Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - The 2008 Democratic Primaries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - The 2008 Democratic Primaries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - The 2008 Democratic Primaries  (Read 6428 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »

Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - Primary '08

Rules + Regulations

1. This game will start on October 28th 2007, running until Election Day 2008. We will center on the Democratic Primaries, but for the winner of the convention there will be a GE that awaits. The plan is evolving for who will play the unknown Republican Nominee, but for now, we will center our attention on this marvelous campaign.

2. Endorsements are encouraged! You are able contact me for up to 4 endorsements every turn. It is first come, first serve, but if two candidates want the same endorsement on the same turn, I ask that the candidates will send me why they deserve the candidates more.

3. I will use a number randomizer to determine positive and negative news for the candidates (credit goes to Spamage, Sjoyce, and Lumine on their ideas): 1-5 will be negative experiences (1 being terrible news) and 45-50 will be positive experiences (50 being a huge boost). 5-45 will be no news.

4. The games' length of turns will vary for about a week (possibly 2 for nearby primaries and caucuses) depending on the circumstances, but all turns will last approx. 48 hours depending on the number of schedules posted. I know that time constraints can be a bear, but remember that we do have other people who are playing so just notifying me of your absence of a schedule for this particular week will not harm you.

5. A Debate will be given every other turn, in which candidates will answer 3 questions for all Democrats and 1 for each.

Candidate List -

1. Haslam2020 - Albert Gore (D - TN) - Representative of TN (Congressional 4th and 5th) (1977 - 1985), Senator of TN (1985 - 1993), Vice President (1993 - 2001), Democratic Presidential Nominee in 2000

2. Clinton1996 - Barack Obama (D - IL) - Senator of IL (2005 -Present)

3. YPestis25 - John Edwards (D - NC) - Senator of NC (1999 - 2005), Democratic VP Nominee in 2004

4. Spiral - Mike Gravel (D - AK) - Senator of AK (1969 - 1981)

5. Kingpoleon - Howard Dean (D - VT) - Governor of VT (1991 - 2003), Democratic Candidate for President in 2004

6. darthebearnc - Hillary Clinton (D - NY) - First Lady (1993 - 2001), Senator of NY (2001 - Present)

7. bagelman - Dennis Kucinich (D - OH) - Mayor of Cleveland (1978 - 1979), Representative of OH (Congressional 10th) (1991 - Present)

8. Kasich 2016 - Donald Trump (D - NY) - Business Mogul (1968 - Present)

9. Enduro - Jim Webb (D - VA) - Secretary of the Navy (1987 - 1988), Senator of VA (2007 - Present)

10. ChairmanSanchez - Al Sharpton (D - NY) - Civil Rights Activist (1969 - Present)

11. ClassicConservative - Harry Reid (D - NV) - Representative of NV (Congressional 1st) (1983 - 1987), Senator of NV (1987 - Present)
Primary/Caucus Dates
You must be logged in to read this quote.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:03:31 PM »

Turn One starts Sunday, please post your announcements so I can do a Democratic Poll.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »

Can I get an extension through this evening? Thanks, been feeling under the weather.
That's fine, please do it by tomorrow though.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »

Finishing up Turn One for release tonight or tomorrow.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »

Turn One - Yes We Can!

October 28th to November 3rd, 2007:

Real Clear Polling: National Democratic Primary:

Hillary Clinton: 29%
Barack Obama: 18%
Al Gore: 11%
Howard Dean: 9%
John Edwards: 8%
Donald Trump: 6%
Harry Reid: 4%
Jim Webb 2%
Dennis Kucinich: 1%
Mike Gravel: 1%
Al Sharpton: <1%
Undecided: 13%

CNN Special Report:

WOLF:  So, Christiane, how would you characterize the Democratic announcements?
CHRISTIANE:  Well, Wolf, change was the recurring theme among many Democratic contenders.  Obama, Edwards, Kucinich, Webb, and Reid led the charge for change.  Others, such as Dean and Gravel, called upon populist themes of returning decisionmaking to the people.  Clinton, Gore, and Trump, however, each staked out their own theme.  Clinton reminded us of the successes of Bill Clinton's administration, Gore emphasized his broad experience, while Trump has staked out his territory as the "anti-candidate."  Sharpton, unfortunately, has failed to provide an announcement after indicating his candidacy.
WOLF:  How are people responding to the candidates at this point?
CHRISTIANE:The response among the general public is really quite varied depending upon the candidate.  Hillary is wowing folks with her grasp of the issues, and her ability to draw on the successes of Bill Clinton's administration seem to resonant with voters.  But it is unclear whether this could possibly hurt her in the long term.  Time will tell.  Obama is definitely drawing in young and African American voters with his inspirational message of hope and change . . . but many voters have indicated they are waiting for him to be specific about his positions and policies. Voters seem to think Gore certainly has the credentials, but his charisma doesn't seem to match that strong background.   Dean seems to be garnering strong support and his promise to re-build his 2004 movement could catch on.  Edwards is strong on the theme of change, but hasn't given specifics yet, so people seem to be in "watch and wait" mode with him.  As for Trump, voters don't quite know how to take him, with some resonating with his "anti-establishment" persona.  As for Reid, his call for change seems to draw many in, but he seems to be providing mixed messages on some counts.  Webb, Kucinich, and Gravel have all begun to draw a strong committed few - it will be interesting to see if those few will blossom into many.
WOLF:  Thank you, Christiane.  We look forward to hearing more in the upcoming weeks.

Candidates, you have 48 hours to finish this. News Stories, IA + NH polling, and positive and negatives will be out for Turn 2.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 01:15:44 AM »

This is extended 24 hours. Make it count.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »

Turn 2 is coming right up - Get ready for the 1st Democratic Debate!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »

Turn 2 is coming right up - Get ready for the 1st Democratic Debate!
How are we going to do the debate? A live undercard and a live Top Four/Five debate? I just finished, so I'd appreciate it if we could be told how to do the next turn.
All candidates will be asked 1 personal question and 3 overarching questions.  Just answer them with your schedule attached. I will have more stuff on debates when I post this.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:34 PM »

I will be putting out Turn 2 tomorrow evening. I sincerely apologize for the delay and thank you all for your patience.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 11:31:17 PM »

ooc: Screw the inactive people skip them, this is a good game! Please make the next turn in 24 hours including the debate! thx
I was just about to start this again! I deeply apologize for my delays. I will be posting the turn, along w/ the debates. I hope we can rekindle the people we had before.
Thanks -
-NeverAgain
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »

It's a shame this was started before I joined. I'd love to play as an Independent Joe Lieberman (lol).
This is just the Democratic Primary, you may join as a Democratic Lieberman though. You will have to wait until turn 3 as I am calculating it with the current candidates atm.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:08:42 PM »

I actually was planning on it, but didn't think there was any support. I'd love to though, as I will probably have time in the coming weeks.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 07:54:42 PM »

I'd certainly be willing to host a 2008 game if NeverAgain no longer wants to.

I had many plans for this game, many of which have been bogged down due to time constraints. If you'd like to host it by all means go ahead. I was planning on starting it soon, but I will be in Costa Rica without adequate WiFi so if people are interested I don't want to be a momentum killer.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies