Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - The 2008 Democratic Primaries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:21:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - The 2008 Democratic Primaries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hope, Change, and that Cracked Glass Ceiling - The 2008 Democratic Primaries  (Read 6415 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: November 20, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »

Barack Obama Campaign Kick-Off Speech
"May I introduce to you, the next President of the United States of America, my husband, Senator Barack Obama!"

"Thank you! Thank you all so much. But let me begin by saying thanks to all you who've traveled, from far and wide, to brave the cold today.

We all made this journey for a reason. It's very humbling, but in my heart I know you didn't come here just for me, you came here because you believe in what this country can be. In the face of war, you believe there can be peace. In the face of despair, you believe there can be hope. In the face of a politics that's shut you out, that's told you to settle, that's divided us for too long, you believe we can be one people, reaching for what's possible, building that more perfect union."

"Now yes, I do recognize there is a certain presumptuousness -- a certain audacity -- to this announcement. I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington. But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change.

The genius of our founders is that they designed a system of government that can be changed. And we should take heart, because we've changed this country before. In the face of tyranny, a band of patriots brought an Empire to its knees. In the face of secession, we unified a nation and set the captives free. In the face of Depression, we put people back to work and lifted millions out of poverty. We welcomed immigrants to our shores, we opened railroads to the west, we landed a man on the moon, and we heard a King's call to let justice roll down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

Each and every time, a new generation has risen up and done what's needed to be done. Today we are called once more -- and it is time for our generation to answer that call."
"That is why this campaign can't only be about me. It must be about us -- it must be about what we can do together. This campaign must be the occasion, the vehicle, of your hopes, and your dreams. It will take your time, your energy, and your advice -- to push us forward when we're doing right, and to let us know when we're not. This campaign has to be about reclaiming the meaning of citizenship, restoring our sense of common purpose, and realizing that few obstacles can withstand the power of millions of voices calling for change."

"That is our purpose here today.

That's why I'm in this race.

Not just to hold an office, but to gather with you to transform a nation.

I want to win that next battle -- for justice and opportunity.

I want to win that next battle -- for better schools, and better jobs, and health care for all."

"I want us to take up the unfinished business of perfecting our union, and building a better America.
And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching before us; if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe past and future generations, then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with you. Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be done, and usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth.

Thank you. God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.
"
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 12:25:56 AM »

OOC: Harry Reid is running for President? No one thinks that's a little crazy or unrealistic?
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2015, 11:15:55 PM by Clinton1996 »

Barack Obama Schedule for Week of October 28th
10/28/2007
-Appearance on Countdown
-Campaign Rally, Townhall in Franklin, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Chariton, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Le Mars, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Waterloo, IA.

10/29/2007
-Meet and Greet in Independence, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Tama, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Marshalltown, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Hubbard, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Humboldt, IA.

Mrs. Periwinkle: “Senator Obama, my husband Alfredo suffers from glaucoma. Now there have been studies that show that cannabis helps with his symptoms and yet it is illegal for his doctor to prescribe it to him here. My question is, where do you stand on the issue?"
Senator. Obama: “Well ma'am I uhh, I am familiar with the studies you mentioned and I do agree with you on the uhhh, on the idea that marijuana does have some positive medical uses. Which is why I am open to the idea of decriminalization. Teenagers shouldn't be using it recreationally, but I see no reason why it should be barred from medicinal use."

10/30/2007
-Townhall, Meet and Greet in Algona, IA.
-Appearance on Morning Joe
-Meet and Greet in Hampton, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Mason City, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Denison, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Iowa City, IA

10/31/2007
-Meet and Greet in Strawberry Point, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Allison, IA.
-Appearance on Hardball
-Appearance on Daily Show
-Meet and Greet in Waverly, IA.
-Meet and Greet in State Center, IA.

"We cannot be a nation that focuses simply on unnecessary and unjust skirmishes abroad. We have to invest here, at home, in our children's' educations, in our veterans' healthcare, in our roads and bridges. We have to be willing to make the Changes in Washington necessary to bring about true progress in America. And I am the only candidate in this field that can do that!"

11/1/2007
-Meet and Greet in Eldora, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Webster City, IA.
-Meet and Greet in Jewell Junction, IA.
-Apppearance on O'Reilly Factor
-Meet and Greet in Ames, IA.

11/2/2007
-Senatorial Duties in Washington D.C

"John, I told Michelle when we started that this thing was gonna be long and hard. And then I told her I intended on running for President."

11/3/2007
-Return to Iowa
-Voter Registration Drive in Ogden, IA
-Meet and Greet in Ogden, IA.
-Campaign Rally in Des Moines, IA
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies