Political parties in New England and NE-less America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:35:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Political parties in New England and NE-less America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political parties in New England and NE-less America  (Read 1812 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
« edited: December 03, 2015, 07:24:11 PM by Solidarity Forever »

I'm cooking up some ideas for a New England secession/Burr Conspiracy double whammy TL, and I was wondering what the political parties would be in the separated two - I've sketched it out until about the 20s/30s for the US and the 40s for NE, but I'm not quite sure how to go on as we diverge further from OTL.

In the US, so far we've got the National Party and the Democratic Party, which are the same as the NatReps/Whigs and Dems OTL, although obviously the Dems are a lot stronger. I'm thinking there might be cracks appearing in the Democratic coalition soon, especially with the Nullification Crisis and the effects of a much more Southern nation on it, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I'm definitely imagining a Manifest Destiny type thing in the Caribbean, what with the Ostend Manifesto and the Slave Power and all that, so maybe that could play into the party systems?

I've actually gone quite a bit further in New England than the US, with mostly Federalist dominance (in a sort of Massachusetts Dynasty for the first eighteen years) until the rise of the Anti-Masonic Party as a credible second party and its later merger with the People's Party (the Dorr Rebellion plays a big role ITTL, pretty much developing into a full-blown civil war). The Federalists are your typical Federalists, adapted to the modern day (modern, of course, meaning the 1830s), where as the Anti-Masons/Populists are a more populist (of course), Jacksonian Democracy type of party (although not necessarily economically - I'll have to look into that more). Slavery obviously wouldn't be an issue, and they are very close to Great Britain both economically and politically, so perhaps that would play a role? Maybe the Know-Nothings could be a significant third party?

Thoughts?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 04:33:11 PM »

OK, I've generally hashed it out until about the 1860s-70s in both places (the Civil War happens a tad earlier, with the North seceding from the South and joining New England), but now I'm not entirely sure. Obviously the Democrats are going to break up into whatever factions they had (Gold Dems, Bryanites, etc. - although probably neither Cleveland nor Bryan will matter), but sometime along the line there's going to be a slave revolt or civil war or something and they'll have to be dealt with - maybe Populist-type squabbles, with the white workers against the black workers? And the North would probably go fairly conservative, but the IRL political disputes and things like the Progressives will have to work their way into the party system or change it. Right now it's pro-Britain, generally right-wing Federalists (with a dash of nativism thrown in there for good measure) vs anti-Britain, generally left-wing Populists, plus whatever parties they pick up from NY/NJ/PA joining them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »

I think New York and New Jersey joining a NE nation could only happen if they have larger Italian-speaking populations than OTL. The same with Pennsylvania and Germans. Thinking of it, I imagine New Jersey would have a large German population in about 75% of its land, but just as many Italians in the northernmost part.

Have you considered a Rensselaer dynasty?
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:22:04 AM »

I think New York and New Jersey joining a NE nation could only happen if they have larger Italian-speaking populations than OTL. The same with Pennsylvania and Germans. Thinking of it, I imagine New Jersey would have a large German population in about 75% of its land, but just as many Italians in the northernmost part.

Why would that have anything to do with it?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »

Why would that have anything to do with it?

It would encourage an anti-Know Nothing movement and have a slight lingual/racial barrier with the rest of America.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies