If the GOP loses in 2016, who becomes the 2020 front-runner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  If the GOP loses in 2016, who becomes the 2020 front-runner?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If the GOP loses in 2016, who becomes the 2020 front-runner?
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI)

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)

Gov. Susana Martinez (R-NM)

Gov. Nikki Haley (R-SC)

Gov. John Kasich (R-OH)

U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH)

U.S. Senator John Thune (R-SD)

Businessman John Catsimatidis (R-NY)

U.S. Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ)

Gov. Rick Snyder (R-MI)

U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)

Businessman Mark Cuban (R-TX)

Businessman Herman Cain (R-GA)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: If the GOP loses in 2016, who becomes the 2020 front-runner?  (Read 9309 times)
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »

Way too early to tell. Why not ask who the front runner is in 2024 if either party loses?
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 01:19:58 AM »

If Trump or Cruz lose to Clinton it depends on the lessons the GOP takes from the loss.  Paul/Tea Party/Republican Liberty Caucus members are right now working their way through the State parties.  Several of the state GOP parties day to day workers are what you would definitely label as "libertarian republicans" especially those under 40.    I see it first hand in networking with them.  But the Paul name is still toxic in the "professional" GOP as well.  That is why Flake, Mark Sanford, Tom Cotton, Justin Amash may have better in-roads down the line. 

Or they could draw the wrong lessons and double down on Rubio's message which is essentially the Dubya message (hence why Rubio draws so much from Jeb).  The compassionate conservatism angle that is doubled down to appeal to Hispanic Catholics.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 01:43:07 AM »

They should of already learned that Cruz & Trump polls like Romney in Southwest, not Appalachia, and Jeb or Rubio are more electable.  They will be beaten badly 69/31 to Clinton with Latinos.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »

I think the GOP would probably take a good, hard look at South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott.  
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 08:21:17 PM »

I think the GOP would probably take a good, hard look at South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott.  

Considering that Cain and Carson somehow made it as far as they did, I agree.  GOP voters love an Uncle Tom.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »

Guys, Ryan will not be a contender. Mark my words. It's like we haven't learned from this election yet.

I don't have a clue, but Rubio and few others may try again, and there will probably be a few outsider candidates who we don't know yet.
hopper
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2016, 09:18:33 PM by hopper »

I don't see Scott being President one day but I could see him  being"Governor of South Carolina" somewhere down the line maybe.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

Considering that Cain and Carson somehow made it as far as they did, I agree.  GOP voters love an Uncle Tom.
Ha, Ha your funny like there is a certain way of being black.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »

Tom Cotton.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »

Your options are weird.

Front-runners: Paul, Ernst, Cruz, Cotton
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2016, 10:59:15 PM »

Cain 2020? No.... Sorry but... no...
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 02:48:21 AM »

What about Cory Gardner of Colorado?
msnmllr
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »

Possibly Sam Brownback? However, being the Governor of Kansas, I fear that he wouldn't be too popular.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »

Possibly Sam Brownback? However, being the Governor of Kansas, I fear that he wouldn't be too popular.
No just no.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 08:08:35 PM »

If Trump picks Christie as his running mate and the ticket loses, does Christie stand a decent chance of being the early polling leader for the 2020 GOP nomination?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »

If Trump picks Christie as his running mate and the ticket loses, does Christie stand a decent chance of being the early polling leader for the 2020 GOP nomination?

No because he would become tainted by the loss like ryan/palin/edwards/lieberman before him
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »

No because he would become tainted by the loss like ryan/palin/edwards/lieberman before him

Edwards and Ryan were hardly tainted.  They were both pretty popular within their parties after their ticket lost.  But Edwards was never going to beat either Clinton or Obama in '08, whether he'd been on the '04 ticket or not.  Ryan was popular with the GOP after 2012, and probably did better in early '16 polls than he would have otherwise, simply because of all the national exposure.

Lieberman wasn't tainted either.  He (narrowly) led polls for the '04 race after Gore opted out, but lost that lead relatively quickly.  He lost that lead because the Dems in '03/'04 were never going to nominate an uber-hawk, not because he was on the 2000 ticket.

Palin was tainted among the general electorate because of her performance on the trail (and I'm not anticipating that Christie would do as poorly as she did), but remained popular among Republicans.  She led many (but no, not all) of the early polls for the 2012 nomination.  And there's no way she would have done that if she wasn't on the ticket.

Keep in mind, in my post I didn't ask if Christie would be the odds on favorite to win the nomination.  Just whether the added exposure of being the VP nominee would give him a shot at leading the early polls for the 2020 nomination.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

How about Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam? Southerner, articulate. He would be a good pick for the GOP.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »

Rubio has a chance in the next few months to set himself up as the frontrunner for 2020. If not, I think it's Ryan. GOP primary voters will be less likely to nominate a non-politician after Trump loses in 2016 (in this scenario).
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

If Trump or Cruz lose to Clinton it depends on the lessons the GOP takes from the loss.  Paul/Tea Party/Republican Liberty Caucus members are right now working their way through the State parties.  Several of the state GOP parties day to day workers are what you would definitely label as "libertarian republicans" especially those under 40.    I see it first hand in networking with them.  But the Paul name is still toxic in the "professional" GOP as well.  That is why Flake, Mark Sanford, Tom Cotton, Justin Amash may have better in-roads down the line. 

Or they could draw the wrong lessons and double down on Rubio's message which is essentially the Dubya message (hence why Rubio draws so much from Jeb).  The compassionate conservatism angle that is doubled down to appeal to Hispanic Catholics.

This.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »

This.

Agreed. There's a very deep bench of Paul types in state legislatures and whatnot. The one bone I'd have to pick there is with the inclusion of Sanford. I doubt he's going anywhere outside the House after his affair. However, anything can happen.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »

Ben Sasse could be a strong contender if trump goes down in flames in November
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2016, 07:43:12 PM »

In the short term at least, I would imagine that Cruz and Rubio, if he is able to at least win the FL primary, would be the favorites. If Trump's running mate is someone relatively conventional, whoever that is will probably be the other one most talked about.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 11:02:52 AM »

It'd be volatile and pretty wide open again. There would likely a big field again and establishment effort to correct whatever flaws let Trump win. As many as 5 2016 candidates are likely to run in 2020 if Trump loses to Hillary: Rubio, Cruz, Kasich, Christie, Paul. And even a Trump loss would inspire one or more people with no political experience to run.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies