CO-Quinnipiac: Dems getting crushed, Sanders does slightly better than Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:55:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  CO-Quinnipiac: Dems getting crushed, Sanders does slightly better than Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: CO-Quinnipiac: Dems getting crushed, Sanders does slightly better than Hillary  (Read 8836 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »

I like how everyone assumes that Colorado only went Democratic in 2008 and 2012 because it had Obama fever, and it's actually a red state at heart. I didn't realize Republicans had won every other statewide race there in the past ten years.... maybe that's because Gardner's ultra-landslide win of 1.9% last year is the only time Republicans have won a statewide race in Colorado in the past ten years. Hard to argue that it's a red state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »

Colorado seems very polarized between Left and Right with little center. When the Left gets its way the center goes with the Right after the Left goes too far after a short time. When the Right gets its way for a few years and goes too far, the center goes Left. Colorado was a hotbed of the Sagebrush Revolt a couple decades ago after having seemed to have gone rather progressive. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 01:26:48 AM »

Both Colorado and OH or Va are bellweathers and they have voted that way every election since 2000. Sooner or later one will give anyways. Eventhough, Dems lost in 2014, it seems like 2014 all over, CO in the center and OH, right of center, in which Udall barely lost, Hick won.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »

I didn't realize Republicans had won every other statewide race there in the past ten years.... maybe that's because Gardner's ultra-landslide win of 1.9% last year is the only time Republicans have won a statewide race in Colorado in the past ten years.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2014&f=0&off=7&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2010&f=0&off=7&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2006&f=0&off=7&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2014&f=0&off=8&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2010&f=0&off=8&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2014&f=0&off=9&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2010&f=0&off=9&elect=0
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=8&year=2006&f=0&off=9&elect=0
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2015, 11:30:36 AM »

Colorado is a "purple" state, has been for a long time. And it's not as politically polarized as, say, Wisconsin or Oregon. Tongue Sure, you have Boulder, Denver (proper) on one end of the spectrum and Colorado Springs, Douglas County, etc. on the other, but I think you'll find that most people there (including most voters!)  are rather "moderate - or at least, hold a mix of liberal and conservative positions. Though that's true of most places, to one extent or another.

Notice how at the statewide and Congressional levels, Colorado has often elected a mix of both Democrats and Republicans.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »

I like how everyone assumes that Colorado only went Democratic in 2008 and 2012 because it had Obama fever, and it's actually a red state at heart. I didn't realize Republicans had won every other statewide race there in the past ten years.... maybe that's because Gardner's ultra-landslide win of 1.9% last year is the only time Republicans have won a statewide race in Colorado in the past ten years. Hard to argue that it's a red state.

lol
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2015, 12:06:44 PM by OC »

Can we take the QU poll with a grain of salt. They didnt poll the senate race and Clinton was ahead in the Democracy Corps poll. Co, NV, Iowa, Pa & NH are must wins for Clinton.

Its Irony that back in 2004, the GOP could have split the electors 5 for R and 4 for Dems, but Dubya won it, and now it is the 272 blue wall.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

I was referring to senate and governor races, but fine. Point taken. My point is that Colorado is not North Carolina. You could argue that North Carolina is pretty red state, since Democrats have had virtually no luck there other than in 2008. Obama's win there could be considered an anomaly. His wins in Colorado, not so much.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 06:48:09 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2015, 03:09:09 AM by Eraserhead »

The numbers look awfully friendly to Republicans but this is of course a state where Clinton will perform poorly compared to Obama.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »

Joe Biden who was selected to counter Obama more liberal positions was instrumental in Obama carrying Va and CO.

As soon as Clinton picks a running, someine like Castro, can appeal more directly to the voters in the state. But, I wouldnt assume CO goes GOP, if Jeb isnt on ballot, because TRUMP is much weaker.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »

The numbers look awfully friendly to Republicans but this is of course a state where Clinton will perform more poorly than Obama did.

Barack Obama is, except for LBJ in the weird electoral year of 1964, the strongest Democratic vote-getter as a Democratic nominee for President in a binary election since FDR.  So on the average one would expect any Democratic nominee to do worse than he did.

Q may underpoll Hispanics, a voting bloc that has recently sealed elections for Democrats in Colorado.

Note that this poll is after the terrorist attacks in Paris, and Republicans typically gain in polls in a climate in which fear of terror is intensified -- even if the Republicans have bumbled into it or the Democrats are blameless.

Republicans win the Presidency in 2016 if they can make national security the focus.   
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2015, 07:53:35 AM »

The numbers look awfully friendly to Republicans but this is of course a state where Clinton will perform more poorly than Obama did.

Barack Obama is, except for LBJ in the weird electoral year of 1964, the strongest Democratic vote-getter as a Democratic nominee for President in a binary election since FDR.  So on the average one would expect any Democratic nominee to do worse than he did.

Q may underpoll Hispanics, a voting bloc that has recently sealed elections for Democrats in Colorado.

Note that this poll is after the terrorist attacks in Paris, and Republicans typically gain in polls in a climate in which fear of terror is intensified -- even if the Republicans have bumbled into it or the Democrats are blameless.

Republicans win the Presidency in 2016 if they can make national security the focus.  

The gun violence issue is just as important as terrorism.  Look what happened in Colorado.  JEB is the only one that can win in Colorado and he isnt going to be on ballot.
HillOfANight
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/politics/grumpy-cat-obama-republicans/

he started. "I'm going to be supporting ... whoever the nominee is. What are you laughing about?"
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »

Barack Obama is, except for LBJ in the weird electoral year of 1964, the strongest Democratic vote-getter as a Democratic nominee for President in a binary election since FDR.  So on the average one would expect any Democratic nominee to do worse than he did.

The gun violence issue is just as important as terrorism.  Look what happened in Colorado.  JEB is the only one that can win in Colorado and he isnt going to be on ballot.

The attack on the Planned parenthood office/clinic in Colorado Springs looks like (pending a full legal investigation and an adjudication of any criminal case) an act of terrorism in itself.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:37 AM »

Even more reason why Clinton can steal Colorado away from Trump, not Jeb, because Planned Parenthood reminds voters in Colorado of Columbine.

I expect Clinton to win it, now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »

When  I spoke of terrorism as a political advantage for Republicans, I spoke only of terrorism with an international flavor. Lone-nut terrorism (and Robert Dear seems as nutty as they get) shows what is wrong with our lax gun laws and inadequate treatment of mental illness.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

When  I spoke of terrorism as a political advantage for Republicans, I spoke only of terrorism with an international flavor. Lone-nut terrorism (and Robert Dear seems as nutty as they get) shows what is wrong with our lax gun laws and inadequate treatment of mental illness.

How about lone-nut terrorism perpetrated by home grown Muslims?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2015, 05:37:03 AM »

How about lone-nut terrorism perpetrated by home grown Muslims?

Do we really care what the religious beliefs of Robert Dear (Colorado Springs, Colorado) or Dylann Roof (Charleston, South Carolina) are?

The San Bernardino atrocity is another instance of workplace violence more than anything else. He went after supervisors first, indicating that something was very wrong in his relationship with management.

People of many faiths have committed horrible acts of terrorism. Mental illness, personal revenge, and racial bigotry (Nazi-style antisemitism is typically racist in origin and practice) seem more  problematic than any religious heritage.

Mainstream Islam clearly and unequivocally opposes murderous outrages. To be sure, ISIS, Boko Haram, and al-Qaeda are not mainstream Islam any more than Nazi or KKK butchery  is part of mainstream Christianity.

I am sure that the personnel files of the male shooter will be under close investigation. What I see so far is evidence of a very troubled person.

Let's not be hypocritical. The worst act of terrorism in recent American history was committed by someone brought up as a Christian and never was accused of formally abandoning Christianity.  We can't blame Roman Catholicism for Timothy McVeigh, can we?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »

The terrorism issue just solidifies what the divided electorate. And the race will come down not with the Appalachian corridor but the Rockies. The gun issue doomed Conway's chances in KY and reaffirmed the Latino vote looms large in CO.

Actually, before Paris, 2015, already foretold us what was gonna happen anyways. DEMS did well in Pa & La, and GOP did well in Appalachia, holding ground in Va and KY.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies