising numbers and a good start, and then dwindled down to oblivion once the public got bored of him.  It wasn't unreasonable of him to run, and he's staying in due to hope and friction.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:19:48 AM »

Just like Rand and many of the other candidates still running, he had promising numbers and a good start, and then dwindled down to oblivion once the public got bored of him.  It wasn't unreasonable of him to run, and he's staying in due to hope and friction.

If Cruz or Carson weren't in the race he'd be doing better but as the way the dynamics are setting up as they usually do, it looks to be coming down to a 4-way race between Cruz, Carson, Rubio and Trump.
Broken System

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:23:09 AM »

He ran his show for a few years to gather support. He's definitely in it to win it. Fiorina, Christie, Bush, Graham, Kasich, Paul, and Rubio are all fighting for votes based on voters who are either moderate or lean conservative. This year, the 4 people many see as strongly conservative are Jindal, Cruz, Santorum, and Huckabee. With Jindal out and Santorum's support currently negligible, Huckabee still has the chance to act as a fallback for conservatives, especially if conservatives bail on Cruz for being too extreme. Huckabee's biggest problem so far on the campaign has been the outsiders. Trump and Carson are siphoning huge percentages of the vote from every demographic, including a substantial amount of strong conservatives. Without them running, he would still have a large portion of his base. If Cruz, Trump, or Carson lose even just a bit support, Huckabee has the potential to become the fifth place candidate. Huckabee will stay in until Arkansas because that's his best shot at winning. If he can win that state, he can establish himself as a viable candidate. Very unlikely, but still possible.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:27:02 AM »

He ran his show for a few years to gather support. He's definitely in it to win it. Fiorina, Christie, Bush, Graham, Kasich, Paul, and Rubio are all fighting for votes based on voters who are either moderate or lean conservative. This year, the 4 people many see as strongly conservative are Jindal, Cruz, Santorum, and Huckabee. With Jindal out and Santorum's support currently negligible, Huckabee still has the chance to act as a fallback for conservatives, especially if conservatives bail on Cruz for being too extreme. Huckabee's biggest problem so far on the campaign has been the outsiders. Trump and Carson are siphoning huge percentages of the vote from every demographic, including a substantial amount of strong conservatives. Without them running, he would still have a large portion of his base. If Cruz, Trump, or Carson lose even just a bit support, Huckabee has the potential to become the fifth place candidate. Huckabee will stay in until Arkansas because that's his best shot at winning. If he can win that state, he can establish himself as a viable candidate. Very unlikely, but still possible.

I agree with the bolded aspect. While Huckabee and Cruz are both on the right of the party, Huckabee (at least in my opinion) is more moderate than Cruz is they both are too far right to win the nomination, at least in my opinion.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 05:10:02 AM »

I think he knows he can't win but I think he's running just as one last hoorah for the Bible thumping "evangelical" crowd. As someone already mentioned on here, their influence is significantly waning and I think Huckabee is trying to exploit that fear that they are having their voices "silenced" and being "persecuted" by the "liberal securalists," hence why he is running. He's banking on the so-called "silent majority." He really brings nothing to the race except for more of the same the "sanctity of life" and "sanctity of marriage" crap is all that matters; in other terms, he's just a reminder to the GOP of the "good ole days" when women were nothing but moms and housewives and the gays had no rights.

He truly is a horrible person and I don't think Jesus appreciates him misconstruing and exploiting Christianity for political gain. 
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 06:54:34 AM »

Because god wanted him to, obviously.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »

Carson is seemingly imploding, so he might get some support from him.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »

I think he knows he can't win but I think he's running just as one last hoorah for the Bible thumping "evangelical" crowd. As someone already mentioned on here, their influence is significantly waning and I think Huckabee is trying to exploit that fear that they are having their voices "silenced" and being "persecuted" by the "liberal securalists," hence why he is running. He's banking on the so-called "silent majority." He really brings nothing to the race except for more of the same the "sanctity of life" and "sanctity of marriage" crap is all that matters; in other terms, he's just a reminder to the GOP of the "good ole days" when women were nothing but moms and housewives and the gays had no rights.

He truly is a horrible person and I don't think Jesus appreciates him misconstruing and exploiting Christianity for political gain. 
Think how much better it would be if we had those old fashioned family values back!  Huckabee is a great man.  He simply believes in the traditional definition of marriage and opposes the heinous act of abortion.  Our society now embraces perversion.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »

It gives people a reason to talk about Mike Huckabee in 2015.
bobloblaw
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »

A book deal and a TV show.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »

Obviously this. I also think he's running to be Trump's VP.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »

Book sales, speaking fees, feeding his ego, and being in a better position to negotiate his new TV and radio deals. Everyone does remember that he left a FOX News gig to go pretend to be a candidate, right?

That the Republicans allowed him to use their primaries as his personal PR machine is damning.
bobloblaw
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »

Book sales, speaking fees, feeding his ego, and being in a better position to negotiate his new TV and radio deals. Everyone does remember that he left a FOX News gig to go pretend to be a candidate, right?

That the Republicans allowed him to use their primaries as his personal PR machine is damning.

This is the problem conservatives who cheer Citizens United ddint forsee. Anyone can now raise money for a campaign.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »

Money, books, exposure, etc. Being a darling of the religious right is a great way to achieve all that. What he says is so completely measured to reach that crowd that it's obvious, IMO. 
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »

Obviously this. I also think he's running to be Trump's VP.

ew no. Trump/Huckabee is gross, Trump/Cruz is happenin'
DS0816
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »

What does he have to lose?
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

Good question. He probably could have won the nomination in 2012, but that was three years ago and evangelical influence in politics is declining. I can't imagine who would pick Huckabee as VP, since he hardly registers in the polls. If the nominee were to choose a social conservative for VP, they would probably go with Carson or Cruz before going with Huckabee, Santorum, or Jindal.
Ticket2016
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

Mike Huckabee is running for the Christian Church and little else. I love him, but I think unless he wins Iowa (that would be a miracle) he canīt win.
TED CRUZ 2016
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 11:11:05 PM »

Money, books, exposure, etc. Being a darling of the religious right is a great way to achieve all that. What he says is so completely measured to reach that crowd that it's obvious, IMO. 
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »

Out of all the candidates, you're upset about Huckabee using the GOP primary as his personal PR machine? What about Carson and Trump?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies